FORMULA 1 - 2014

Button: F1 as good as it ever was

Jenson-Button-250_3115760.jpg

McLaren may have failed to finish in Bahrain but Jenson Button is adamant the team took a "step forward" in terms of pace.
Button celebrated his 250th grand prix at the Sakhir circuit, however, it proved to be a point-less night.
Although the McLaren driver had hoped for points, and maybe even a shot at the podium, he instead parked his MP4-29 on the penultimate lap.
It was a disappointing end for Button, who had been running well inside the top ten when his car faltered.
"In terms of pace, we took a step forward this weekend," he said. "Moreover, our degradation was positive and I think we did a very good job understanding our tyres.
"Only one team were demonstrably quicker than us today - Mercedes - but sadly they were a lot quicker than us. Having said that, our long-run pace was very good, especially over the last few laps, so I reckon we could have raced very hard to the finish on the Primes. But unfortunately I didn't get that opportunity.
"It's tough for all the team, because they all worked really well and really hard. We were set for fifth place at worst and a podium finish at best, and that would have been a very positive outcome for all of us."
There was also a big positive for Formula One as a whole as the Bahrain GP saw plently of overtaking, some tense fighting and proved to be a closely fought competition behind the runaway Mercedes drivers.
"In summary, then, there was lots of good racing out there," Button added.
"I can't even remember how many cars I overtook but it was quite a lot - and I think it was the same for almost everyone out there. I really enjoyed it, in fact.
"Formula 1 may have new power units and technical regs this year, but it's clearly every bit as good as it ever was in terms of on-track spectacle."

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, the news for Formula 1 is pretty much at a trickle, mostly all repetition. I think I'll end the 2014 season and thread here, thank you all for reading and contributing throughout the year. Ha

Keep up the good work, your F1 thread on the forum is my go-to for news these days. As a fan who has attended Monaco 6 or 7 times in various capacities I can't get enough of whats going on - it almos

What an absolute tool. That is all

JEV blames 'crazy Lotus guy'

Jean-Eric-Vergne_3116186.jpg

Jean-Eric Vergne has blamed a "crazy Lotus guy" for his Bahrain GP exit after a collision left him with a damaged STR9.
Fighting for track position at the start, Vergne was soon seen touring the track with a punctured rear tyre.
The Frenchman was not happy with the situation and told his Toro Rosso team: "crazy Lotus guy. I don't know who it was. Absolutely mental."
He pitted for fresh rubber and returned to the action only to retire laps later as his STR had sustained too much damage.
"It was a bit of a mess at the start in Turn 8 with a lot of cars around me, but while the others were having a poor exit I had a clean one on the outside," he explained.
"When I then found myself next to a Lotus, I got squeezed more and more and when he realized I was about to overtake him anyway, he just closed the door.
"That is why our wheels touched and my car took off, out of control.
"Both rear wing and floor got heavily damaged with a huge loss of aero performance and it was just not possible to continue my race.
"Hopefully bad luck will leave us alone for the next races."

Gutierrez 'ok' after crash

bahrain-formula-1-grand-prix-sakhir-mana

Sauber driver Esteban Gutierrez is "fine" after undergoing tests at a Bahrain hospital as a "precautionary" measure.
Gutierrez was sent tumbling out of Sunday night's Bahrain Grand Prix when his C33 was hoisted into the air by Pastor Maldonado.
Exiting the pits, Maldonado reached the first corner at the same time as Gutierrez where the Lotus driver crashed into him.
The impact flipped Gutierrez's Sauber C33, which thankfully rolled into an upright position.
Gutierrez climbed unaided from his car with his team announcing that he had gone to the hospital but as a precaution.
"According to first checks in the medical center, Esteban is ok," the team tweeted. "Precautionary examinations will follow in the local hospital."
Gutierrez later confirmed that he had been released and was "fine."
He said: "First of all, the most important is that I am ok. They did all the checks at the hospital and everything is fine."

Maldonado says Gutierrez left him “nowhere to go”

saub-guti-bahr-2014-41-470x313.jpg

Pastor Maldonado says Esteban Gutierrez could have done more to prevent the contact between the pair during the Bahrain Grand Prix.
The Lotus and Sauber drivers collided at turn one on lap 41 of the race as Maldonado emerged from the pits. Gutierrez’s car rolled over in the impact but Maldonado was able to finish the race.
The stewards held Maldonado responsible for the collision and handed him a penalty during the race, and penalty for the next race, and endorsement points on his licence.
However Maldonado said after the race he was not entirely to blame for the crash.
“We will need to have a look again at what happened as Esteban seemed to be off his line coming into turn one – maybe he missed his braking point, I don’t know – and by then I was in the corner with nowhere to go.
“For sure it’s difficult to understand and I was coming out from the pits and with cold tyres. I think he was very unlucky and it’s good he jumped straight out of the car.”
Gutierrez has been released from hospital having been taken there for further checks following his admission to the circuit’s medical centre.
“I was completely surprised that Pastor, who came out of the pits, ran into me,” he said.
“I was clearly in front of him. I turned into the corner and I was suddenly hit and I rolled over. There was nothing much I could do.”

