brucce on tour

saw the heatwave, hunter and staying alive ones. all sensational. Bruce Springsteen plays Lorde, Bee Gees and AC/DC – a cover version for every city

The Boss’s current tour of the southern hemisphere has seen him perform a city-specific cover version during most shows. Here’s the pick of them

bc970359-86ee-483f-b2b8-577f5eaf8887-460Boss time … Bruce Springsteen kicks off his Australian tour at the Perth Arena, where he covered AC/DC’s Highway to Hell. Photograph: Tony McDonough/AAP
1 Free Nelson Mandela (Cape Town, Johannesburg)

Why? Come on, do we really need to explain why a singer famed for political engagement would be performing the Special AKA’s song in South Africa, not long after the death of Nelson Mandela? Just as fabulously, on the second night in Cape Town, the encores began with a version of Sun City, the all-star protest song Springsteen’s right-hand man Steve van Zandt put together under the banner of Artists United Against Apartheid in 1985.

2 Highway to Hell (Perth, Adelaide, Melbourne)

Why? Aside from it being one of the best rock songs ever? The late Bon Scott, AC/DC’s original singer – though Scottish-born – lived with his family in the Perth suburb of Fremantle from 1956 (there’s a statue of him there). Having performed the song in Perth, it made sense to keep it in the set for some of the other shows, given AC/DC’s status as Australia’s greatest rock’n’roll band.

3 Heatwave (Adelaide)

Why? The Martha and the Vandellas classic has featured – as have many old soul and R&B numbers – in Springsteen shows before. But there was a particular reason for it opening the Adelaide set. As Springsteen said to the crowd as the show began: “I thought it was hot yesterday. What the **** is going on today?”

4 Friday on My Mind (Sydney)

Why? The Easybeats, from Sydney, were Australian rock’s first superstars – in 1965, where the UK had Beatlemania, Australia had “Easyfever”. Friday on My Mind, from 1966, ws their big international hit, reaching No 6 in the UK and No 16 in the US. And there’s a connection back to AC/DC: George Young of the Easybeats is the older brother of DC’s Angus and Malcolm. And with his fellow Easybeat Harry Vanda, he produced AC/DC’s early albums. Later in that same show, Springsteen would offer another Aussie tribute, in the form of a cover of INXS’s Don’t Change.

5 Drinkin’ Wine Spo-Dee-O-Dee (Hunter Valley)

Why? Well, if the venue is the Hope Estate Winery, you may as well open your set with a song about drinking, one best known in its version by Jerry Lee Lewis. The second night at the Winery would get a different drinking song, in the shape of a version of Spill the Wine by Eric Burdon and War.

6 Stayin’ Alive (Brisbane)

Why? It would be fair to say the E Street Band can do many things. But rarely has it been suggested they are one of the great disco bands. Still, that didn’t stop the Boss leading them into a cover of the Saturday Night Fever staple when the tour touched down in Queensland, home to the Gibbs for a decade or so from the late 50s until they came to London in 1967. This doesn’t sound an awful lot like the Bee Gees, but it’s undeniably great. As Barry Gibb tweeted: “Dear Bruce @springsteen, just been blown away by your Stayin’ Alive. You brought it back to life. Thank you!”

7 Royals (Auckland)

Why? If the previous cover versions had all been demonstrations of Springsteen’s impeccable grasp of rock and pop history, he chose New Zealand to show he’s up to date, too, with an acoustic cover of the inescapable song of 2013, Royals by local girl Lorde. As ever, it doesn’t matter what the source material sounded like, because in X Factor parlance, Springsteen “makes it his own”.

Could the site now be Bruce-resistant?

One could hope so for miracles... wink.png

Kens original post actually summed it all up. If you look closely, the forum itself kept saying: Why? Why? Why? lol3.gif

• Like 1

One could hope so for miracles... wink.png

Kens original post actually summed it all up. If you look closely, the forum itself kept saying: Why? Why? Why? lol3.gif

Oh man, brace yourself from the oncoming verbal shitstorm... :P

To Ken, that's what happen when you go on exile for too long ;)

• Like 1

I just can't believe how um chubby Steve van Zandt got. He looks like the crazy Gypsy lady my mom always warned us about. She lived down the road and ate bad children.

purely by chance, today in the nyt.

Born to Read

By JOHN WILLIAMS

OCT. 30, 2014
Photo
02openbook-master675.jpg
CreditJoon Mo Kang

Having been securely canonized at this stage in his career, Bruce Springsteen has increasingly become the subject of popular and scholarly literature. (Springsteen talks about his own life as a reader in this week’s By the Book.)

