One vs the other

So like most on here I smoke some CCs and NCs. Recently started realizing the need for dry boxing the CCs prior to smoking despite keeping them at 65 RH. That got me thinking. I never had burn or smoking issues with NC thus no need to dry box. I have also noticed a number of brothers mentioning they keep their NCs closer to 70 RH. Perhaps this has been answered but my search on FOH has not found the answer: why would Cuban tobacco or cigars required a lower humidity? Only thing I could find was CCs containing more tobacco hence the "Cuban draw" and therein lies the answer.

Good question! I don't think I've seen a discussion on it either. It may be mostly a personal preference topic but similar topics suggest that your best flavor in CC's will be at closer to 65F/65%. Personal observation regarding your question, I've noticed my loose whole leaf tobacco takes on moisture at different levels.

My experience has been that most NC cigars have a very open draw so they would be wind tunnels at lower humidity opposed to CC which tend to have a tighter roll/draw.

• Like 4

I have no current experience with NC cigars… My memory of them runs the gamut from insipid to harsh. I smoke strictly CCs.

Try taking one cigar. Cut it and really dry it out. I mean a week or more in dry conditions until it gets hard. Smoke it… If the cigar is any good at all, you will likely find a whole world to be discovered by dryer CCs. I say to dry it this way, so that there is no second guessing if the cigar is dry and if its dry state has a bearing on its taste. It will also teach you something about CCs. That is, their taste does not disappear with the water…

My preference is for 60rH at 70˚F and I use certified equipment. This means that my temp and rH readings are pretty accurate. Since I build logic controlled systems as a side line, I am very sure of my settings and I can prove them.

Surely it is all a matter of taste. Risk one cigar and try the dry test. I have converted many CC smokers with this test and this example. On the other hand, if you don't like the taste and the test, you have learned not to trust my judgement…! -LOL Either way, you learn something!

Cheers! -Piggy

• Like 2