Epic race this morning... one of the more enjoyable ones to watch. On TV the 'power unit' noise wasn't a factor as it is at the track..

Was it just me or was there an incredible amount of locked wheels this time round?

On of the better races I can remember for a long time. If they stay this exciting people will worry less about the engine sound difference.

Maldonado says Gutierrez left him “nowhere to go”

saub-guti-bahr-2014-41-470x313.jpg

Pastor Maldonado says Esteban Gutierrez could have done more to prevent the contact between the pair during the Bahrain Grand Prix.

The Lotus and Sauber drivers collided at turn one on lap 41 of the race as Maldonado emerged from the pits. Gutierrez’s car rolled over in the impact but Maldonado was able to finish the race.

The stewards held Maldonado responsible for the collision and handed him a penalty during the race, and penalty for the next race, and endorsement points on his licence.

However Maldonado said after the race he was not entirely to blame for the crash.

“We will need to have a look again at what happened as Esteban seemed to be off his line coming into turn one – maybe he missed his braking point, I don’t know – and by then I was in the corner with nowhere to go.

“For sure it’s difficult to understand and I was coming out from the pits and with cold tyres. I think he was very unlucky and it’s good he jumped straight out of the car.”

Gutierrez has been released from hospital having been taken there for further checks following his admission to the circuit’s medical centre.

“I was completely surprised that Pastor, who came out of the pits, ran into me,” he said.

“I was clearly in front of him. I turned into the corner and I was suddenly hit and I rolled over. There was nothing much I could do.”

ONLY ONE THING TO SAY ABOUT THAT "RUBBISH"

Gutierrez 'ok' after crash

bahrain-formula-1-grand-prix-sakhir-mana

Sauber driver Esteban Gutierrez is "fine" after undergoing tests at a Bahrain hospital as a "precautionary" measure.

Gutierrez was sent tumbling out of Sunday night's Bahrain Grand Prix when his C33 was hoisted into the air by Pastor Maldonado.

Exiting the pits, Maldonado reached the first corner at the same time as Gutierrez where the Lotus driver crashed into him.

The impact flipped Gutierrez's Sauber C33, which thankfully rolled into an upright position.

Gutierrez climbed unaided from his car with his team announcing that he had gone to the hospital but as a precaution.

"According to first checks in the medical center, Esteban is ok," the team tweeted. "Precautionary examinations will follow in the local hospital."

Gutierrez later confirmed that he had been released and was "fine."

He said: "First of all, the most important is that I am ok. They did all the checks at the hospital and everything is fine."

Is it just me or are the new nose designs which are lowered to improve safety on frontal impact now just turn into high tech egg flips ,just putting it out there ,as it seemed to scoop under car and flipped it

Maldonado penalised for bizarre incident which flipped Gutierrez

ddr1406ap083-640x427.jpg

Lotus’s Pastor Maldonado has been handed a five-place grid penalty for the next round in China and given three penalty points on his Super Licence for causing the crash which sent Esteban Gutierrez rolling out of Sunday’s 2014 Formula 1 Gulf Air Bahrain Grand Prix.

Maldonado ran into the side of the Sauber at Turn 1 on lap 41 of the 57-lap race, moments after rejoining the track from the pit lane. The contact resulted in the Mexican’s car being tipped into a spectacular roll.

Gutierrez was able to climb from his cockpit, while Maldonado continued with damage, but a lengthy safety car was needed to recover the stricken Sauber and clear the debris.

ddr1406ap081-640x427.jpg

Stewards quickly decided Maldonado had been responsible for the collision, handing the Venezuelan an immediate 10-second stop-go penalty, as well as the aforementioned grid drop and penalty points.

Marussia’s Jules Bianchi was also deemed to have caused a collision during the race following an early clash with Gutierrez’s Sauber team mate Adrian Sutil, which led to the German retiring with damage.