In the 2012 biography “Bruce,” Peter Ames Carlin began with a bit of rock lore: “The first time anyone called Bruce Springsteen the Boss was in the early weeks of 1971, in the dining room of a chilly apartment on the edge of downtown Asbury Park.” The singer’s mythic stature inspired Craig Statham to reach much further back for the opening sentence of his book “Springsteen. Saint in the City: 1949-1974”: “The drive to populate the northern Americas began in earnest in the early 17th century. . . . “

Academics have compared the Boss’s themes and techniques to a wide range of American writers. For a collaborative cultural study in 2012, David N. Gellman, a history professor at DePauw University in Indiana, contributed a paper subtitled “Spring­steen, Richard Ford, and the American Dream.” “Springsteen’s characters, like Ford’s, live in an empire where they exercise little power except to perpetrate, or permit, some chilling act of violence,” Gellman wrote.

Ford offered his own, more poetic than scholarly opinion of Springsteen’s music in a 1985 essay for Esquire. “Springsteen’s phrases — tinted as they are with loss and time’s little escapes — have become potent business to me, since they are full of emotion and canniness I didn’t guess could adhere to the bits of life he sings about,” Ford wrote. “And if it’s true I’m not completely transported, I’m at least moved to think that this is rock ‘n’ roll of a somewhat higher order than I’ve known up to now.”

Quotable

“The training is to keep your eyes open and your mouth shut, which is excellent training for a novelist as well. Don’t jump to conclusions, don’t finish people’s sentences for them.” — Amy Bloom, on being a therapist, inan interview with the Los Angeles Review of Books

Pledging to Didion

On Oct. 22, the actor Griffin Dunne and the filmmaker Susanne Rostock took to the website Kickstarter to fund-raise for a documentary about Joan Didion. (Dunne is Didion’s nephew.) Hundreds of the writer’s fans quickly trumpeted the news on social media. The Kickstarter model includes incentives for various levels of investment, and the Didion project has a few doozies: a copy of Didion’s personal recipes (“pork roast with corn souffle, gumbo, linguini bolognese and much more”) for a pledge of $50 or more; the opportunity to write a two-page letter to Didion for $350; and for $2,500, a pair of sunglasses from Didion’s personal collection — domestic or international shipping charges included, naturally.

A version of this article appears in print on November 2, 2014, on page BR4 of the Sunday Book Review with the headline: Born to Read Pledging to Didion. Order Reprints|Today's Paper|Subscribe

NEXT IN SUNDAY BOOK REVIEW Bruce Springsteen: By the Book

• 3 weeks later...

For anyone who is interested

20140923_bruce1.jpg

'Bruce Springsteen: The Album Collection Vol. 1 1973-1984' box set out now

20140923_bruce2.jpg

The CD and vinyl box set Bruce Springsteen: The Album Collection Vol. 1 1973-1984 is available everywhere now! The set contains newly remastered editions of Bruce's first seven albums (five for the first time ever on CD), and all seven are making their remastered debut on vinyl.

The seven albums are recreations of their original packaging and the set is accompanied by a 60-page book featuring rarely-seen photos, memorabilia and original press clippings from Bruce's first decade as a recording artist.

Albums included in the box set:
Greetings From Asbury Park, N.J. (1973)
The Wild, The Innocent and The E Street Shuffle (1973)
Born To Run (1975)
Darkness On The Edge Of Town (1978)
The River (1980)
Nebraska (1982)
Born In The U.S.A. (1984)

Watch the unboxing video >>
Order the CD Box Set >>
Order the Vinyl Box Set >>
Download on iTunes >>

Live Springsteen store now open!

A never-before-released live recording of Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band's first show at The Apollo Theater on 03/09/12 is now available for purchase on live.brucespringsteen.net. The site launched yesterday along with high quality live recordings from 30 previously released concerts taped during the 2014 High Hopes Tour plus Springsteen's entire album catalog.

bs120309_01.jpg

The Apollo Theater recording, mixed by Bob Clearmountain and mastered by Bob Ludwig, also marks the first in a series of new archival releases that will be made available on live.brucespringsteen.net. Each of the 31 concerts that are available now are available as a 3-CD set with custom artwork or as high-resolution 24-bit downloads, MP3s, or lossless CD-Quality downloads.

