FORMULA 1 - 2014

Malaysian Grand Prix: Mark Webber on pill that takes driver temperature

http://youtu.be/5wNAN00vCXQ

Mark Webber meets Dr Simon Sostaric to talk about the pill that drivers take to measure their core temperature during hot Formula 1 races.

The former Red Bull racer says the pill is a welcome change from the alternative method of taking a person's core temperature - by using a rectal thermometer.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, the news for Formula 1 is pretty much at a trickle, mostly all repetition. I think I'll end the 2014 season and thread here, thank you all for reading and contributing throughout the year. Ha

Keep up the good work, your F1 thread on the forum is my go-to for news these days. As a fan who has attended Monaco 6 or 7 times in various capacities I can't get enough of whats going on - it almos

What an absolute tool. That is all

Malaysian GP: Jenson Button wants more from McLaren

_73910960_jenson-button-getty.jpg

McLaren driver Jenson Button said his car was not quick enough to compete at the Malaysian Grand Prix.
The Briton finished sixth in Malaysia - 36 seconds behind fifth-placed Nico Hulkenberg, driving for Force India.
Button's countryman Lewis Hamilton won the race, with Germany's Nico Rosberg second.
"I don't think the high speed here and the heat worked for us but there is no getting away from the fact that we are weak in high speed," Button said.
"We do have strength and that's why we are able to keep teams behind us but at speed we have got a lot of work to do.
"We finished 36 seconds behind Force India and they have been a bit of a surprise to us.
"We got the best out of today, and I am happy with that, but do have to improve to get close to the front rows."
Force India have picked up 29 points from the first two races, despite Sergio Perez failing to take his place on the grid in Malaysia after a software problem.
Hulkenberg, who rejoined the Silverstone-based team this season, took sixth place in the season's opening race in Australia and was fifth in Malaysia, one place behind Ferrari's Fernando Alonso.
He said: "After the start, I was in a nice comfortable position so it was easier to manage the tyres and fuel which was good.
"Alonso was eating me alive but I knew there was no way to keep him at bay. I was expecting McLaren - and more so Williams - would be all over me but we performed very well."
Marcus Ericsson, who spun off in qualifying on Saturday and retired in Australia, finally completed his first race for Caterham.
"I want to thank the boys in the garage for working so hard to fix my car after yesterday's accident," he said.
"I was feeling a bit low last night, but to have finished my first full Grand Prix in 14th, helping us move up into 10th place in the constructors' championship, is a great feeling, for me and everyone in Caterham."
After finishing second in his F1 debut in Australia, McLaren's Kevin Magnussen finished ninth in Malaysia and was involved in controversy - earning a five-second stop-go penalty after a collision with Kimi Raikkonen's Ferrari on the second lap.
The incident caused Raikkonen a puncture and dropped the Finn to the back of the field, although he recovered to finish 12th.
Magnussen said: "I'm sorry for the team that I messed things up going into the second corner, with the incident with Kimi. I think we could have scored some good points today, so I'm disappointed with and for myself, too. They are long races, so I shouldn't have made a mistake like that so early on in the afternoon.
"But that sort of stuff happens sometimes - and, when it does, you just have to learn from it, and I will."
It was also a day to forget for Red Bull's Daniel Ricciardo, forced to retire after 49 laps and handed a 10-place grid penalty after the race for an unsafe release from the pits, which will affect his starting position on the grid in Bahrain next week.
The Australian was disqualified from his home grand prix two weeks ago for a breach of fuel rules.
Ricciardo said: "I'm really disappointed, but at the same time there's a little bit in me which is happy because I think I've come out of the first two races how I wanted to.
"We've started off on the right foot, so for that I'm pleased and with a little bit of luck we'll turn things around soon and I'll get some points. I love racing up the front, it's been a privilege and a lot of fun in the last couple of races."

Pirelli report from the Malaysian Grand Prix

dpl1430ma055-640x424.jpg

Malaysia, one of the toughest tests of the year for tyres because of its high temperatures and an abrasive surface, demonstrated the reduced graining and increased durability of this year’s Pirelli tyres, with no blistering despite track temperatures that peaked at 46 degrees centigrade. Just 15 drivers finished the grand prix, underlining the rate of attrition.

The P Zero Orange hard and P Zero White medium tyres were nominated for the race, but with more than a second difference in race pace between the two compounds, a key part of the strategy consisted of the ability to adapt tyre choice to the characteristics of each car and the evolving race conditions.