Bianchi was given two penalty points, in addition to the drive-through penalty he served during the race. The Frenchman now has four penalty points on his Super Licence – 12 points lead to an automatic one-race ban.

http://youtu.be/luNdRPwioTg

It seems to me that the stewards are inconsistent this year a five grid penalty for this and Danny R gets ten WTF

Bahrain Grand Prix: Hamilton beats Rosberg in a night time thriller

Lewis+Hamilton+F1+Grand+Prix+Bahrain+aGx

The new Formula 1 era delivered entertainment of the highest level, as Lewis Hamilton fended off Nico Rosberg after the pair spent most of the race slugging it out for top spot in thrilling fashion during the Bahrain Grand Prix, while behind them racing was equally fast and furious.

Under 5,000 light bulbs that lined Sakhir the Mercedes team, aptly known as the Silver Arrows, were in a class of their own. Totally trouncing their rivals in a manner which bordered on cruelty. But this did not stop the two self professed buddies from going wheel-to-wheel on several occasions to deliver a thrilling battle for victory which in the end went to Hamilton by the narrowest of margins.

And afterwards the two, who have been rivals since childhood, hugged and joked about it all – Formula 1 is in a good place no matter what the critics say….

The duel actually started 24 hours earlier when from out the blue Rosberg trumped Hamilton in qualifying, and it was clear that the sprint to Turn 1 when the lights went out would be crucial. Thus credit to Hamilton for getting off the line quickly and duck into the lead, with Rosberg having to tuck in behind.

Lewis+Hamilton+F1+Grand+Prix+Bahrain+mO3

It was riveting stuff as they tussled for that all important early lead, until Hamilton finally got a slight edge with Rosberg holding station and in pouncing distance,, where he remained throughout the race.

The pair renewed hostilities shortly before the first pitstop window and again gave the Mercedes gantry some anxious moments. Hamilton was the first to peel in and came out on the softer yellow band Pirelli tyres. A couple of laps later Rosberg swapped for the harder white band tyres and emerged around five seconds adrift of the leader.

At this point the difference in lap times between the two compounds was far less than expected – around half a second – Hamilton’s lead was never more than ten seconds, and it appeared that the Englishman was fully in control at that stage.

But then on lap 41 the safety car was deployed after a bizarre incident when Lotus driver Pastor Maldonado T-boned Esteban Gutierrez in Turn 1, which flipped the Sauber before it cam to a stop on the exit of the newly renamed Michael Schumacher corner.

dms1406ap2091-640x426.jpg

Immediately Hamilton and Rosberg pitted, Hamilton emerged on the harder tyres and Rosberg with the softer compound which appeared to put the ball firmly in his court.

After a long period behind the safety car, the field was unleashed for the final dozen or so laps, with Rosberg immediately on the attack from all angles as Hamilton defended for all he was worth. It was riveting stuff, not seen at this level of the sport for ages. Pure racing, and in this instance between teammates!

With a few laps to go Rosberg, on the supposedly quicker rubber could do little to reel in Hamilton, who took his second victory in a row but not before being urged by technical head Paddy Lowe to “just make sure we bring both cars home,”which they did but not without some heart-stopping moments in the process.

Ominously for their rivals, as they battled for the last ten laps the Mercedes pair still managed to pull away at a rate of around two seconds per lap!

A friendly rugby tackle in parc ferme as they emerged from their cars, and several hugs and handshakes later made it clear that there was no animosity between the two Silver Arrows boys.

Lewis+Hamilton+F1+Grand+Prix+Bahrain+HH2

Hamilton said afterwards, ”It’s great to see that we have such a great following here, I am so grateful to the team for getting us up here and this is my first win here in Bahrain which is nice. It was really exciting, Nico drove fantastically well, it was so fair but it was so hard to keep him behind me, I was on a real knife edge at the end but just managed to take it.”

Rosberg summed up his sentiments and perhaps those of many genuine F1 fans, ”I strongly dislike coming second to Lewis, I have to say that but it was definitely the most exciting race I have ever raced in my whole career. I think today was a day for the sport, we put on a fantastic show and I will be back to win here next season.”

Behind them, admittedly another league, it was equally frenetic as the night seemed to bring out battle between teammates. We has the Red Bull chaps at it, the Williams duo slugging it out, the Force India pair going wheel to wheel with one another, and with each other with a the two Ferrari drivers couple also in the mix.

Sergio+Perez+F1+Grand+Prix+Bahrain+R4dfA

In the end third place went to Sergio Perez and with it scoring Force India’s second ever grand prix podium finish (the first at Spa in 2009 with Giancarlo Fisichella) and delivering a just reward for the team who along with Nico Hulkenberg had been at the sharp end of proceedings all year, the German adding to the delight with fifth place on the night.

Perez was beaming from ear to ear after a strong showing for his new team, and summed up his feelings, ”It has been a while since my last podium, it is very special for me. It is only my third race with the team but a very good one.”

