Any cigar smokers ever grow tired of cigars completely?

I was thinking about this last night, and Polarbear's post on another topic made me even more curious. Anyone smoke for years and just get bored with it and quit cigars temporarily? Or maybe go back and forth from nc's to cc's to keep variety?

I find smoking less often keeps me riveted. All the pent up stress of daily minutia, work etc is released all in the span of 45 min to 2 hours once a week. The anticipation makes it all that more enjoyable.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Typically, I only smoke one per week or so, so if anything I tend to look forward to being able to do so. There have been times in the past, during the cold months, where I've gone months without a single cigar. Coming back to them is like meeting up with a great friend you don't get to see very often - pick up right where you left off.

• Like 2

I've had the same experience, waiting through the coldest months of winter and looking forward to the first milder evening to light up. I usually start the year with a cigar that is special to me, one that I know should deliver.

Pipe smoker almost exclusively for years. In the 90's was a two a day cigar smoker. This year I have picked up the pipe only a few times and have been going through cigars fast.

I'm still new enough to cc's that I'm far from growing tired, but if I would have had to stick with nc's I'm not so sure. But I assume there are seasoned cc smokers that have grown tired of them at times.

I'm around 80

Not too bad considering I only just started smoking CC's again after a couple years on the NC train.

Speaking of NC's, if you were curious how many different cigars there are in the Non Cuban market that are regular production, the number would be closer to 30,000

This is the post from Polarbear I referred to above, hope you don't mind me quoting it in this topic, just curious about your nc experience

I find that my palate suffers if I smoke too much per week, especially if I'm on a NC kick, thus causing me to lose some enthusiasm with cigars. Taking a break of a week or two really helps and I can certainly taste things much better. The first cigar after a break usually rekindles the passion. I usually pick something good as well.

Like others here, I do not smoke often in the winter and may go a month or more without a cigar. Come spring, I'm usually eager for a good cigar.

An "on" cc is just hard for me to resist...all the recognizable flavors and the search for that "on" cc seems to keep me recharged! However, nc cigars are a different story for me...the all too similar ashy flavor burns me out very quickly...

This is the post from Polarbear I referred to above, hope you don't mind me quoting it in this topic, just curious about your nc experience

When I was reading that quote out of context I thought the guy is 80 yrs old. I thought that's pretty good for being able to use modern technology.

• Like 1

If I ever do grow tired of cigars please let it be before I am in financial ruin! The deals here are too good to resist! My new humidor is going to be full before it's even arrived!!!

On a serious note though, I don't think I could ever get tired of them. There are a lot of different CC's out there to try and they all have their own unique flavour profiles. Trying a new one for the first time - even if it's not as good as you would have hoped - is always it's own unique experience.

Even if you did get to the point where you had tried every single one - there will be some you find on your journey that are just so good you will relish each and every time you get the opportunity to smoke one!

Since I've taken up the CCs (about 4 years now?) I don't think I've gone more than a week without one. I'm sure I average one cigar a day, but that's because on some days I don't smoke any and on others (like weekends) I may smoke 2-3 a day. I don't think I'm yet at the point when I'm bored with any of my CCs, but I'm a bit like Shlomo in that I don't always smoke a cigar simply because the opportunity presents itself.

Cheers,

~ Greg ~

As usual, it's great to hear various perspectives. As much as I enjoy learning about cigars and the people associated with them, doing research, etc, I don't consider them a hobby per se - at least not in the vein of collecting stamps, building ships in bottles, etc.

I guess cigars can be a lifestyle. A way of life. Something in between. Smoking with friends is great, but generally speaking, it's more personal for me. I smoke cigars because I enjoy it, for flavor - similar to why I drink wine. I don't really think on it too much - it's just something I do.

• Like 2

On the same boat as Colt above. I smoke them when i feel like it!

Sometimes many a week and sometimes not even one for many weeks. Haven't smoked any for over 4 weeks now since I've been back into my running/jogging routines ...

For me, I like to find that balance where I don't overdue things I love so that they don't loose their novelty. Been working well for me when it comes to Cigars, Wine, Rum,running, riding motorcycles...

Never get tired of it or "burnt" out - pun intended! I don't feel like I smoke as much as I actually want to, mostly due to the fact that it's currently 100 billion trillion degrees outside.

• Like 1

When I was reading that quote out of context I thought the guy is 80 yrs old. I thought that's pretty good for being able to use modern technology.

Sorry guys, I'm 28

What I meant was that I gave up smoking CC's after I had a run of woeful construction about 5 years ago.

I got sick of spending what little free cash I had on cigars that were plugged 21 sticks out a box, so I switched to NC's in the hopes of getting a full box of smokeable cigars, for a change.

Around early 2011, I noticed that the quality of CC's had improved by a fair margin from what I had experenced, so I started buying CC's again. I had my first cigar when i was 18 and I've never quit them. I've gone long periods without one, usually due to lack of funds in the early days, but never quit.

There are weeks when I dont feel like a cigar, when normally I smoke one a day. I often wonder if I could one day fall out of love with my cigars and then be stuck with thoughsands of sticks I have no interest in smoking, but then I smoke a really good Monte, or Tatuaje and I stop worrying about it

I just started smoking cigars almost 8 months ago and im about 1-2 week but I will say im trying to cut that back this hobby is an expensive hobby. I enjoy smoking by myself mostly or with my gf a nice glass of rum at night it relaxes me and for that 1-2hrs im at peace then back to same old **** different piles.

I dont mean to thread jack, but seeing as you asked.

I may be in the minority on this site but there are NC's I'm actually quite fond of.

Brands like Tatuaje, Liga Privada, Fuente, Viaje and Illisione that I buy in decent quantiies and smoke semi reguarly.

They are by no means complex cigars, but there are days I do not want a complex cigar.

Sure, the evoultion of a cigar while youre smoking it is one of the wonderful things about them, but there are days when I just want to smoke a cigar that tastes nice. I dont want to have to pay attention to it. I just want to sit down and watch a movie, or read a book while smoking my cigar.

I often describe NC's as the Coke of the Cigar world. You dont drink Coke because you notice the citrus, baking space or cloves in the profile. You drink it cause its refreshing and tastes like Coke.

NC's are the same. If I want a cigar that will intregue and challenge me from beginning to end, I'll reach for a cuban. If i just want to zone out and smoke a nice cigar that tastes like a nice cigar, I reach for an NC.

I dont prefer one more than the other. Of the 1500+ cigar currently in my stash the ratio is prob 60/40 NC to CC. That'll prob get closer to 50/50 and stay there as time goes on though

• Like 1

My mother is 75 and can text, and she's trying to teach my 80 year old father so they can keep up with their 8 kids...and I could've swore Skyfall was about 80 but his profile says 35 :)

My mother is 75 and can text, and she's trying to teach my 80 year old father so they can keep up with their 8 kids...and I could've swore Skyfall was about 80 but his profile says 35 smile.png

Naw, I'm just that grizzled, belligerent and codgity!!!! king.gif

Age doesn't matter when you are immortal! Just a liver exchange every 20 years or so...