The top two finishers, Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg (who claimed the first one-two for Mercedes since the 1955 Italian Grand Prix) both used exactly the same three-stop strategy: three stints on the medium tyre followed by a final stint on the hard tyre, of just five and six laps respectively at the end of the race.

Force India’s Nico Hulkenberg was the highest-placed two-stopper in fifth, having fought for a podium place from seventh on the grid. The German completed a long final stint on the hard tyre, but was able to match some of the competitors on the softer medium tyre for performance.

Pirelli’s motorsport director Paul Hembery said: “This was a tough race, with track temperature of 46 degrees at the start and the most abrasive surface that we visit all year. In spite of this the tyres showed an overall balance of performance that allowed a close battle for the lead. There was no blistering or graining, and while drivers had to manage thermal degradation, a three-stop race is in line with the requirements the sport has asked Pirelli to deliver.”

Pirelli-Malaysia.jpg

Truth-O-Meter:

Our prediction for the race was a tough one to call after qualifying was run in wet weather, minimising slick tyre data available. But we said that the fastest theoretical way for the 56-lap race should be to start on the medium, change to the medium again on lap 15, medium once more on lap 29 and a final stint on the hard from lap 43.

We were quite close. Hamilton started on the medium; made his first stop for mediums again on lap 15, second stop for more mediums on lap 33, and his final stint on the hard from lap 51.

Pretty boring race but still better than nothing :)

Feels like last year when Red Bull ran away w everything

Glad Massa didn't give in to team orders

Alonso consistent w 4th again, probably will best spot all year unless they qualify better, Mercs and RB too strong

Pretty boring race but still better than nothing :)

Feels like last year when Red Bull ran away w everything

Glad Massa didn't give in to team orders

Alonso consistent w 4th again, probably will best spot all year unless they qualify better, Mercs and RB too strong

Agree with all these points.

Hamilton: We learned a lot from practice and that is why I blew Nico away

Lewis+Hamilton+F1+Grand+Prix+Malaysia+IS

Lewis Hamilton has upped the ante ni his thus far amicable rivalry with Mercedes teammate Nico Rosberg by claiming that “I blew him away” in the Malaysian Grand Prix at Sepang.

The 2008 world champion comfortably won the Malaysian Grand Prix from pole, and although German Rosberg finished second in the sister Mercedes, Hamilton claimed it was one of the easiest triumphs of his eight-year career.

“It’s massive. I don’t remember the last time in my career I had a gap like that, particularly with a teammate driving the same car,” said the Briton.

Hamilton said he had built his advantage from the very start of the practice sessions, “I felt I had the edge. We learned a lot from practice but it is one thing learning it, another applying it. But it worked and that is why I blew him away.”

dcd1430ma306-640x427.jpg

Rosberg won the season opener in Melbourne but only after Hamilton – again from pole – retired with an engine problem.

“I’m pushing myself more than my teammate is pushing me. That’s where the push is coming from,” Hamilton said at Sepang late on Sunday.

“Nico is very quick, he’s won the first race, he’s always there, so naturally we are pushing each other.

“But this year I’m pushing myself that extra. I’m eking out more than I’ve ever been able to eke out.”

Jenson Button, a former teammate of Hamilton’s, thinks that Sepang on Sunday was a psychological as well as an actual victory for the 28-year-old.

F12014GP02MAL_HZ9428-001-640x427.jpg

“Looking at what Lewis did is going to hurt [Rosberg] a little bit. He was super-fast,” he said.

“That is a lot to put between you and your teammate when you have both had a clear race. I am sure that is strike one to him,” Button added.

Ex Formula 1 driver and BBC pundit David Coulthard agrees: “If that was a pure driver-to-driver battle, then Nico psychologically will have taken a bit of a hit.”

Mercedes Chairman Niki Lauda is quoted by Speed Week: “I have no idea why Nico could not drive at Lewis’ level. But I am glad that they were not fighting with each other. Now we have to analyse what was the issue with Nico’s car as it must be corrected and then we move to Bahrain.”

Rosberg himself admitted after the race, “I was trying to chase Lewis but he was a bit too quick.”

Ricciardo: I’m really disappointed, but at the same time there’s a little bit in me which is happy

479868441MT00055_F1_Grand_P-640x424.jpg

Red Bull boss Christian Horner had high praise for Daniel Ricciardo Sunday after the Australian driver hit problem after problem at the Malaysian Grand Prix and still came out smiling.

