Humidor Question

Ok.. so I've outgrown the 100ct humi that I store my CC's in. But I have a 200ct humi that I've used to stock my NC's in that is getting emptier by the day. (thanks to a sampler sale I posted on another site). So what I was thinking is transfer the CC's over to the larger humi and put the NC's in the 100ct.

My question is: Is this a good idea? Would you recommend this? Will I run the risk of my CC's tasting like NC's in some way?

It's probably a dumb question but I just don't want to risk any cross-contamination, if you know what I mean.

Thanks!

Unless you mix with infused flavoured cigars, or some of the fire cured cigars like Toscanos or 'kentucky fire cured' etc you should be completely fine.

As far as putting the CC into the humi where you had your NC, it should be totally fine unless you stored infused/flavoured NCs

If you did place some cheap plain natural tobacco (pipe tobacco could be good) in there and it will absorb any smells after about two weeks of it being shut in.

If you did place some cheap plain natural tobacco (pipe tobacco could be good) in there and it will absorb any smells after about two weeks of it being shut in.

I have never heard of this before! Does it truly absorb odors? I'm sure it imparts its own as well. It seems like a very interesting solution for those with wineadors who did not go to the trouble to line the inside with cedar wood. Cheers for that idea!

I have never heard of this before! Does it truly absorb odors? I'm sure it imparts its own as well.

Sorry Cap but that is a really bad idea!

Of course it would impart its own odor, ALL pipe tobacco, even the cleanest artisanal Semois from Belgium, has a deep odor, be it "natural" or not.

I have never heard of this before! Does it truly absorb odors? I'm sure it imparts its own as well. It seems like a very interesting solution for those with wineadors who did not go to the trouble to line the inside with cedar wood. Cheers for that idea!

When I moved into my new place, there were some cupboards in the kitchen where the previous owner had kept his curry spices, I chucked in probably a cereal-bowl full of pipe tobacco and the smell was gone in a couple of weeks!

I think Ryan pointed out a few weeks ago that in Cuba some people take home the stems from de-stemmed tobacco leaves and use them to get rid of odours too

Sorry Cap but that is a really bad idea!

Of course it would impart its own odor, ALL pipe tobacco, even the cleanest artisanal Semois from Belgium, has a deep odor, be it "natural" or not.

Yeah, I agree , I would not use pipe tobacco! I had an old small desktop humi that I used to store my pipe tobacco in, I opened it up the other day, and it still smells like the pipe tobacco, and it's been empty for 6 years.

I would place a small dish full of baking soda in it for a few days if you are worried.

Ok...good info. so what's the answer to my question?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I would imagine the smell will stay for a very long time and nearly impossible to remove. Let it air out for a day or two then seal in a small container of ground coffee for another day or two. That might help to remove the overpowering smell of toxic NC.

Yeah I used the pipe tobacco to remove the curry smell :D the cabinet not being airtight likely helped remove the tobacco smell after I took the packets out (I left them in sealed zippo bags btw). No curry or tobacco smell now!

For a humi that hasn't been used to keep curry, personally if I didn't like the smell (plastic or whatever) I'd grab a bundle of uber cheap natural or connecticut shade cigars and leave them in there. On Cbid you will probably grab a bundle of 25 for $15 bucks

• Like 1

The answer to your question is: no problem. There is no "Cross contamination" between quality cigars on a short term. The few NC I buy, I just put them them in one of my humidors…

Agree with this. Should be no problem.

Thanks guys! I was just more concerned about some of the Pepin Garcia pepper bombs or maduros I have in there mixing with my tasty CC'S.. But it sounds like I have nothing to worry about. Whew!

Thanks guys! I was just more concerned about some of the Pepin Garcia pepper bombs or maduros I have in there mixing with my tasty CC'S.. But it sounds like I have nothing to worry about. Whew!

Yeah I used the pipe tobacco to remove the curry smell biggrin.png the cabinet not being airtight likely helped remove the tobacco smell after I took the packets out (I left them in sealed zippo bags btw). No curry or tobacco smell now!

For a humi that hasn't been used to keep curry, personally if I didn't like the smell (plastic or whatever) I'd grab a bundle of uber cheap natural or connecticut shade cigars and leave them in there. On Cbid you will probably grab a bundle of 25 for $15 bucks

I have some loose tobacco leaves from my forays into rolling my own cigars. Whenever I get a new humi that I don't like the smell of, I throw some scraps in there and let it sit for a while.

I've also wondered this. I'm in the process of building my CC stash, and am planing on utilizing my wineador for about 50/50 NC/CC. Seperate drawers and shelves of course. At this point I probably won't really age, rather rest for up to two years, so I'm not too worried. Unless I should be?