computer query

i have a heap of crap anchor that i detest.

today, it went from google chrome (and i tried downloading it again but to no avail) to something called static.flipora and i cannot get back. and it seems to have lost all my bookmarks. needless to say, i am deeply unimpressed. i have a supposed expert but he is the bloke who put me on to the anchor and didn't even respond last emergency. i may have expressed the view that i was surprised anyone would ever recommend said heap of crap.

any thoughts?

• Like 1

You've got yourself a search hijacker there mate. Got to watch those sites you frequent shead.gif

There are a handful of useful utilities available for detecting and eradicating malware, I'll send you a couple of links that may help.

You've got yourself a search hijacker there mate. Got to watch those sites you frequent shead.gif

There are a handful of useful utilities available for detecting and eradicating malware, I'll send you a couple of links that may help.

much appreciated.

sites today? the nfl. weather. qantas (that would be it). foh?

For computer illiterates, I would highly recommend investing the time and effort to set yourself up a virtual PC. I set one up for my parents computer, they always operate within the virtual computer and when they have any problems i just dellete and reload the saved original HDD image. Better than formatting a PC every year or so.

• Like 1

If you've managed to get Chrome working again, go into your Settings (from the three horizontal lines tab at the top right - Settings are four up from the bottom in that menu). At the top left, click Extensions and see if something has installed itself there.

You can either uncheck the box next to each one to disable (if you're unsure whether or not it's really something unwanted), or click the bin icon to delete it. If this doesn't work, the Google 'static.flipora removal' for further steps to follow.

It's likely that you downloaded some software recently and whizzed through the installation without noticing that you unwittingly agreed to install static.flipora. You need to keep a close eye on each bit that has an 'Agree' or 'Decline' option to progress. It's crafty because it makes you think that selecting 'Decline' will stop the installation, but if you check above, what you're really being asked to decide is whether or not you want to install some sort of annoying web search programme, virus removal tool, or other unwanted things that can be a real pain to remove (snap.do is one I picked up a while ago, a bit of a hassle to get rid of).

You had a hijacker Ken. Nothing to do with who sold you the computer.

I suspect you still have a hijacker program on your computer.

Update your virus + malaware programs and run them today.

You had a hijacker Ken. Nothing to do with who sold you the computer.

I suspect you still have a hijacker program on your computer.

Update your virus + malaware programs and run them today.

it is still a crap computer.

habana mike may have saved me. so grateful. but not counting chickens yet.