Ricciardo was disqualified from a glorious second-place finish at the season-opener in Australia and he could have justified a foul mood after a disastrous sequence of events at Sepang.

“It went from looking good, to looking pretty bad, in a short amount of time,” Ricciardo said.

“I’m really disappointed, but at the same time there’s a little bit in me which is happy because I think I’ve come out the first two races how I wanted to, in a way.”

First Ricciardo’s fuel sensor, at the centre of the Australian controversy, failed, and then he drove off with a loose wheel after a pit stop, and had to return to the garage to have it refitted.

479868513MT00176_F1_Grand_P-640x427.jpg

As he returned to the track, dropping from fourth to last, Ricciardo’s front wing came loose and damaged a front tyre, meaning that he had to go back to the pits again.

He then had to serve a 10-second stop-go penalty, and was given a 10-place grid penalty at the next race for the unsafe pit stop. He retired before the end of the grand prix.

But despite his troubles, the 24-year-old still managed a smile when he hopped out of his car – earning further admiration from his new Team Principal.

“Daniel was fantastic today, I think he absolutely proved any doubters wrong,” Horner said. “He’s an absolute racer.

“Everything we’ve seen of Daniel has been enormously impressive and the way that he’s handled adversity – today didn’t go his way but he gets out of the car and he’s got a smile on his face. He knows that it will come right.”

479868513MT00203_F1_Grand_P-640x424.jpg

Horner said that the failure of Ricciardo’s fuel sensor could strengthen Red Bull’s case, which is based on the technology’s unreliability, when they appeal his Australian disqualification next month.

“It’s not been the only issue with the sensors this weekend on our cars. I think it clearly demonstrates that there are issues with these sensors,” he said.

But he admitted he had “no idea” why Red Bull was having so many problems with the fuel sensors, an issue which has badly affected their start to the season.

“Obviously we’ve got a load of data to go away look at. Theoretically they shouldn’t [fail] but we need to look at that and understand it,” said Horner.

Despite Ricciardo’s problems, Red Bull could celebrate their first podium finish of the season after defending world champion Sebastian Vettel placed third, a victory for the team after severe problems in pre-season testing.

“It was great to get the podium, hopefully we’ll keep it this time,” Horner joked darkly.

Williams in damage control mode to diffuse tensions after team orders embarrassment

Felipe+Massa+F1+Grand+Prix+Malaysia+Prac

Team orders triggered another Malaysian Grand Prix controversy on Sunday, with Brazilian Felipe Massa defiant after refusing to obey an instruction to let Williams teammate Valtteri Bottas overtake, leaving the team in an embarrassing situation and with damage control high on their agenda before the next race in Bahrain.

Massa, no stranger to unwelcome radio messages at his previous team, Ferrari, finished the second race of the Formula One season in seventh place, just ahead of his frustrated Finnish teammate.

McLaren’s Jenson Button was sixth, managing to hold off the Williams pair despite struggling for straight line pace.

Williams Chief Operations Engineer Rod Nelson said that the team felt that Bottas had fresher tyres than Button and would have been able to challenge the Briton better than Massa, whose rising engine temperature was causing concern.

dne1430ma299-001-640x426.jpg

The Brazilian didn’t see it that way and said he had been surprised to hear the message “Valtteri is faster than you, do not hold him up” over the team radio.

“What I did was correct and I try and do the best for the team. I’m sure the result would not have changed if I let him by. What I did in my opinion was correct and I’m doing everything I can to help the team,” he told reporters.

“The team respect me 100 per cent and they showed they respect me after the race so I have no problem at all. What happened today was not what I expected but what I did was correct,” added the Brazilian.

“The problem was that I was much quicker than McLaren [for] the whole race, but going out the last corner they had very good traction…Valtteri had the same problem, overtaking McLaren was not easy.”

Nelson said thatthe plan had been for Bottas to attack Button, but if he wasn’t able to overtake, then Massa would have been allowed to reclaim seventh from the Finn.

Choosing his words carefully, Nelson said that there would be a discussion with both drivers later regarding the matter and that it was “a strategic decision” rather than team orders.

Valtteri+Bottas+F1+Grand+Prix+Malaysia+P

“He didn’t do what we would have preferred him to do,” he said of Massa.

