free agency - updated. how did your team do?

now that much of free agency has been and gone, how did your team do? happy? missed chances? stronger/weaker?

from my perspective, i would have given the skins a below average mark until jackson. that could be a game changer. of course, we will have to score a gazillion points because we have done nothing with the back field defence.

i thought that roberts looked positive as an extra WR. the few additions along the line looked a bit like shifting the deckchairs on the titanic until they signed hatcher. big contract but given the way he tore us apart last year, nice to have him on our side. and extra sweet that we have taken him from the cowgirls.

the reports on porter seem to think that no one would have signed him, bar us. i think we might be looking hard at the draft for CBs and safeties.

but now adding jackson, and again taking him from a divisional rival, at least makes the offence seriously exciting - if the line can stop anyone.

on the jackson signing, i think the eagles completely stuffed it. not just letting a top player go - i can understand if they feel they had players in place to take over and that he did not get on with the coach (in DC, when that happens, we just get rid of the coach) - but the way they did it. had they put him up for trade right at the start, they may have got what they wanted but teams that might have made the trade had already filled spots and spent money. it meant they had to cut him for zip, if they wanted him out. great for us as again, if done at the start, plenty of teams with far more salary cap than the skins could have chased him.

HTTR.

Eagles fan here. I was pleased with the way the Eagles handled free agency. First thing they did was went and locked up their own players (Peters and Kelce) to contracts, which is key. Then they went and got some decent guys. I think Darren Sproles could be really exciting in the Eagles offense, I just hope he's still got enough gas in the tank.

I was shocked that they cut Jackson, but nobody on the team seems to really care all that much. With how valuable chemistry is to an offense, I could see Jackson being a distraction in the Eagles locker room. Also, the Eagles will get Jeremy Maclin back from injury, which is valuable.

Bucs did well

Spent a poultice, got rid of Revis some holes yet to fill.

Overall, building tough tough team. Watkins at 7 in the draft or Manziel. Really doesn't matter. Building, building.

Bucs did well

Spent a poultice, got rid of Revis some holes yet to fill.

Overall, building tough tough team. Watkins at 7 in the draft or Manziel. Really doesn't matter. Building, building.

revis was expensive but a hell of a player.

we may have stuffed watkins for you. if the raiders had got jackson instead of us, you'd have been a real chance. but now they have to go to the draft for a top WR so good chance he'll go before you get a chance.

manziel i have no idea. seems he'll go 1st or 300th depending on who you listen to. if bortles and bridgewater go early, you should be a real chance. if they don't, you should get one of them and that might be a better thing.

If Jackson actually gets signed and is not allowed to become a locker room distraction it could really open up the long ball game.

Not a real big fan of the smaller receivers as they tend to disappear in the red zone. So I guess the jury is out for me on this until I see how it all comes together. The offensive line needs to improve in order to allow the time needed to get down field.

If Jackson actually gets signed and is not allowed to become a locker room distraction it could really open up the long ball game.

Not a real big fan of the smaller receivers as they tend to disappear in the red zone. So I guess the jury is out for me on this until I see how it all comes together. The offensive line needs to improve in order to allow the time needed to get down field.

everyone would look like complete pillocks if this fell apart now. and assuming it does proceed, it does have the potential to go to custard but assuming he is keen to prove himself, rg3 has a smorgasbord for offence. the lines and the backfield defence still of great concern.

a huge plus is someone who can run faster than me for returns and kickoffs.

everyone would look like complete pillocks if this fell apart now. and assuming it does proceed, it does have the potential to go to custard but assuming he is keen to prove himself, rg3 has a smorgasbord for offence. the lines and the backfield defence still of great concern.

a huge plus is someone who can run faster than me for returns and kickoffs.

Done!

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24510758/report-redskins-desean-jackson-agree-to-terms-on-multi-year-deal

Denver

DATE TRANSACTION April 1, 2014 Signed CB Chris Harris Jr. to a one-year contract.
MARCH DATE TRANSACTION March 28, 2014 Signed OT Winston Justice to a one-year contract. March 18, 2014 Agreed to terms with WR Emmanuel Sanders on a three-year contract. March 12, 2014 Agreed to terms with DE DeMarcus Ware on a three-year contract. March 12, 2014 Agreed to terms with WR Andre Caldwell on a two-year contract and S T.J. Ward. March 10, 2014 Announced the retirement of OL Chris Kuper. March 6, 2014 Released CB Champ Bailey.
FEBRUARY DATE TRANSACTION February 12, 2014 Signed executive vice president John Elway to a three-year contract extension and added general manager to his title. February 6, 2014 Signed S John Boyett, T Paul Cormick, DEs Hall Davis, John Youboty and Ben Garland and WRs Nathan Palmer, Gerell Robinson and Greg Wilson.

45511422.jpg

I think it was a win-win for the Eagles and Skins with Desean Jackson. In the short term, the Skins get an electric player and if RG3 plays up to his rookie year standards, they can be a tough team to beat. But the Eagles wanted to cut ties on a head-case just asking for trouble, be it team chemistry or actual legal problems. Just off memory, it seems last year was the only year that Desean Jackson wasn't in the news complaining and coincidentally it was his best year. Sure enough, the year was over and word was out that he wanted more money. Rumors came out about his gang ties etc, etc. It just wasn't worth it to the Eagles anymore plus he was making a lot of money.