Driver of the day goes to Daniel Ricciardo, the Red Bull new recruit was again stellar despite having to start 13th after qualifying third the previous day.

He showed true grit in a race which did his shares the world of good, slugging it out with the best of the best, including teammate Sebastian Vettel and coming out on top. His charge through the field was audacious, and very nearly ended up on the podium, but fourth place was a remarkable achievement under the circumstances. Vettel was sixth.

Daniel+Ricciardo+F1+Grand+Prix+Bahrain+l

Ricciardo said with his trademark grin, ”It was an awesome race. The car came to me as the race went on and I was happy with how I moved up through the pack, so a good day. It was good fun to race Sebastian, it was hard but fair and we left each other room. That’s what we want from each other and we discussed it beforehand, we’re racers and that’s what we enjoy doing.”

Smart money would have been on either Williams driver ending up on the podium at Sakhir, but alas for the Grove based outfit it was not to be. Instead Felipe Massa crossed the line seventh, with Valtteri Bottas eighth – the two involved in several major skirmishes during the course of the evening. However it would be fair to safe to say that the FW36 was not kind to its tyres, and perhaps the safety car played against them too.

Massa reported afterwards, ”The biggest problem we had in the race was the safety car, it destroyed our strategy. It was not great. The start was amazing, I managed to get past a lot of cars, the pace was OK and I was fighting but the result at the end was not the right one. I think we need to analyse where we were supposed to finish. We were fighting until the end which is good for us.”

Fernando+Alonso+F1+Grand+Prix+Bahrain+EA

Before the race Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo declared that the current era had turned grand prix drivers into “taxi drivers”, but on the night the only drivers who looked like taxi drivers were Kimi Raikkonen and Fernando Alonso.

Two of the sport’s most respected drivers reduced to also rans, as yet again the technical team of heavy hitters, second to none in reputation it would seem, have simply delivered a woeful car or a dastardy engine or probably both combined.

Montezemolo is wrong in his declaration and should probably focus on getting his under performing and under delivering race team to up their game across the board. Alonso finished ninth and Raikkonen rounded out the top ten.

Great race thanks to safety car which took any fuel concerns out of the equation ,like I have said in the past give them a 100litres of fuel and then just let them get on with it ,one more lap and Ricciardo would have had Perez good stuff

Is it just me or are the new nose designs which are lowered to improve safety on frontal impact now just turn into high tech egg flips ,just putting it out there ,as it seemed to scoop under car and flipped it

Adrian Newey raised this concern some time back - To deaf ears...

ONLY ONE THING TO SAY ABOUT THAT "RUBBISH"

Okay... but where was Maldonardo suppose to go? I don't think he was too fast into the corner, didn't exactly shoot off the apex, and wasn't unable to make the turn.

Okay... but where was Maldonardo suppose to go? I don't think he was too fast into the corner, didn't exactly shoot off the apex, and wasn't unable to make the turn.

He was the driver that was behind so not into the side of Gutierrez would have been a good idea. Don't think Gutierrez had much of an idea that Maldonado was coming up from the back when they were in the corner. If Maldonado was smarter he would have waited for the next overtaking corner especially if he had a faster car.

• Like 1

Formula 1 cost cap plans abandoned according to FIA's Jean Todt

redb-todt-horn-mark-bahr-2014-8-470x313.

Formula 1's plans for a cost cap in 2015 have been abandoned, FIA president Jean Todt has revealed.

The FIA announced at the end of last year that it wanted a cost cap in place for next season, with it hoped agreement on how it could be enforced reached by June 2014.
But AUTOSPORT has learned that the six team representatives on F1's Strategy Group - Red Bull, Ferrari, Mercedes, Williams, McLaren, and Lotus - wrote to the FIA last month to say they did not believe plans for a budget cap were realistic.
They claimed that enforcing and policing a budget cap that would satisfactorily cover all the teams was impossible, and instead suggested that cost cuts should be made through technical and sporting regulations.
Attending his first grand prix of the season in Bahrain on Sunday, Todt confirmed that the teams had informed him of their belief.
And with him needing team support to push a cost cap through F1's Strategy Group he felt there was no point trying to press on with the idea.
"Most of the teams were in favour of the cost cap, but I understand that all the teams that are part of the Strategy Group are against it now," he said.
"So clearly, if the commercial rights holder, and if six teams, which means 12 of 18 are against, I cannot impose it. It's mathematics. So in this case, no more cost cap."
Todt said he had hoped the cost cap would work, as he thinks it will be harder to achieve the necessary budget restriction through regulation tweaks.
He added: "Am I disappointed? In a way I am disappointed because it may be more difficult to achieve the reduction which I feel is needed.
"But everyone says we are all in favour of reducing the cost, and through sporting and technical regulations."