“We look to maximise our constructor points whenever we go racing, Felipe was running high temperatures on his engine and we were a little bit concerned about it and Valtteri had much fresher tyres, certainly than Jenson did.

“We thought it would be good to give Valtteri a go against Jenson and then if he hadn’t achieved that in two or three laps we would have swapped our drivers over again.”

Nelson said that Williams did not have team orders.

“Its not like other teams where they have a No 1 driver and a No 2 driver, we have two No 1 drivers. And its a race situation,” he explained.

dne1406ma82-640x426.jpg

“We will go through with the drivers tonight and discuss what we expect.”

Bottas was in sombre mood after addressing reporters after Massa, initially trying to steer questions off the subject, which took the shine off Williams moving into fourth in the constructors standings, on 20 points.

The Finn said that he had followed a subsequent instruction by not overtaking Massa in the final two laps before contradicting the Brazilian’s version of discussion in pre-season.

“We have spoken beforehand about these situations but I think we need to go more into the details,” the Finn said, adding that he believed that he could have overtaken Button.

dcd1428ma450-640x424.jpg

“We are going to talk through it and what we need to do next time in similar situations so everything is clear. What are the rules… and [hopefully it] allows us to get more points.”

The wording of the message would have been particularly painful for Massa, who was famously told “Fernando is faster than you” while leading the 2010 German Grand Prix.

On that occasion, he moved over to let teammate Fernando Alonso win in what he later described as the toughest moment of his career with Ferrari.

Last year’s Malaysian Grand Prix had two similar controversies, with Red Bull’s world champion Sebastian Vettel ignoring a coded ‘multi 21′ instruction and passing teammate Mark Webber for victory.

Mercedes’ Nico Rosberg, who finished second behind teammate Lewis Hamilton in Sunday’s race, obeyed an order last year to hold station behind the Briton.

Drivers unsure over new boss for Formula 1 union

d13ger422-640x427.jpg

The future of the official Formula 1 drivers’ association (GPDA) appears to be in danger.

I reported after the season-opening Australian Grand Prix that current GPDA president Pedro de la Rosa wants to step down.

Speed Week said that the Ferrari reserve driver informed his colleagues in Melbourne and scheduled a vote for his successor to take place, in Malaysia.

But the same publication now reports that while the matter was put on the table at a meeting at Sepang, the drivers could not find a willing candidate.

The issue will reportedly be back on the agenda this weekend in Bahrain.

Alongside 43-year-old Spaniard de la Rosa, the other GPDA directors at present are Jenson Button and reigning world champion Sebastian Vettel.

Bahrain debut for van der Garde

vdg_3111700.jpg

Giedo van der Garde will have his first run in Sauber's C33 when he takes to the Sakhir circuit in Friday practice for the Bahrain GP.
The Dutchman, who joined Sauber from Caterham at the start of the year, will replace Esteban Gutierrez for FP1.
Meanwhile, Russian teenager Sergey Sirotkin will be in action for the team on the first day of the two-day Bahrain test.
The 18-year-old will test the C33 on Tuesday 8 April, racking up the miles in his bid to secure his superlicence.
He will hand the car over to van der Garde for the final day of testing.

Perez aiming to bounce back

Sergio-Perez_3108649.jpg

Sergio Perez won't let his non-start in Malaysia get him down, adamant there are still positives to be taken from the weekend.
Qualifying 14th in the rain on Saturday, Perez had hoped to work his way into the points in Sunday's 56-lap Malaysian GP.
However, disaster struck on his way to the grid when his VJM07 suffered a gearbox issue, which meant Perez was not able to take the start.
"I'm disappointed not to have a chance to race," he said.
"We are still investigating the cause of the problem but the car kept going into neutral when I was downshifting on the way to the grid. I made it back to the garage but we could not find a solution."
However, the former McLaren driver is adamant he won't let this latest setback get him down.
He added: "I need to focus on the positives because we learned a lot from the weekend so I hope we can come back stronger in Bahrain.
"It's been a frustrating weekend for me but at least we are racing again in seven days and can look forward to putting the disappointment behind us."

