Do you ever smoke a NC to "refresh your palate"?

Do any regular CC smokers occasionally smoke a NC to refresh your palate? I smoke CCs 98% of the time. They routinely provide a superior smoking experience to NCs. However, I find, that every once in a while I like to have a good NC, like a Fuente SG Rosado R-52 or Flor de Las Antiles Toro. They refresh my palate with the dryer character of their non Cuban tobaccos.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I sure do. Sometimes the thought of a NC just feels right. When that occurs, it usually is

I always wonder: What about a blend of Cuban and NC tobacco in a single cigar? After much trial and error - perhaps Nirvana? Maybe we will find out someday

I sure do. Sometimes the thought of a NC just feels right. When that occurs, it usually is

I always wonder: What about a blend of Cuban and NC tobacco in a single cigar? After much trial and error - perhaps Nirvana? Maybe we will find out someday

I remeber a while back that Pepin Garcia (of My Father Cigars) thought up a 'clear havana' blend using Nicaraguan and Cuban filler, Cuban binder and Nicaraguan wrapper

It'd be interesting to see what the rest of the world could do with cuban tobbacco should they ever get the opportunity

I actually reach for a NC from time to time myself.. Have a box of OpusX Super Belicoso.. The only NC box in my collection thus far. I had as few down in Florida when I was visiting and they were very good. As I'm not a huge advocate of Opus, as they're overpriced and overrated IMO, these seem to hit the spot in some instances.

I find the flavours of NC to be quite bold and 'in your face' in most common brands, Whereas CC flavours are more subtle and require my full attention to enjoy it's many nuances. Therefore, I find myself clamping down on a NC while I'm doing something (such as driving or landscaping) so I can enjoy the blast of flavours without trying too hard. If I'm sitting down with a drink then I go for a CC and devote myself to exploring the full gamut of what it has to offer.

I'm nowhere near as experienced as most of the BOTL on this forum, so these are purely my own ignorant opinions.

I keep a box of Padron 2000's on hand and dip into it once in a while. I do enjoy them quite a bit. Perfect for mowing the lawn etc. I have a friend who always orders what ever bundle of 20 gigantour cigars certain US companies have on sale for $50.00 or whatever. He always makes me smoke one whenever I am at his house. While not generally putrid, they do usually send me running to my humidor when I get home.

I bought him a box of RASS for his 50th birthday...it wasn't a self serving gift at all.... innocent.gif

I find myself smokkng less and less NC but some are always very enjoyable. While Casa Fuente are by far my favorite I always enjoy Sharks, some but not all FFOX, Liga 9, UF, FFP) ans Illusione are also classics.

I find the flavours of NC to be quite bold and 'in your face' in most common brands, Whereas CC flavours are more subtle and require my full attention to enjoy it's many nuances. Therefore, I find myself clamping down on a NC while I'm doing something (such as driving or landscaping) so I can enjoy the blast of flavours without trying too hard. If I'm sitting down with a drink then I go for a CC and devote myself to exploring the full gamut of what it has to offer.

I'm nowhere near as experienced as most of the BOTL on this forum, so these are purely my own ignorant opinions.

I wouldn't deem them ignorant, as I tend to generally agree with what you saying..

Well I can't say I smoke an NC to "refresh my palate" but I do occasionally smoke them.

I think I could count the NC's I smoked last year on my fingers still.

I should have explained what I meant by "refresh my palate". CCs are a rich, complex smoke. I find after a while I like/need a less rich, perhaps drier smoke (NC) to refresh my palate. This helps me better appreciate and enjoy the next CCs.

Nope, they are palate rapers to me. Each time I end up in the awful position where the only cigar around is an NC, and I actually partake instead of pass, (once about every 2 years) I toss it halfway in and my palate tastes like I smoked cat hair wrapped up in a roof shingle for several days. Last time was with a Padron Anniv. that was gifted at a lounge after I had run out of good cigars.

I smoke a handful of NC throughout the year. I give a few away to some coworkers then I always seem to get a few more for Christmas gifts and the cycle starts all over again.

I have about 20-30 high end NC sticks that all cost close to $15 USD or more. Opus, Anejo sharks, God of Fire. I haven't touched them in close to 2 years. There is simply no desire to smoke a cigar other than a cuban. And I'm not a cigar snob, I have a RG perla currently in my hand. I'll take a C&C CC over any NC every time.

I smoke mostly NC right now but it's hard to tell if that will change in the future. The best cigars I have ever had were Cubans and I am just now jumping in the boat and trying it out for myself. The biggest problem for me will be aging. I am kinda impatient.

I smoke NCs as a "change of pace" smoke, mostly the ones from my humidor from my early days of cigar smoking. There are good NCs out there, it's just hard to find the "gems" without paying the same price as a good CC.

I used to smoke 70/30 CC's to NC's but this year I am going all CC's too see the difference between smoking "mostly" CC's and all CC's. Totally agree with the previous statement that they are "palate rapers" They are upfront without a lot of back-end finesse, where as a CC is more subtile IMO