Your best shot....

Golf is one of those "sports" where you can play lousy the whole day and then make that one shot that makes you want to golf again instead of throwing your clubs in the water trap. Let me preface this by saying when it comes to golf, I had a boss (serious golfer) say "I'll never golf with you again!" Lets just say if I didn't rent the cart I may never finish the game. But I did make a crazy good shot that if filmed would make a highlight real.

It was the ninth hole, one of those par 3 three's that courses use to gather their stock of used balls to sell. I other words a giant water trap. I used a three wood where most good golfers would have used a iron. I walloped the ball and it flew 30 deg. too far right, but it had wicked spin and turned back left heading straight into the drink. The ball was spining so fast and at a low angle so it skipped on the surface of the pond, but not far enough. Then it skipped again, still not far enough and it was too low to clear the lip of the pond. Then it skipped a third time hitting a wave that angled it up past the pond rim and on to the green, rolling dirrectly toward the cup. It stopped 3' short of the hole. If it had gone 3' further and into the cup I cant imagine a wilder shot. Needless to say I may have not won, but my shot was the story of the game. At least among my friends. What was your best shot?

• Like 1

haven't played for about 20 years and still remember a heap of them.

playing in a corporate comp one day. we were the last group and the 2nd last hole, a par 3, the nearest the pin competition hole. i hooked off into a foresty swamp. ball lost. we were chatting and i'm about to take another when someone says what is that? we thought a mouse was running across the green till it stopped a foot from the hole. my ball. apparently banged around the swamp and then shot out. get there and see the previous leading 'nearest the pin' recorded is in the group in front. and it was two foot. so the prize is given to me at the dinner that night and the previous lot blow up (can sort of understand as you'd think two foot from the hole, and only one group to go, you'd be safe, but it was poor form). much unpleasantness (just what the organisers at a corporate golf day want!) but thankfully the club captain was in our four and verified mine. not that the tossers ever apologised.

a few others.

i remember driving to about six foot from the hole on a par 3. a very rare occurrence (unless a nearby swamp). managed to stuff the putt so badly i ended up well off the green. then chipped in from off the green for a par.

another day, a hole-in-one-ish. stuffed my drive and ended up on the ladies tee. then hit the drive from the ladies tee into the hole. so a hole-in-one-ish.

played in the himalayas once and had a crow fly down and take my ball from the green (what really pissed me off was that it was a cracker shot i could not repeat) and fly off and drop it in a nearby creek. apparently the crow was well known for it.

i could go on.

Haha nice story. I've played golf for 18 years and I've had my fair share of Eagles, My most memorable shot though was probably when I was 9 years old and made a birdie on the third hole of the Mauna Kea on the Big Island.

I have had tons of golf shots that I can remember like they happened yesterday. Holes-in-one, eagles from the fairway, one-putt eagles, miracle shots out of the trees and bunkers...but one shot will stick in my mind forever.

It was 1983, I was 15, and my best friend and I had decided to get a junior summer membership at the local public course. We were out one morning, and on the sixth hole, a fairly short, 90 degree dog-leg right hole with trees and OB to the right off the tee until you reach the dog-leg, OB long off the tee, then, a pond all the way down the right side from the dog-leg to the green and OB on the left from long off the tee to around the back of the green to the water. The entire fairway and green sloped left to right with everything going toward OB right and the pond. Penalty strokes of some type were the norm on this hole. Any way, that morning I hit a perfect tee shot that took the slope and rolled around the corner of the dogleg but ended up in the right rough about 115 yards from the grren. The pin was on the front of the green that morning, and I took a 9-iron out of the wet rough and sent the ball sailing through the air, on line with the flag but just a bit to the left. The ball landed softly on the green about eight feet short and left of the hole. It took the left to right slope and rolled into hole. My first eagle and longest hole-out, at the time.

Even to this day, I can still remember everything about that shot...the smell of fresh cut grass, the warm breeze, the sounds of the birds chirping and mowers in the distance...just like it happened yesterday.

We have a 5 hole course on site that is a horse shoe shape, a dirt course so the terrain is all rock and sand. Think Mars terrain. You tee off from hole one on the bottom right side of the horse shoe. and go around to hole 5 on the bottom left side of the horseshoe.

I teed off at 1, came straight off the sweet spot, rocketed straight out, a bit low though, hit the ground, bounced on straight, then hit a massive rock, recoheted to the left, then hit another rock and ricoched to the left again and was heading for the sand green of hole 5. We heard a metal "ting" sound and no one saw where it went. We tried looking for it but no dice.

We continue the game and get to hole 5, and as the first guy is going to make his putt, I pull out the flag and out comes the ball I hit from tee at hole 1. The metal ting sound msut have been the ball bouncing on the roller (we roll the sand green lmao.gif as there was absolutely no trace of the ball hitting the sand of the green at all, no marks anywhere to be seen!

I have since retired from the game tongue.png

• Like 1

Playing a round at Rosnay golf course with a couple of friends. Can't remember which hole it was, but I was about 130m from the green, so I grab my 8 iron. My shot was clean and true, soaring high up, heading for the pin. It lands behind the pin on the slope... and stops completely dead. It should have at least bounced up the slope a bit before rolling down, but nope. Dead stop.