Horner: Ricciardo's penalty is harsh

horner_3109972.jpg

Although Christian Horner believes Daniel Ricciardo's 10-place grid penalty for Bahrain is "harsh", he concedes that is the rule.
Ricciardo was hit with a drive-through penalty in Sunday's Malaysian GP when Red Bull released him from the pits with a loose left front wheel.
The error was compounded after the grand prix when the Aussie was also handed a 10-place grid penalty for the next race in Bahrain.
Horner says it is a harsh punishment but concedes it is laid out in the regulations.
"The rules are pretty clear," the team boss told Autosport.
"For an unsafe release, it is a stop-go penalty of 10 seconds and a 10-place grid penalty for the next race, so the punishment is harsh for the crime.
"It is the rules, so that is what it will be."
As for Red Bull's error, it was an unusual mistake from a team that in the past has dominated the pit stop battles.
"The wheel wasn't located correctly," Horner explained. "It went on OK, it was done up, but the gunman felt that something wasn't quite right.
"He was going to check and put an extra couple of turns into it, but the latch on the gun had switched back across so he effectively undid it.
"It is one of those things. Our pit crew have the fastest pit stops in the pit lane and a mistake was made, but that is how it goes sometimes."

Kimi: Magnussen ended points run

Kimi-Raikkonen-and-Sebastian-Vettel_3110

Kimi Raikkonen has lamented a lost opportunity in Malaysia, saying Kevin Magnussen "wiped out" his chances of scoring.
Starting sixth on Sunday afternoon, Raikkonen had hoped to fight for a strong points results. That, though, didn't happen.
Fighting for position off the line, the Ferrari driver was tagged by McLaren rookie Magnussen resulting in a puncture.
Not only did the puncture and the unscheduled stop drop Raikkonen behind the field but it also damaged his F14T.
Raikkonen, though, remained in the grand prix but could only manage 12th place.
"I am very disappointed with how this race turned out, because I got a good start, but then the collision with Magnussen damaged my right rear tyre, which meant I had to make an extra stop," he said.
"That wiped out any chance I had of fighting for a good finish.
"After the accident, the car's handling was not the same, as the tyre had caused damage to the floor, which led to a loss of downforce.
"On my first set of tyres, I had some difficulties and it was only after the final stop, when I fitted the Mediums that it went better, but by then it was too late.
"Hard to say how things might have gone without that problem, because our rivals were very quick, but maybe I could have finished close to Fernando.
"It was a really unlucky day, but overall we managed to improve our performance and now we must concentrate on the positive aspects of this weekend and work to improve starting already next week in Bahrain."

Sirotkin to test for Sauber in Bahrain

saub-siro-soch-2013-6-470x313.jpg

Sergey Sirotkin will take part in the Bahrain test for Sauber following this week’s grand prix.
Teams will conduct the first of four in-season tests at the circuit on Tuesday and Wednesday next week.
The team said Sirotkin will drive the C33 on Tuesday in order to complete enough mileage to be granted a superlicence. He previously did a demonstration run for the team in Sochi, where the inaugural Russian Grand Prix will be held later this year.
Test driver Giedo van der Garde will do the other day of testing and will also drive during first practice for the Bahrain Grand Prix on Friday.
Head of track engineering Giampaolo Dall’Ara admitted the team still have progress to make with their new car:
“We went testing in Bahrain twice before the start of the season and were not happy with the performance of the car, which had a lot to do with a lack of straightline speed and some issues under braking.
“Since then we have improved the car in different areas, particularly under braking. In addition, the performance in medium and high speed corners is quite good as well.
“However, we still have room for improvement in low speed corners, and the straightline speed is still an issue.”

Wait…did Lewis just win the title?

SNE10979_copy-640x424.jpg

This past weekend I watched Lewis Hamilton win the Malaysian Grand Prix. No one is more elated to see Lewis shed the troubles of the past and come out so focused, determined and dominant than I was. He’s back in the hunt and proved that Australia’s DNF was merely a mechanical issue that is easily overcome.

Today I was reading some of the race reports and this story over at Sky Sports F1 sums up much of the British presses over-the-moon adulation for what, to me, appeared as a race victory in comprehensive fashion much like his teammate, Nico Rosberg, did in Australia.

Reading some of the comments from Fleet Street, you would think Lewis secured the championship such was his dominance and morale-killing performance on Sunday. I have a bad memory but I’m pretty sure Sebasitan Vettel, Nico Rosberg, Fernando Alonso and Kimi Raikkonen are not stunned into submission. I don’t think anything Lewis did on Sunday has the top drivers quite as galvanized as the press would suggest.

