48 hours in a leather cigar case?

I think there is something else at play here, maybe even in error. In all of my years of smoking cigars, I have never seen a cigar at TRUE 65% feel dry, cracked, or splitting. 65% is still VERY wet as relative humidity goes. Every cigar I have ever pulled out at TRUE 65% is still very moist and spongy and wet. Think about it, 65% RH is still very wet, there is no reason why an accurate and true 65% should be dry, cracking and tasteless.

Same here. I have a lot of sticks at 62rh and they are still nice and supple. I'd agree there seems to be something more going on.

A lot of Casa del Habanos have their humidity at 70-72%. The cigars are very delicous for my taste. I would never want to drybox them.

Yes they have. And I thought the same. Then I tried and never going back to the muted side of habana ever.

Everybody on his own. Supersimple.

Yeah I keep my cigars at 65F and 64%rh in storage, but I've found, like many have, over the years that they smoke and taste much better if some of the moisture is extracted before combustion. I'm not saying long enough to extract oils, but merely moisture. Nothing effects the taste of a cigar more for me than improper humidification at the time of smoking. Cigars are very resilient and most people are too cautious and worried about minuscule variations and metrics. I'm that way to a point, but it's really not necessary. It takes a long time of harsh conditions to strip away the oils.

I would venture to say that most long time smokers (given the time and thought to plan ahead) prefer to be bale to dry box for a couple of days. I know Rob (El Pres) and others including myself will just throw a stick in the freezer for a bit before smoking to try and expedite the drying out process. I so this all the time when I don't plan ahead. I prefer to dry box in an empty, humidified desktop humidor. It ranges from 30% - 40% humidity, and I like to do it for at least 2 days if not more. I can deduce that the RH of the cigar is brought down to the low 50's, which smokes perfect for me!. Many draw, combustion and muted taste problems are most always due to over humidification at the time of smoking and not necessarily construction. Some cringe in that....but when you really think about it, 50% is still pretty damn wet. I mean if I had a bath towel and got 50% of it wet, that's a pretty damn wet towel right? Again, I think most of us, including myself, worry too much and focus too much on the minuscule details about cigars, and it's just not necessary. Going from an environment of 65% to 35% isn't going to damage the cigar. Hell, I've taken cigars from 65F and 64% and put them unprotected in a freezer close to 0F and 0%RH for hours, and it's just fine, and taste damn good.

Keep it simple and smoke what you like and how you like it. For me,(and I know many others) that is much drier than how I store them, so that's what I do. I'm getting the point that I just refuse to smoke one straight out of my humidor anymore unless I at least give it a nap in the freezer!.

Hope this helped.

P.S. When I go out of town for longer than 10 days is the only time I add humidification to my travel case, and what I do then is take a metal cigar tube, punch a bunch a holes in it, fill it with humidity beads, put the smallest amount of water in the beads, and put the cap on and place it in one of the slots in the case.

Thats some realy good points for me as a newbie

Stefan

Skickas från min iPhone via Tapatalk

Yes they have. And I thought the same. Then I tried and never going back to the muted side of habana ever.

Everybody on his own. Supersimple.

I tried as well. As I said for my taste Habanos loose a lot of the creamy, full and sucucculent smoothness if you smoke them at 65% or below. I am quite sure my preference is based on my taste and not on a broken hygrometer. Although smoking drier Habanos is very popular here at this forum, I am for sure not the only passionate Habanos smoker who likes his cigars at 70-72%.

However the ambience could make a difference as well. Are you smoking outdoors in a hot and humid climate or inside, in a heated coffeeshop, bar or lounge for example.

• Like 1

Yeah no worries mate at all. Like I said everybody to his own. We supposed to enjoy our cigars. How we do it doesn't matter.

It is about you and your taste. We should simple stick to the one we like. Nothing else matters :)

All in all it just reflects that we aren't all the same.

• Like 2

Although smoking drier Habanos is very popular here at this forum, I am for sure not the only passionate Habanos smoker who likes his cigars at 70-72%.

Tendencies come and go. Two years ago the craze was about watering cigars:

http://www.friendsofhabanos.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=105274&hl=wetting

http://www.friendsofhabanos.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=111140&hl=wetting

http://www.friendsofhabanos.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=99386&hl=wetting

It's not a black and white picture. I often "dry box" certain cigars, and I often wet my JL Piedra under the tap…