Formula E

So it seems there will now be an all-electric racing circuit: http://www.fiaformulae.com/

They'll have US events in Long Beach and Miami next Spring.

The cars aren't as quiet as you might think https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IptBVdys-mo#t=102

Wonder how long the batteries will last? Should be interesting!

• Like 1

Wow, that'll be really cool....and just might help break electric cars into a more mainstream production.

i hope so here...

we just got electric smart cars here in toronto. good commuting vehicles for the suburbs and everything - but not for anything else

on top of that, good ol' tesla is making a 35 000 dollar electric. they also released all their patents for free-use so BMW can improve their all-electric systems.

Not just for cars, though. Electric vehicular research provides another avenue for other methods of power. Instead of having batteries to power cars (and phones, and laptops, and everything else), they can further research into capacitors as a method of powering objects. This way, we can just charge our phones in 5 seconds, our laptops in 30, and our cars in 120...

… coal powered cars! Just what the world needed!!! Sounds like regression to me! -LOL -Piggy

You'll have little hamsters shovelling coals into the furnace and everything! ^_^

Ugh... cigcars is rubbing off on me

Sent by the Enigma on BlackBerry.

I actually like the sound of these new Formula E cars more than I like the sound of the 2014 F1 cars. Electric cars should sound like electric cars - I think it would be odd as hell to have an electric car sound like a "real" car. Now, the F1 cars, on the other hand, sounded absolutely proper when they were being pushed down the track with a 2.4L V8 engine screaming at 18K rpm. That's how F1 should sound. This season's 1.6L V6 turbos are just plain stupid. I'll take the Formula E sound over that godawful greenie F1 sound any day.

• Like 2

You'll have little hamsters shovelling coals into the furnace and everything! happy.png

Ugh... cigcars is rubbing off on me

Sent by the Enigma on BlackBerry.

… GET ME another hamster… This one I whipped to death shoveling…

Piggy's attempt at green transportation! Fat man on a little cart!!!

post-79-0-94092800-1409863055_thumb.jpg

I like the sound of little hooves a-tapping. Goes good with a nice cigar. -Piggy

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Matt Brabham to spark up Malaysian Formula E with Andretti

formula-e-july-donington-park-test-2014-

The two famous names - Brabham and Andretti join forces again.
Matt Brabham has been drafted into the Andretti Formula-E team for the second event of the FIA’s all-electric formula this weekend in the Malaysian city of Putrajaya.
At the age of 20, Matt will be the youngest driver in the field, which includes no less than 11 ex-Formula 1 pilots and a number of drivers with current INDYCAR and GP2 experience.
At the Beijing ePrix in September, Matt played a critical role in Andretti Formula-E’s strategic approach to the race, which saw Franck Montagny and Charles Pic finish second and fourth respectively, annexing the Michael Andretti-led outfit first place in the team’s Championship.
Behind the Spark
Matt Brabham: “It’s going to be an exciting weekend to race in Malaysia, it’s come about fairly quickly, but I’m ready for the challenge,” Brabham said.
“The Andretti Formula-E team worked hard on preparing these unique cars for tight street circuits and that paid dividends in China. I’ve been communicating closely with the engineers since then to come up with new ideas and strategies for the future races - so hopefully we can move forward again.
“Formula E caught my eye from the beginning - the technology is intriguing and to get the chance to finally race after doing some early testing is really cool.
“The talent and experience in the field is tremendous - it’s the best that you’re likely to see outside a Formula 1 World Championship race. As an up and coming driver, it’s very rare that you get an opportunity to race drivers with such experience.
“I’m the youngest in the field, which is a real honor, but that doesn’t mean anything when the lights go out - I’m there to do a job for Andretti Formula-E and position myself as best I can.
“It will really help us if we can get the FanBoost, which is an awesome idea to get the fans involved.
“I ask everyone to jump onto FanBoost site and vote for me, so I have that bit extra power for five seconds.
“Electric is the future of where motorsport and our road cars are going. ‘Pop’ (Sir Jack) was at the forefront of bringing new thinking into motorsport and many of the innovations he brought into Formula 1 and INDYCAR 50-odd years ago are still talked about today.”
Matt Brabham

I'm actually rather interested in seeing one of the Formula E races. A year ago I would have had no interest in anything with an electric motor..but that is slowly changing (though nothing will replace a good ol piston engine)

I myself have no interest but I found that news about Brabham and figured I'd keep the thread alive. I know electric is the future, hoping as the technology gets better, this formula gets more interesting, THEN I might watch it ;)

• Like 1