I kinda agree in that Gutierrez wasn't on the racing line whereas Maldonado was, Gutierrez ran wide yet turned into the line of where Pastor was. Almost seems Esteban had some understeer as well as some inexperience to run on the line and take the apex correctly.

In saying this, Maldonado could have just hit the brakes and waited for the next turn.

Both drivers at fault in some manner of speaking IMO.

F1 bosses agree to look into ways to increase engine noise

1396796891.jpg

Formula 1 teams and the sport's bosses have agreed to look into ways to make the current cars louder, following complaints about the noise.
After a series of meetings over the Bahrain Grand Prix weekend to discuss the current state of F1, AUTOSPORT understands that unanimous agreement was reached for action to be taken regarding the noise.
A working group is to be set up by the FIA to look into the matter, with a view of making sure that the turbo noise can increase as soon as possible.
NOISE COMPLAINTS LISTENED TO
The new 1.6-litre turbo engines are quieter than last year's V8s, and there have been numerous complaints from fans, F1 commercial boss Bernie Ecclestone, some drivers and team people that the sound is not good enough.
It is hoped that tests for the revised engines can take place as early as the post-Spanish Grand Prix test in May.
FIA president Jean Todt, who has long backed the new fuel-efficient regulations, says he accepts that the complaints are strong enough that action is necessary.
"It's something we have been addressing with all the manufacturers involved in F1, to address the thing even with the new regulations," he told selected media including AUTOSPORT ahead of the Bahrain Grand Prix.
"So we must see if we can implement in short, medium, long term, a bigger noise. And that we will do and we will get unanimous agreement."
When asked when he believed the new cars would be louder by, Todt said: "It's very difficult for me to give you an accurate answer.
"I have been asked to address the problem of the noise. It is a problem which creates some concern.
"I feel that we can apply it with the unanimous agreement of how to apply it, then we will do it.
"After Barcelona there will be two days testing, so hopefully there is something that can be tested."
NO PUSH FOR FURTHER RULE CHANGES
1396796908.jpg
Although Todt accepts that the noise complaints are enough to require action, he does not agreee with suggestions of tweaks to the fuel economy regulations from Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo.
Di Montezemolo met with Todt in the hours ahead of the race to discuss his concerns about the matter.
Speaking after that meeting, Todt said: "We are in a world where unfortunately we don't have only one voice, which is fair.
"And in a world of competition those who are in front normally don't complain and those who are not in front normally do complain. It goes through history of motorsport and life.
"I don't think if you ask Hamilton and Rosberg if they are driving like taxi drivers...
"If you have an efficient car you don't have any problem.
"I hear that some engines are over the minimum limit of the weight of the engine, which is 145 kilos. If you have an engine five, ten or 15 kilos heavier of course it is not as powerful."

Honda and Ford could power new F1 teams in 2015

upCosworth1.jpg

New names could be on the engine covers of the four new team cars next season. There have been very strong suggestions that the un-named new team will have significant Honda backing as well as running its brand new power unit. Currently only McLaren has a deal with the Japanese marque but has admitted that it is not an exclusive deal.

Honda is set to open its new Formula 1 factory in Milton Keynes, England in June but has suggested that it will do more there than just service and support power units for the McLaren team.

Meanwhile the Haas Automation entry could utilise Ford branded Cosworth engines, the English firm has recently opened a new office in Detroit and developed its own power unit for the 2014 season, but refused to put it into production without a OEM partner.

McLaren boss Ron Dennis urges squabbling F1 to respect the future

McLaren chief defends 'new F1' as Ferrari and Ecclestone call for change; "We owe it to the young people of the future" warns Ron as bickering continues

McLaren chief Ron Dennis has urged F1 not to reverse course and retain a "socially-responsible position" after Bernie Ecclestone described the sport's new format as "unacceptable".

On a day of high drama - and even higher politicking - off the track in Bahrain, a heavyweight summit convened between FIA President Jean Todt, Ecclestone and Luca di Montezemolo concluded with both F1's commercial supremo and Ferrari's President calling for the sport to return to 'what F1 used to be'.

According to Montezemolo, making his first appearance of the year in an F1 paddock, F1 has become "too complicated" and the onus on drivers to save tyres and engines is "not Formula 1".

But Dennis is adamant F1 is doing the right thing in embracing greener technology, adding that the sport must not abandon its revolution and road-car relevancy with a sudden reversal barely two months after the new era dawned.

