Needing suggestions on using a Vinotheque wine fridge for long term storage

manelson05

My inlaws gave my wife and I a oak wine fridge that is temperature controlled with a freon based cooling system, since we dont store wine its just sitting here empty. My aristocrat end table is packed.

Knowing that the system will stay cool at 63-65f Im covered on the temperature spectrum. I was thinking that I might be able to place whole boxes in large boveda or heavy vinyl bags with a large 65 rh Boveda pack and seal it up and then ocassionaly burp the bags.

Would this setup be an adviseable measure to maintain the optimal environment? I keep my aristocrat set at 65/65 and it seems to hold really well year round with a few ocassional spikes. I am waiting unitl we move to order a larger Staebell cabinet.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Mark

That is brilliant! Thank you so much, I need to procur the airtight containers and get some heartfelt 1oz beads.

BTW if your interested im selling a LNIB SIG P229 Elite dark, only mention becasue one of your interests is mine as well.

Glad your stateside and a proponent of freedom.

Thank you again sir

Mark

That is brilliant! Thank you so much, I need to procur the airtight containers and get some heartfelt 1oz beads.

BTW if your interested im selling a LNIB SIG P229 Elite dark, only mention becasue one of your interests is mine as well.

Glad your stateside and a proponent of freedom.

Thank you again sir

Mark

I got my containers at walmart. 3 years into building 2 Freezerdors and everything works perfectly!!

Thanks for the offer on the Sig, I already have several Sigs in my inventory, and don't plan on picking up any more at this time. Not my favorite everyday carry by any means. I do have several Sig 1911's that I love, including the Spartan!

By no means do I have the knowledge of Pigfish or others, but I have had fantastic success with our large, almost 6' tall Liebherr wine fridge. It is filled to the brim with wonderful boxes of cigars.

The temp control, as you say is not an issue. We set ours at 68 and forget it. The bigger issue is humidity, which changes seasonally where we live. Fall and spring? It practically takes care of itself at 65.

In the summer, however, to keep the interior from moving upwards of 72, we have that unscented chemical free or whatever it's called crystal cat litter in knee hi panty hose, in tin foil baking pans to absorb all excess moisture.

In the winter, to remedy the humidy from a dry 55, we fill those same tins wth lots of water. As well, I fill a mason jar, with the insert removed from the lid, with water and put it on the bottom shelf.

Perhaps not the most technical or sophisticated solutions, but I live in a rural town of about 200. Being inventive is sometimes the only way to get results and this has worked perfectly.

CB

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have about 20 boxes in the large boveda bags and a few of the containers recomended.

Any thoughts of adding a staebell humidfication system and running the humidity around 58 RH due to the moisture coming from the condensation cooling system?

Independently bagging or boxing cigars and placing them in a cool box is not my specialty. David and Dennis and possibly several others are keen on this idea and are very happy with their results. As see from posts above, they are also (generally) very helpful on putting another on the right path with these types of systems. These cooled passive system ultimately cost much less, and store far more cigars than a system I would term fully automated. I do also believe that they are easier to build.

Ultimately, if you find the right mix of passive ingredients and mix them with your cigars I cannot see why this would not be a wonderful long term storage solution. It is however not how I approach storing cigars.

By posting that you have questions about automating your system you have peaked my interest in chiming in here. While a controller appears to be at the onset an easy accomplishment, you simply buy a controller and plug it in, I might warn you that this is anything but the case.

While each cooler will provide its own personality (just ask anyone that I have assisted in building a controlled solution) solid humidor theory, as well as good controls and appliances are necessary to building a working controlled humidor. A controller alone will not likely do it, but since I don't live in a world of absolutes, I will refrain from saying cannot pull it off.

PLC's or programable logic controllers are just part of a potential solution. They can cause as much harm as good in the wrong hands! I mean, you can do a lot of work, or a lot of damage with Cat D9...! If you don't know what you are doing, I will bet you will end up with more damage than work!

The analogy is a gross one, but you get the picture.

Sound humidor design includes rapid cooling and hydration when cooling is required. It also (IMHO) requires rapid dehydration where required! In my case, in my varied climate it also includes heating.

A consummate humidor solution is not an accidental process created by removing parts from a FedEx box and placing them in a cooled space where once switched on, you find cigar Utopia. This is a cigar board myth and vendor (of controlled solutions) fabrication. In layman's terms, it is an untruth!

This is what I consider a working automated humidor. Look at the various conditions that it overcomes.

post-79-0-26459500-1428768436_thumb.png

What is more all my cigars are the same. This means that there is no attending to various sealed boxes and the differentials of their separate microclimates. I reach in, grab any box of cigars and they are the same. I close the door and within a few minutes, all the damage done to my climate by the air exchange is reversed and my cigars once more return to 'my' cigar Utopia. The only way to get this is with a lot of hard work, some insight, a great design, as well as great appliances and a great controller.

A working humidor is not defined by me for anyone but me. However, my humidors work and I am happy to define mine in the class that does work!

Like any other purveyor of controls I could take your money if you wanted to buy my stuff. However, if you don't have what I consider a working plan or budget, I would highly discourage you from moving from a solution that you consider working to one that I consider not working just to make a buck. You should consider running anyone that you buy controls from through the ringer for answers before buying any additional controls. That is just my opinion!

Good luck on your projects.

-Prof. Pig