Current Churchill offering recommendations

Hi everyone, since there are really only 5 Churchill sized cigars under current production, it should be a simple process of elimination regarding current recommended offerings. It is such a same that this size was essentially killed-off in favor of the double-corona and larger gauge sized trends. I personally have found that the Churchill sized cigars have the best overall balance of flavor possibilities and size and is quite less imitating than the DCs.

I sure hope that at least, Churchill's we be offered more regularly as limited or regional offering..in the mean time...your thoughts and recommendations?

Cohiba Esplendios - way to inconsistent and hardly ever seen as HQ/PSP in the hand picked offerings, so this one is pretty much out for me. Especially considering the price for this brand.

R&J Churchill -seems like these have risen to the top in terms or recent quality. May be the best alternative in terms of availability and quality.

Quai d Orsay Imperiales - 3rd choice...still hardly ever seen in HQ or PSP.

Bolivar Gigantes - open to purchase, but have not seen much feedback either way. Could be a hard horse?

H Upmann Sir Winnie - my top pick, but finding it is nearly impossible. INCREASE PRODUCTION! My number one pick if the stars align.

Prez....what are you seeing in terms of Quality and Availability in 2014?

Quai d Orsay Imperiales - 3rd choice...still hardly ever seen in HQ or PSP.

So what? I have yet to see a "bad" box of Imperiales. Everytime I look at them in a shop I find, in the worst case, well rolled cigars dressed in a typically claro wrapper of decent quality.

• Like 1

I agree, rarely seeing them in HQ or PSP hardly means much. Could be they are not so popular, so Rob doesn't bother ordering too many of them. Could be the profit margin on them is minimal, so again, less orders. Could be any number of reasons. RyJ Churchills are all the buzz now because the Reserva and the new RyJ EL, so more people are likely trying them again after some truly horrible years.

For me;

Bolivar Gigantes

Cohiba Esplendido (minimum 4 years)

And the rest are all far, far, far behind. Personal taste is all.

• Like 1

I agree with sactocris about the Sir Winston, but I can also recommend the Boli Gigantes and Boli Libertadores.

This post was beamed up by Scotty...

Cohiba Esplendios - with age.... Nothing beats this cigar IMHO

R&J Churchill - you are correct.... Recent offerings are very good.... Let's see how they age...

Quai d Orsay Imeriales - have not had a bad cigar yet.... My boxes are from 2010 and 2012

Bolivar Gigantes - delicious cigar... just finishing 08 box... Next up is a 2012

H Upmann Sir Winnie - I rank this cigar right behind the Esply.... So refined, elegant and enjoyable... Cannot go wrong if you like the marca.

Could be any number of reasons. RyJ Churchills are all the buzz now because the Reserva and the new RyJ EL, so more people are likely trying them again after some truly horrible years.

BOTH HAVE BEEN AWFUL. TERRIBLE!!!!

Well fine... The Reserva wasn't terrible but was a very mediocre cigar. I would smoke it again but not at that price. Very plain.

The De Luxe on the other hand..... mob.gifmob.gif:mob:

Back on topic (normally i'd just edit my above post. But i can't have these cigars together in the same thread with the RyJ RR or RyJ LE13):

-RyJ Churchill-T is probably my favourite regular production churchill. 2-3 years in the tubes and they're splendid! Regular RyJ -Churchills just don't do it for me. And i've tried them up to 5 years and can't hold a candle.

-Corona Gigantes can be smoked right out of the boxes. Very good, i find.

-I've never actually had a QdO Imperiales... Never appealed to me.

-Sir Winnies and Esplendidos i find always get the same ratings from me. Not only that, but the aged ones are probably impossible to differentiate.Another ROTT cigar but amazing after age.

Now. If you can find some Partagas Churchill de Luxe. i'd highly recommend it. Shame they discontinued that. I can hardly find a Partagas i like. But these ones are finger licking good!!

Thank you everyone so far for your feedback...I am starting to narrow it down to Bolivar and QdO. Probably Boli for me since I have only had the Beli and Gold Medal so far and they have not disappointed. Plus I do love the QdO corona.

BOTH HAVE BEEN AWFUL. TERRIBLE!!!!

Well fine... The Reserva wasn't terrible but was a very mediocre cigar. I would smoke it again but not at that price. Very plain.

The De Luxe on the other hand..... mob.gifmob.gifmob.gif

I have not had the Reserva yet. Wasn't crazy about the EL sadly. I was hoping for similarities to the Duke, but found none. Still, the hype is there and there are people who love both and hope or imagine it translates to the regular production churchill.

knowing us, you would probably flip over the Reserva and beg for a my box. and i'd probably give it to you no charge

Just like Dukes and most of the other cigars smoked!

rotfl.gifrotfl.gif

I have a fiver somewhere. I'm gonna dig them out sometime in the next couple weeks and smoke one or two to see.

No matter how incredible the cigar may be, I have bought and sold my share of reservas, gran reservas, rare REs, etc...never found a single one with VALUE when compared to a simple BBF or RG CE.

No matter how incredible the cigar may be, I have bought and sold my share of reservas, gran reservas, rare REs, etc...never found a single one with VALUE when compared to a simple BBF or RG CE.

give me all your MC No. 4 Reservas and i'll toss you all the regular productions you want!! lol3.gif

One I have never had...along with the CGR....lol

... arguably the best ones!!

not i... The Cohiba GRs were doo-doo compared to the Monte GRs. Which were infinitesimally negligible in flavour compared to the Monte RRs.

... arguably the best ones!!

not i... The Cohiba GRs were doo-doo compared to the Monte GRs. Which were infinitesimally negligible in flavour compared to the Monte RRs.

This is a confusing sentence.

Sorry to the op for going ot.

I'm very interested in this topic as well, having been trying to decide between Sir Winstons and RyJ Churchills for a while.

I've heard nothing but rave reviews of the Sir Winstons.

The RyJ on the other hand is the classic, to my knowledge, that you would have likely found Sir Winston smoking. Seems like it had fallen on hard times (but is possibly making a comeback recently??).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I actually prefer the identical "black sheep" of a twin to the Sir Winnie, but they are a tough one to find now sadly.

Boli Gigantes are a great creamy cigar that has yet to disappoint me, yet I don't hold a box. I'd best get on that!

The Esplendido I really like, but that price tag is insane, and I can easily justify several other choices before them

QdO Imperiales taste, to me, like a watered down corona hopped up on volado to increase the size. Too mild for me without the nuance I like in my milder cigars.

RyJ Church are both great, and gross. I have a love/hate much like Rob described in his thread about the Boli tubos.

I really miss good Punch Churchill, and the ones that are left are getting too pricy to acquire.

I put Churchills & DCs in the same bucket. Have found most of them to be very good excluding some R&JS & young Esplindidos. Have found most Lusis, Winnies, SLRs, HDMs & Gigantes to be consistently very good.