"There has to be a time, and I think that time is now, when we take a more socially-responsible position. The simple fact is that we live in a world where resources are depleting and the environment is being threatened. Yes, we are Formula 1, yes we are the pinnacle of motorsport, but being the pinnacle of motorsport means we have to have the latest technology," the McLaren chief executive trenchantly told Sky Sports News during an extended interview in the Bahrain paddock.

"Reluctantly, I admit, the teams and engine manufacturers have embraced the challenge of effectively competing in a grand prix with two-thirds less fuel than before and developing hybrid systems of the future. These KERS and ERS systems are incredibly complex and the intensity of the development that has gone into them masks the fact that this is the future."

Ferrari's antipathy to the 'new F1' has inevitably been linked to their struggles so far to keep pace with the frontrunners, but an indignant Montezemolo denied the team's opposition was motivated by self-interest.

"Ferrari has to be more competitive with the new rules," he told Sky Sports News. "I'm pushing for the rules to be competitive, it's not a question of changing the rules now but for the future."

Dennis, however, is convinced that vested interests have played a pivotal part in the recent outpouring of criticism against the sport's evolution.

"There is a very obvious short-termism, driven often by a lack of competitiveness, that certain teams have and they use anything to try to address their shortcomings," he cautioned.

"We are not the most competitive team at the moment but we know what the challenge is and that's the challenge of F1 - we have our own vision of engine development but these rules were made with everyone having an input and they weren't lacking in support at the formation.

"We have to get on with it and realise, as a sport, we owe it to the young people of the future."

FIA wins V6 turbo battle but is Ecclestone on the warpath and intent on a F1 coup d’etat?

Bernie+Ecclestone+F1+Grand+Prix+Bahrain+

Big politics are at play in Formula 1, amid the ongoing, high profile furore about ‘quiet’ V6 turbo engines and the urgent need to change rules, many suspect that Bernie Ecclestone is hard at work on what might well be his latest coup.

According to the respected correspondent for Auto Motor und Sport, Michael Schmidt, the Formula 1 Chief Executive is furious that the FIA won the battle to get V6 turbo engines on the F1 grid.

Ecclestone is reportedly now determined to win the war. FIA president Jean Todt declared very recently that a €150 million per team budget cap for 2015 was set to be imminently agreed.

“From all of my discussions,” said the Frenchman, “I conclude that the majority of the teams, the FIA and the rights owners do want this cost limitation.”

But is a very short space of time suddenly, everything has changed. Schmidt reports that the top teams in the new Formula 1 strategy group – Ferrari, Red Bull and Mercedes – counter-punched with a proposal of €260 million.

d11gbr1427-640x427.jpg

In effect, that would not be a budget cap at all. But Todt is now saying, “All six teams in the strategy group are suddenly against a budget cap.”

The other strategy group teams are McLaren, Williams and Lotus. It appears that Ecclestone may be moving to corner Todt and the FIA.

Initially a wild report, it now appears more and more plausible that Ecclestone is attempting a takeover coup that could leave Formula 1′s governing body completely in the cold.

Schmidt reports that Ecclestone is so serious that he is even prepared to drop the name Formula 1, which is owned by the FIA, in favour of GP1.

Devaluing the existing FIA-controlled Formula 1, by incessantly complaining about quiet engines and a dull, complicated, fuel-saving spectacle, suddenly makes sense.

Schmidt reports that Todt was informed about the strategy group’s newfound total opposition to a budget cap through a letter from none other than Ecclestone.

Mercedes secret is in the ingenious packaging of the V6 turbo Power Unit

GBL7148_V6_side_140116-640x427.jpg

The secret of Mercedes’ 2014 Formula 1 dominance has been likened to the game-changing advantage last seen with the double diffuser innovation of the 2009 season and active ride suspension of some decades ago.

It emerged in Bahrain that, beneath the skin of the dominant Mercedes-powered cars in 2014, the new turbo V6 features its turbine and air compressors uniquely packaged at either end of the ‘Power Unit’.

It means that, although McLaren, Williams and Force India are also benefitting from the sleek layout, the works Brackley based team had vast lead-time in designing the aerodynamic concept of the dominant W05 around it.

F12014GP02BHR_JK1541183-640x424.jpg

“We’re talking about 2014′s double diffuser with the exception that you can’t copy it this year,” Mark Hughes, a highly respected Formula 1 technical analyst, told the British broadcaster Sky in Bahrain.

“Its impact is maybe not quite as big as active ride [suspension], which was in the order of two seconds per lap, but it’s certainly a major technical advantage that they’ve engineered themselves in for the rest of the season.”