For any one else that is interested

Fans of the show Lilyhammer will guest star Bruce this upcoming season

post-5203-0-81132500-1416441749_thumb.jp

post-5203-0-78399200-1416441768_thumb.jp

post-5203-0-54754000-1416441789_thumb.jp

post-5203-0-18081100-1416441798_thumb.jp

post-5203-0-09467200-1416441814_thumb.jp

post-5203-0-00406400-1416441823_thumb.jp

post-5203-0-05234900-1416441834_thumb.jp

post-5203-0-52923000-1416441844_thumb.jp

Have dowloaded some of the Aussie Shows and the quality is excellent,and got better during the tour with Brisbane being the best for sound etc etc.

Kittys back from the Perth show is still the best though,slightly better than Brissy version IMO

I downloaded the FLAC version and converted to apple lossless which is a similar quality

sensational news.

there was a great moment in the first series (i think, or 2nd?). the entrance to the town is over a very long low bridge. the scene is mid-winter, snow everywhere (if memory serves). one of the villains is revving up his machine to enter the town by way of the bridge - the machine being a motorised wheelchair. as he sets off in total silence, suddenly we get 'born to run' in full volume. perhaps you had to see it.

Have dowloaded some of the Aussie Shows and the quality is excellent,and got better during the tour with Brisbane being the best for sound etc etc.

Kittys back from the Perth show is still the best though,slightly better than Brissy version IMO

I downloaded the FLAC version and converted to apple lossless which is a similar quality

i think i have seen or downloaded pretty much the lot. adelaide great fun, especially the second night. the hunter stuff good but different. understand what you say re the version of kitty's back and perth - for me lineball. sydney, i think, where he did the full 'born to run' (or was that melb - memory playing up) fabulous.

but overall, the brizzy concert not just the stellar show of the tour but the best i've ever seen.

I did great moment,what a great homage and comedic at the same time

Just as a foot note Box set available here on the 21st of November

Just sourced this from Rolling Stone

Bruce Springsteen Launches Archival Concert Download Service
720x405-465414377.jpg
By Andy Greene | November 18, 2014

Earlier this year, we asked Bruce Springsteen about the possibility of releasing official concert recordings that have circulated within his fan community for years. "I suppose it would be nice to get some of the classic concerts that have kept people's interest over the past 20, 30 or even 40 years and maybe formalize them in some way," he said. "That's not off the drawing board."

This week, it went from the drawing board to reality with the launch of live.brucespringsteen.net. The site is offering downloads of most shows from the 2014 High Hopes Tour, a complete performance of Born To Run from a recent show in New Zealand and, in the first volume of their archival series, the launch of the Wrecking Ball tour at New York's Apollo Theater on March 9th, 2012. The shows are available via MP3 ($9.95), lossless ($12.95), HD-Audio ($19.95) and CD ($23).

This new live series was put together by nugs.net, an organization that's previously worked with Pearl Jam, Phish and Metallica on their own live downloads. In an interview with Backstreets, the site's founder and CEO Brad Sterling said he initially reached out to Springsteen's camp in 2009 and got turned down, but when he tried again this year, they were suddenly interested. It turns out that Springsteen changed his mind when he realized just how many of his shows were available on YouTube.

"He was like, 'We can do better than this. We own the masters!" said Sterling. "What's great is, he wasn't saying, '**** those guys. Take that stuff down. Screw YouTube.' It was, 'If this is happening, we should be doing it officially.'"

The archive series may be starting with a relatively recent show, but expect them to dig deeper into Springsteen's history with future releases. "It's very exciting to think about the different eras that will be covered," said Sterling. "And what's really interesting is where the tapes are coming from. What's in the vault; what isn't. Not all of it is in their archives, so they are sourcing material now."

Future plans are vague, but Sterling indicated they are likely to offer famous 1970s shows that have circulated for decades. Those will presumably include Philadelphia 2/5/75, Passaic, NJ 9/19/78 and San Francisco 12/15/78. While most shows will likely be sourced from soundboard tapes, multi-track tapes and radio broadcasts, Sterling indicated that audience tapes have been used on past Nugs.net projects and they might be used again at some point for a Springsteen release.

It's also possible the series will release music that predates Springsteen's 1973 debut album. "I had a whole other career as a heavy-metal guitarist that never came out on record anywhere," he said earlier this year when asked about the possibility of releasing archival material. "There's tons of music. I never close the door on any of it."

In addition to concert recordings, the new website also offers high-resolution downloads of every album in Springsteen's catalog.