Good Luck to Eric Newman & J.C. Newman Cigar Co.

I have a soft spot for Tampa and a high regard for what J.C. Newman Cigar Co does and has done.

They are facing some serious challenges as the article below summarises.

http://dailysignal.com/2014/07/06/government-regulation-threatens-119-year-old-family-cigar-business/

i wish Eric Newman and his team every success in keeping the FDA wolves from the door.

That sucks! I've been there several times.

Interesting that the momentum in the USA is to legalize smoking marijuana while criminalizing smoking cigars.

• Like 3

Interesting that the momentum in the USA is to legalize smoking marijuana while criminalizing smoking cigars.

More freedom is good; the government telling people what they can and can't do is bad. It's good that it seems like the government here may be getting out of the prohibition/support for organized crime business. That's good. At the same time, the government is trying to make it impossible for tobacconists and cigar manufacturers to make a living. That's very bad.

• Like 1

I should point out that one of my favourite NC cigars a decade/15byears ago was the Cuesta Rey Maduro Number 7. We haven't seen it in this country for many years but alas I do miss it. I do not know if it is still produced or still the same quality/blend.

It's really funny that, thanks to the F.D.A., you can die for your country at 18 years old but you have to be over 21 years old to smoke a good cigar In certian states today, and there's NO revolution yet ?pod.gif Now they want to stop smoking In parks and outside In Paris .that's

stupid and pathetic !!!!!

Guy

• Like 2

I few years back I took a visit to this tampa factory and it was such a beauty! Enjoyed some cuesta rey cigars along the way. So much history and dedication in the business. I wish them luck and it's very difficult to sit back and see all this happening to companies that help out their communities with jobs also not to mention the cigar family foundation that helps DR

Thanks for posting this Rob. This has been big news in Tampa Bay and it has given me a great opportunity to educate friends who are non cigar smokers about Tampa's amazing cigar history. Florida legislators are uniting to oppose this, even though they disagree about almost everything else.

• Like 1

Now they want to stop smoking In parks and outside In Paris

I'm O.K. with regulating smoking in public. Any person should have the right to a clean breathe of fresh air without me fogging it up with a stogie, or China filling it full of coal soot, etc. The basic premise should be clean air and clean water for all the public; but private venues should still be tolerated, not squeezed to death. A cigar club, smoking rooms, private club patios, etc. should be allowed to operate as they choose.

I'm O.K. with regulating smoking in public. Any person should have the right to a clean breathe of fresh air without me fogging it up with a stogie, or China filling it full of coal soot, etc. The basic premise should be clean air and clean water for all the public; but private venues should still be tolerated, not squeezed to death. A cigar club, smoking rooms, private club patios, etc. should be allowed to operate as they choose.

I think it's totally silly to ban smoking outside. Imagine getting a ticket for smoking a cigar walking down the sidewalk and having to stand there next to an idling diesel truck waiting for the cop to finish writing it. It's insane.

• Like 1

Imagine getting a ticket for smoking a cigar walking down the sidewalk and having to stand there next to an idling diesel truck waiting for the cop to finish writing it. It's insane.

Pretty comical, isn't it? A street with diesel buses and trucks - stuff you most likely will inhale, versus a cigar which you'd most likely simply smell.....