Sure, Lewis is British and the media have been calling for his Schumacher-eclipsing domination of F1 since he entered the sport back in 2007. A quarter of the way through his first year, you’d have thought that he had already sewn up two titles by the way they were glowing about Lewis.

I have little room to talk because we don’t even have an American driver on the grid but I can say categorically that if we did, I would not be ascribing victories, titles and accolades to him/her prior to them earning it.

Lewis is a very talented driver and a world champion. He could win a second title this year but we’ll have to wait and see how this all plays out. I’m elated for Lewis and happy that British fans are ecstatic about his return to form but let’s have some perspective here folks. Both Lewis and Nico didn’t miss the fact that Vettel was standing on the podium with them and this is a team who couldn’t complete three laps a few weeks ago.unsure.png

“There is a line on Lewis Hamilton’s fastidiously decorated helmet – taken from the American poet and author Maya Angelou – which reads “Still I Rise”,” The Guardian wrote. “But for Nico Rosberg and the other Formula 1 drivers who trail in his phosphorescent wake there should be another message: Mind The Gap. The letters should be very large, and placed on the back of the helmet.”

Really? huh.png

I hope they’re right but I think we should wait and see, don’t you?

Maybe Williams F1’s Felipe Massa will come roaring back to claim that missing title from 2008 from Lewis on the last lap of a double points race…?

Just saying! wink.png

People will get over the sound: Webber

Webber-Mark-Spanish-GP-C600.png

Mark Webber says people “will get over” the sound of Formula 1′s new turbocharged V6 engines.
Criticism of the changes from fans and key paddock figures has dominated the sport in recent weeks, with Sebastian Vettel’s comments generating the biggest attention at last weekend’s Malaysian Grand Prix.
However, Webber – preparing for a sportscar return with Porsche – believes it will only be a matter of time before the it will be brushed aside, arguing that motorsport will forever seek progress.
“I think it’s a little bit better live than it is on TV,” said Webber, when asked about the situation by talkSPORT.
“But I think this is the way motorsport will go. With the racing that we’re now doing with Porsche in the World Endurance Championship, it’s the same technology [as Formula 1] and a lot of hybrid influence in the cars. That’s how it will go and the manufacturers are forced to go that way because of the rules. You can’t have both.
“It’s like Concorde doesn’t fly anymore. That was pretty cool when it flew but it certainly wasn’t very popular for the people inside the M25 [motorway], was it? Now planes are quieter. Things change.
“Formula 1, of course, needs the acoustic factor to it but I think people will get over that.”

I was standing on the pitwall on the South Track support paddock during practice on friday and was having a quiet conversation with a mate about why our ear drums weren't being ripped to shreds. Webber's right though, people will get over the fact that there's no more screaming engines, but they've gotta come up with something that'll make it more exciting or risk losing fans. I have to admit that the turn out was pretty bad

Allison: We are working in a constant way in all the areas of potential development

James+Allison+F1+Testing+Day+2+MAJ43CH83

The day after the Malaysian Grand Prix Ferrari is already at work on development of the F14 T aimed at improving the overall performance of the car.

The Scuderia’s Technical Director James Allison summed up the work carried out so far and what is still to come: “We are working in a constant way and with the highest levels of dedication in all the areas of potential development.”

“We brought a useful upgrade to the Malaysian GP and were duly rewarded with a more competitive performance than at the first race, but the whole team is in no doubt about the size of the challenge that remains ahead of us this season.”

140041mal-640x427.jpg

The work towards better performance encompasses all areas: “We are not disregarding anything,” adds Allison. “Much has been spoken about the new power units on the 2014 cars, but it is rarely mentioned that 1% of engine power is not so different in its effect on the stopwatch as 1% of aero efficiency.”

The road to follow in the Technical Director’s mind is clear: “Our development programme will keep delivering steps to the efficiency of the F14-T; aero, power unit, mechanical grip – race by race these steps will help to hunt down those in front.”

Allison signs off with a sign of optimism even if Bahrain will be another very difficult race for the Scuderia: “If we can keep up the progress that we made between Melbourne and Malaysia then it will start to tell in both in grid positions and in the Championship.”

I was standing on the pitwall on the South Track support paddock during practice on friday and was having a quiet conversation with a mate about why our ear drums weren't being ripped to shreds. Webber's right though, people will get over the fact that there's no more screaming engines, but they've gotta come up with something that'll make it more exciting or risk losing fans. I have to admit that the turn out was pretty bad

I recall wearing ear plugs when the V10's were around and wondered why wear the plugs when you can still hear the sound those beasts used to generate and your head would still be ringing from the high decibels. Then the 8's came and they too were loud. Now, I'm guessing you can go without.

