H Upmann Mag 46

Hi FOH,

I'm still pretty new here and I'm loving all the info on this site. Anyways, I've tried to search and little and cannot find (on tapatalk at least) exactly what I'm looking for.

I'm trying to figure out where the Mag 46 stands in the entire Upmann line. What I mean is, how does the 46's flavor profile compare to the line as a whole.

If there is already a thread about this, I apologize.

Thanks guys,

Paul

Mag 46 is the staple for me and while Ive only smoked the #2, Sir Winnie and 46 from the Upmann line I think the 46 has a bit more oomph or as Prez would say Mongrel to em that the Winnie a more classy, creamy smoke or the #2 more leather, toasted tobacco filled cigar doesn't have. Others that have more experience in this marca can provide more info but in a nutshell with the 46 u get upmann with more strength shall we say, its more med-full where as the other two to me are more in the med range and the Winnie is in a class of its own with the complexity it delivers which is to be expected in a chruchill. Hope this helps a little anyway. Just buy em you'll love em and the size is my favorite in any marca.

Mag 46 is one of my favorites of the marca. It does have mongrel, but also a flavor bomb and a great after dinner cigar. Pair it with a nice single malt scotch and you are in heaven for an hour and a half.

Bought a few boxes of the 46 4 or 5 years back and did not like them. Were way to wild and harsh and did not understand the hype. Pitched the ones I had tried. Fast forward to a month ago. Was going to sell all my boxes of 46's and decided to try one before I did. Glad I did as thery were full of flavor and had smoothed out beautifully. Strong cigar with a nice kick. Needless to say I will not be selling these babies.

As stated the Sir Winne is a classy refined flavor bomb. One of my favorite cigars. The #2 are creamy and for me have been rock solid as far as consistency. Had not had much luck with the mag 50 till recently. Got a PSP 10 box and the first cigar knocked my socks off. What a beast loved it. Loving the PC also picked up a box a few months back and they have been smooth and creamy. Recently have gotten into the HC what a great little cigar that is. Woody with leather and classic Upmann flavor.

My go to is the Connie 1. Never had one I did not love. The mags seem much stronger then the rest of the line but a nice change of pace.

The Royal robustos have been amazing and hoping with sometime on them they will be classics.

Big fan of the Mag 46 here, love Upmann's in general, only one I haven't tried yet is the Connie 1 (will fix that tonight). As it has been said before, I find they have a bit more mongrel, especially compared to it's big brother the 50 and that is how I like them. For me they are different than other Upmanns but share the marca's DNA. All in all a great cigar that never let's me down when I am looking for that profile, not my favorite Upmann but still a go-to cigar.

This is some great info guys, and exactly what I'm looking for! I have a Connie 1 in the big humi that will get smoked sometime warmer. Sounds like I need to add the rest of the Upmann line to the buy list. I love 46s for the record. Now I can't wait to try the rest of the line!

I do think the profile is pretty different however, I don't find the strength too much at all. The first third is where that pepper is and then it fades away pretty quickly and you're left with this wonderful sweetness.

IMHO, I do not think these age as well as the Connie1s. I've had mag46s from 05 (probably the same as everyone else) and from 08 and while that pepper up front has faded away, so has the sweetness and you're left with a very light, very nuanced (probably too nuanced for my palate anyway) smoke. I love the mag46 but I love them in that 1-3 years range.

I am delighted to read the comments that the Mag 46 has strength behind it. I smoked my first from a UPE Mar 13 box and it kicked my posterior. I recommend dining first. Lovely smoke!

Hey guys, smoked my first Mag 46 yesterday (courtesy of the *****AS 8 Corona sampler).

Fantastic cigar. I've been smoking mainly petite coronas lately, so loved how much more smoke this cigar was giving off (also lowered my RH from 70 to 65%, so that may have been a factor as well). I was very impressed with the cigar overall and am contemplating a box of these bad boys.

One thing is holding me back: Around the half way point, the cigar got quite harsh on my throat. I am a beginner and infrequent smoker. This harshness I get after a while is not unique to the Mag 46, I have the issue with many cigars and is most likely due to a low tolerance. Normally I force myself to smoke through. This time I just lay it down at the halfway mark. It was much more enjoyable.

I'm wondering if there is anything with similar flavours in a smaller size? It seems like a waste to only smoke 40-50%. Should I just put my cigars down when they get harsh on me, and eventually build up more tolerance? Or perhaps look into shorter length cigars e.g. Partagas Shorts?

The Mag 46 is my go to smoke of this Marca. Never met one I didnt like! Just picked up a box of Connie 1's and have been told I will soon have a new favorite. Time will tell. In the meantime the 46 will stay my best buddy. :)

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I'm wondering if there is anything with similar flavours in a smaller size?

Not really – the Upmann corona major A/T, maybe, but as Rob often says the Mag46 is the mongrel of the Upmann family.

I find it much more nervous and tense than, say, the Connoisseur No.1, which I prefer.