My friends eventually make their way to the green, and there we find my ball, buried 4/5 into the green! Manage to pry my ball out of the green and there was no way we could have repaired that crater.

It was a beautiful, sunny Sunday afternoon while Moses, Jesus, and another guy were out playing golf. On the first tee-box, Moses pulls out his driver and blisters a shot up the right side of the fairway, rolling fast towards a water hazard. Moses quickly raised his club, parting the water while his ball rolls through to the other side safely.

Next up on the tee, Jesus hits a really long drive right towards the very same water hazard. His ball came to rest dead center of the pond, hovering just over the surface of the water. Jesus casually walks out onto the pond, and chips it up onto the green within a couple feet of the flagstick.

Not impressed, the third guy steps up to the tee without taking any time and just randomly whacks at the ball. Rightfully so, the ball is hit with a nasty hook that clears the left OB markers and goes over a fence into oncoming traffic. It bounces off a truck’s windshield hitting a nearby tree, bounces onto the roof of the greenkeeper’s shed, back out onto the fairway and towards the same pond that Moses and Jesus hit. Before it gets wet, the ball ricochets off a small rock and bounces onto a lily pad on over the water when a bullfrog jumped up and ate the ball. Right at that moment, a bald eagle swoops down and grabs the frog, flying away. As it flew over the green, the frog squeals with fright and drops the ball right next to the flagstick, taking one bounce and landing in the cup for an astounding hole in one.

In disgust, Moses then turns to Jesus and says, “I hate playing with your dad,"

• Like 4

Been golfing pretty much my whole life, except for about a four year period when I was seriously pissed at my driver,

but I digress.

Have had plenty of the normal stuff, eagles birdies, bogies, etc.

My best shot isn't one of those.

Several years ago we were teeing off on a heavily wooded course, from an elevated tee,

when out of no where a cart enters from the right woods.

We had been standing on the tee several minutes and thought the group ahead was well gone.

My drive, akin to a guided missle, headed straight at the cart, as it crosses the fairway.

The ball bounces off the cart floor underneath the driver's legs and flies out the other side landing center cut.

Most amazing shot I've ever seen.

Been golfing pretty much my whole life, except for about a four year period when I was seriously pissed at my driver,

but I digress.

Have had plenty of the normal stuff, eagles birdies, bogies, etc.

My best shot isn't one of those.

Several years ago we were teeing off on a heavily wooded course, from an elevated tee,

when out of no where a cart enters from the right woods.

We had been standing on the tee several minutes and thought the group ahead was well gone.

My drive, akin to a guided missle, headed straight at the cart, as it crosses the fairway.

The ball bounces off the cart floor underneath the driver's legs and flies out the other side landing center cut.

Most amazing shot I've ever seen.

Back when I was seventeen,I was playing at Marrickville GC. In front of a group of ladies, and was walking down the right side of the fairway. They thought I was out of range so let one fly... which hit my buggy. No call out, no "Four!", just <whack> right into the buggy.

I look back and one waves an apology, so I wave back and keep walking. Thirty seconds later... <whack> right into my left shoulder blade!! I was not amused, to say the least. tantrum.gif

Hit the green on a longish par 4 from the tee once. 3 putted it though and only ended up with a par.

Done this but got a bird. Was one of the most memorable for me because I am not a big hitter on the drives.

One of my more memorable shots was just recently where a drive ended up centre fairway. Unfortunately, it was not on the hole I should have been playing at the time. It was early so no other golfers were even on that hole. When I went to play my ball back onto my own fairway, I saw a family of monkeys. They had a procession that seemed to be headed at a point close to my ball. In Singapore these monkeys are not uncommon. I thought I would wait until they passed and take my shot. As they were passing by, one of the monkeys walked up to my ball and literally rubbed his butt and genitals all over it while staring at me. He then took the ball and caught up to his family who hadn't stopped to watch. He didn't even bother to look back. My golf partner gave me a free drop :)

I was playing in a tournament at Glenn Abby, the site of many a Canadian open, when on a long par 4 I pushed the tee shot right into a fairly thick wooded area. Had about 180 to the green and the choices were to either chip it sideways or try a high draw through a 15 yard diameter opening in the wooded canopy. Chose the later and with a smooth 7 iron made the swing. The ball sailed straight through the opening in the tree tops and then curved to the left about 40 yards and stuck it 1 foot from the hole. Unfortunately it was the local pro that hit the shot as we were playing alternate shot in a pro am match. My shot was the tee shot and his was the approach. But I will claim an assist as I set him up for the the most amazing golf shot I have ever seen in person.

Hello all...this is my first post on the forum outside of the newb intros...might as well be about golf right?...lol...i started golfing left for 8 yrs then switched to right for last 12 but still putt left...its messed up but sometimes helpful...i hooked a drive on the par 5 18th at Inglewood gc here in calgary...it curved threw and missed the 60 foot spruces that separate the fairway from the driving range fence...nestled up a to about 18 inches from the barrier...flipped over a 5 iron and hit the ball lefty back over the line of trees onto the green in 2...missed the eagle putt and tapped in for birdie...until i make my first ace that is my best shot...