Hughes explained that, although the customer Mercedes teams are running precisely the same innovation, it is the works squad that is taking most advantage.

F12014GP02BHR_JK1539281-640x426.jpg

“They gave themselves a big head-start – it was the chassis team’s concept to ask for this from the engine people, and they delivered it.

“The difference [for the customer teams] is that they found out about the detail of the engine when they signed the contract.

“But the works team gave themselves three years to conceive the car around that feature.

“For [the customers], it’s presented as a little bit of a surprise, but they’re still getting an advantage from the system,” he added.

Lowe: It was not team orders, I just wanted to remind them to give each other space

dpl1406ap059-640x424.jpg

Mercedes boss Paddy Lowe insists that his drivers did not ignore a clear team order during the nail biting Bahrain Grand Prix.

Heading for a certain one-two, Lowe – who rarely talks to Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg during races – told the pair ten laps from the end to “make sure we bring both cars home”.

To many listeners, it was a clear team order.

“OK,” Rosberg responded, before launching a series of scintillating attacks on Hamilton.

Afterwards, Team Chairman Niki Lauda revelled in the spectacle, laughing that Rosberg and Hamilton clearly “didn’t listen” to Lowe.

dms1406ap213-1-640x426.jpg

Team Director Toto Wolff, however, insists that the drivers were free to race.

“The guys are racing,” he is quoted by Welt newspaper, “but in the context of a philosophy.”

The apparent philosophy is ‘don’t crash’. Briton Lowe said afterwards he was happy the silver-clad pair complied.

“It made me happier than anything,” he insisted. “It was one of the best races in a decade. That [radio message] was not to hold position, I just wanted to remind them to give each other space.”

According to Spiegel, Wolff agreed: “They knew not to do anything stupid in the third race.”

Rosberg also insisted that Lowe’s radio call was not a team order, ”I was well aware that the whole world was thinking ‘here we go, team orders’, but it wasn’t that at all.”

F12014GP02BHR_JK1542013-640x444.jpg

“The message was clear anyway, not really necessary to give such a message because we drive very hard, but in the end with the necessary respect but we’re free to race all the way,” said the German.

Another ‘team order’ issued in Bahrain was to world champion Sebastian Vettel, who was holding up the clearly faster sister Red Bull driven by team newcomer Daniel Ricciardo.

“Sebastian,” Vettel’s engineer told him, “can you let Ricciardo past, he is faster than you.”

Vettel complied, leaving an Australian as the star of the champion team in the floodlit desert, and of the 2014 season so far.

“Daniel has exceeded expectations,” team boss Christian Horner is quoted by Auto Motor und Sport.

“He has proved that he can compete with the best. We knew that he was good, but how good exactly was not entirely clear to us,” he added.

MIKA: I didn't see that as a team order - Mercedes simply wanted both cars to make it to the finish line and collect both podiums, and points. Brilliant racing by both guys.

Montezemolo: Seeing a Ferrari so slow on the straight gives me great pain

ddr1406ap026-640x424.jpg

Ferrari President Luca di Montezemolo did not wait to see Ferrari’s drivers collect the dregs of points on offer at the Bahrain Grand Prix, where Maranello’s finest were totally outclassed under the glare of 5,000 light bulbs.

Montezemolo having earlier admitted to pushing for rule changes to spice up the dull spectacle of Formula 1′s ‘new’ era, left the floodlit desert circuit during what many described as one of the best grands prix for a decade.

“I don’t think there is much more to see,” the Italian was quoted by La Gazzetta dello Sport before leaving the track mid-race.

“Seeing a Ferrari so slow on the straight gives me great pain,” he admitted. “I was not expecting much from this race, but something more [than this].

“It is necessary to put in extra effort and this week we have several things to try,” added Montezemolo, referring to the post-race test in the island Kingdom.

dms1406ap694-640x424.jpg

For many, the undoubted spectacle of the Bahrain Grand Prix, featuring Mercedes’ in-house duel but also battles throughout the field, put the lie to Montezemolo and Bernie Ecclestone’s weekend of moaning about the new era.

Mercedes’ Niki Lauda made the most stinging rebuke after the chequered flag, when he said “Anybody who complains that this is boring is an idiot”.

According to Auto Motor und Sport, he added: “All this nonsense about sound and fuel…it was one of the best races I’ve seen in my life.

“I hope that tomorrow Bernie and Luca take the time to watch it on TV.”

Mercedes team boss Paddy Lowe, obviously referring to words made by Ecclestone earlier in Bahrain, added: “This was exactly the right response to those who think Formula 1 is unacceptable for the fans.”