And Denver, wow... they went all-in this year. Elways knows Manning doesn't have much time left and he wants a Super Bowl now. They made some good defensive pickups, but I'm surprised they let Knowshon Moreno walk away.

pats fan and they are obviously going for it this year. revis and browner should be great on the outside and a much better combo than we have had in awhile. still have some work to do but look solid again. really like rg III, really dislike the ownership and doubt they will get it right ever. broncos are acting like the Yankees and buying everything in sight. that usually doesn't work out but good luck to them. really like lovie and hope he does well after the disaster of the last regime

Jackson not even on the team for more than a few hours and he's already publicly talking about prying away the #10 jersey from RG3. Me, me, me, me... it's all about me is the Desean Jackson mantra.

http://www.csnwashington.com/football-washington-redskins/talk/will-rg3-give-his-no-10-jersey-desean-jackson

MeSean Jackson!

are you guys even vaguely serious? i can only presume this is based on an antipathy from the past (or possibly bitter eagles fans?). did you watch that video? he could not have been more respectful and humble throughout it. maybe that will change but surely benefit of the doubt for now?

self-interested sportsman? imagine that.

the interviewer gave him plenty of opportunities to dump on his past team and the circumstances and he was having none of it.

when asked about the number, he laughed and pointed out it was probably impossible and that there were too many out there and he and rg3 would have a chat down the track. what the hell was he supposed to say?

the money? presumably he tried to get as much as he could. he'd be a gibbering moron not to.

there was obviously some issue at his last team but whether that will follow remains to be seen. i'd also suggest that it may not be one-sided. he has had past coaches talk glowingly. all football teams will have issues but it is not just up to the player to resolve this (skins hardly exempt - rg3 and shanahan). the eagles had one of the most exciting WRs in the comp and yet they chose to keep the lesser talent WR who was appallingly racist. can't imagine that will go down well with all. perhaps kelly should have done more. perhaps we'll never know.

but those comments based on that interview seem completely out of kilter.

i can only presume this is based on an antipathy from the past (or possibly bitter eagles fans?).

did you watch that video? he could not have been more respectful and humble throughout it. maybe that will change but surely benefit of the doubt for now? self-interested sportsman? imagine that.

when asked about the number, he laughed and pointed out it was probably impossible and that there were too many out there and he and rg3 would have a chat down the track. what the hell was he supposed to say?

Like I said above, I think it's a win-win. The Skins are getting an electric player trying to prove his old team did him wrong. If you get good QB play, you will have a good team.

But I definitely stand by everything else I said. I'm not an Eagles fan, Skins fan or any team close to the NFC East... just a NFL fan that has seen Jackson come in day 1 being a cocky, me-first kind of guy. He was complaining about money when he signed a big contract 3 years ago. This upcoming season would've been just his 3rd year in the new contract that would've paid him $10.5 million and he was still complaining saying he's worth more and would like to redo his deal. I don't blame guys in the NFL trying to get paid, but he consistently is complaining and making it a distraction off the field.

He just got cut and this is the first day with his new team... of course he will sound a bit more respectful and non-confrontational.

And about his jersey number, what is he supposed to say? How about something like "sure I wouldn't mind having my #10 back, but it's RG3's number and his team, I'm just coming here to help us win some games." RG3 wore #10 in college and with the Skins... sure it's normal for the new guy coming in to joke around and want his old number, but we're talking the leader of the team in RG3, not some scrub kicker. Keep those conversations private and not talk about it to a bunch of reporters on a conference call saying we're talking about it and once the season starts we'll see what number I have. To me, that's just the way the guy is, it's always about him.

Like I said above, I think it's a win-win. The Skins are getting an electric player trying to prove his old team did him wrong. If you get good QB play, you will have a good team.

But I definitely stand by everything else I said. I'm not an Eagles fan, Skins fan or any team close to the NFC East... just a NFL fan that has seen Jackson come in day 1 being a cocky, me-first kind of guy. He was complaining about money when he signed a big contract 3 years ago. This upcoming season would've been just his 3rd year in the new contract that would've paid him $10.5 million and he was still complaining saying he's worth more and would like to redo his deal. I don't blame guys in the NFL trying to get paid, but he consistently is complaining and making it a distraction off the field.

He just got cut and this is the first day with his new team... of course he will sound a bit more respectful and non-confrontational.

And about his jersey number, what is he supposed to say? How about something like "sure I wouldn't mind having my #10 back, but it's RG3's number and his team, I'm just coming here to help us win some games." RG3 wore #10 in college and with the Skins... sure it's normal for the new guy coming in to joke around and want his old number, but we're talking the leader of the team in RG3, not some scrub kicker. Keep those conversations private and not talk about it to a bunch of reporters on a conference call saying we're talking about it and once the season starts we'll see what number I have. To me, that's just the way the guy is, it's always about him.

i guess my issue was re the jersey number and i got a bit carried away but i still think that what he actually said re the jersey was pretty much what you suggest, in a slightly different way. i think he would have been very happy to keep it private but the interviewer raised it - to me, he made a bit of a joke about it and then moved on as fast as he could.

as for money, i guess if he really performs, he'll have a case down the track. but agreed, that if he was to start any of that now he'd be opening himself up to some serious criticism.

Contracts are all about guaranteed $$. His Eagles contract was 5yr/50m but 20m was guaranteed. Now he's got 2 more years of guaranteed money. We all know the shelf life for these guys isn't long. There's people who think he could be prepping to decline in this his 7th year in the league. I think the Redskins will get a good 2 years out of him no problem, but don't be surprised if his performance declines in year 3. I could be way off though. He could have 5 good years left, but when you're that small and you start to lose your blistering speed, you become mediocre really fast.