His colleague Toto Wolff agreed: “This was the best advertising for Formula 1 when it was urgently needed.”

Mallya: A long time coming, but it’s very satisfying to see Force India back on the podium

dcd1406ap194-640x424.jpg

Force India reached the giddy heights of second place in the Formula One constructors’ championship on Sunday after Mexican Sergio Perez secured only the second podium finish in the team’s history.

The McLaren reject’s third place in the floodlit Bahrain Grand Prix brought the added satisfaction of knocking his former employers into third place overall.

The only other time the Silverstone-based team have finished in the top three was ItalianGiancarlo Fisichella’s second place in Belgium in 2009 after starting from an unexpected pole position.

“Today is one of the greatest days in the history of our team,” said co-owner Vijay Mallya.

dms1406ap457-1-640x424.jpg

“It’s been a long time coming, but it’s very satisfying to see Sahara Force India back on the podium after so many near misses in recent years.”

With Germany’s Nico Hulkenberg finishing fifth, and scoring points for the third race in a row, Force India now have 44 points to McLaren’s 43.

Perez is no stranger to the podium, although he did not manage it all last season with McLaren, having enjoyed top-three placings with Sauber in 2012 but this was the hardest-won of any of them.

“It means a lot,” said the elated Mexican. ”It’s a very special podium for myself. I had a really tough time, my time in McLaren where I was basically quite far…I never had a chance to fight for a podium in all my year (there).”

dpl1406ap166-640x424.jpg

“Really, coming into Force India and being able to, only in my third race, to be able to qualify fourth and then straight away being able to fight for the podium was a great feeling. An amazing podium.”

Perez had his teammate to thank for it as well, with Hulkenberg holding Australian Daniel Ricciardo’s Red Bull at bay for long enough to allow the Mexican to get too far out of reach after the safety car period.

“We fought so hard and it’s been so close so many times that finally coming through is just wonderful,” said deputy principal Bob Fernley. ”It looked a little bit in jeopardy after that Safety Car came out.”

Todt gives mandate for working group to study F1 sound fix

d13ita425-640x427.jpg

Formula 1 will push ahead with attempting to make the sport’s new V6 turbo engines louder, with the support of FIA President Jean Todt.

Todt on Sunday revealed that the sound fix will begin shortly.

A working group will be set up to ‘explore ways to improve the turbo noise’, according to the Telegraph correspondent Daniel Johnson.

“Todt told reporters that possible solutions to the quieter sound will be tested after the race in Barcelona next month,” he added.

In an interview with the British broadcaster Sky on Sunday, Chief Executive Bernie Ecclestone was told by former driver Martin Brundle that changing the sound would surely require a total engine “redesign”.

But Ecclestone hit back: “The noise comes from where?

“All the air exits, in the end, out of what we call the exhaust pipe. So they can maybe do something there to make it sound a lot better,” he ventured.

But that doesn’t mean the teams are necessarily opposed to change, he added.

“The fact that the cars aren’t a bit [noizier] just doesn’t matter,” Dennis told Brundle on the grid, as he defended the revolutionarily modern new rules, and hit back at the outspoken critics.

“We can fix [the sound] easily, but what we should be focused on is what’s good for the generations to come.”

Kimi: Rivals in a different league

Kimi-Raikkonen_3116424.jpg

Kimi Raikkonen says such is Ferrari's lack of speed that he felt as if he was in a a "different class" to his rivals in Bahrain.
With the Mercedes drivers racing off into the distance, Raikkonen and Ferrari had hoped to get involved in the fight for third.
However, a distinct lack of pace meant the Finn was not able to bring his F14T into the mix and he finished tenth to Fernando Alonso's ninth.
"We didn't have the speed overall," Raikkonen lamented.
"We are lacking a bit in a straightline, we are lacking a bit in downforce, but the car is not handling so badly.
"It's not like there is a massive problem in handling, we are just lacking the downforce and the speed and the horsepower.
"But we knew that and we knew it was going to be the most difficult place of the year. We have to see what we can do for the next race."
Such is Ferrari's lack of speed that the Finn stated it was as if he was racing in a different class to his Mercedes-powered rivals.
"One of the Force Indias got me on the exit of Turn 8 and it was like a different class.
"I was surprised, obviously he came out of the pit lane [on new tyres] but I had only done a few laps on my tyres and I carried the corner and he just came inside of me and went past. I had no answer and in the next corner he had massive traction also. So it's not just horsepower.
"With the Red Bulls we seem to be able to keep them behind on the straights more easily and then in the corners they seem to get so close and that means we are lacking a bit of downforce as well as straight-line speed."