It's one thing to get used to the engine sound, but I will always miss 'pure' Formula 1 without the tweaks and "Going Green".

Thanks for posting your thoughts and welcome to the forum. :)

Bahrain Grand Prix: Pirelli preview weekend at Sakhir

ONY1913-640x427.jpg

Pirelli, along with all the Formula teams, tested at the Sakhir circuit twice in the build-up to the season – so this should be a circuit that everybody knows well.

However, to celebrate its 10th anniversary, the race has been given a 6pm start time for the first time in its history, meaning that it will start at sunset and end in full darkness: a bit like the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.

This will have an important effect on the behaviour of the P Zero White medium and P Zero Yellow soft tyres that have been nominated for the race. Ambient and track temperatures will fall considerably during the race – with a drop in track temperature of 15 degrees entirely possible – which will alter the performance and degradation characteristics of the tyres. As night racing in Bahrain is an unknown quantity, the preparation work in free practice will be essential.

Paul Hembery, Pirelli motorsport director: “Bahrain is a circuit where we’ve done two recent tests, so we go there with a lot of knowledge of the track, which we certainly benefit from. We know that there’s a big traction demand and that’s why we’re bringing the medium and soft tyres. Temperatures at the start of the race should still be reasonably high. We’ve noted a very big drop in temperature though as soon as the sun goes down: a variation that can be as big as 15 degrees. Managing that very wide range of temperatures to get the best out of the tyres is going to be one of the biggest challenges for the teams throughout the weekend. This should make it quite tactical in terms of strategy, so it should be a very interesting race from that point of view.”

Jean Alesi, Pirelli consultant driver: ”I’ve driven in Bahrain but not in Formula One: instead it was in the Speedcar series, which was a little bit like NASCAR. So I got to experience the track and see that you need a smooth and clean rhythm to get the most out of the tyres, especially in the traction areas, so that you don’t put too much stress through them. The circuit is quite abrasive but it has a nice flow to it, although competing at night will be a new challenge. The most important thing is to try and control the degradation, but again, that might be very different after dark. It’s going to be interesting to watch and managing the tyres is definitely going to be important.”

The circuit from a tyre point of view:

Bahrain is quite demanding on the tyres, particularly during traction areas, with the surface tread temperature peaking at 130 degrees centigrade.

Aerodynamics is another important factor in Bahrain. With four 300kph straights, teams tend to use medium downforce, but this can compromise corner entry and braking stability, causing lock-ups that damage the tyres.

Sand on the track from the surrounding desert can also disrupt traction and cause wheelspin, leading to increased tyre degradation. Two years ago, a sandstorm actually halted one of Pirelli’s test sessions in Bahrain.

Braking is another key characteristic of the Bahrain International Circuit: in the first corner the cars decelerate from 315kph to 65kph in just 130 metres and three seconds. This places a force on the tyres equivalent to around 4.5g.

Following the Bahrain Grand Prix, the first two-day in-season test will take place (from April 8-9). Each team has to devote one day of testing to tyres this year, with Caterham carrying out test duties on the first day in Bahrain, and Mercedes and Williams testing tyres during day two.

Last year, Sebastian Vettel won the race from second on the grid using a three-stop strategy: starting on the medium tyre and then completing three stints on the hard. A wide variety of strategies were adopted, with some drivers also stopping twice.

Todt denies favouring grand prix races in Middle East

d12brn2459-640x427.jpg

FIA president Jean Todt has denied Formula 1′s Middle Eastern races are receiving preferential treatment.

Two of the three pre-season tests were held in Bahrain, the troubled island Kingdom, and after the Grand Prix is held there next weekend, teams will stay in the Gulf for a post-race test.

Todt, however, argues there is no reason Formula 1 should not call Bahrain home.

“All over the world there are political problems – in Asia, the Middle East and even in Europe,” he told Welt am Sonntag newspaper.

“We have to be careful not to mix that with sporting matters. Our task is to organise a great motor sport event there,” Todt insisted.

As for why so much testing has been taking place in Bahrain this year, he answered: “We didn’t force the teams to test in Bahrain.

“In fact the initiative came from them, because they believed it has ideal conditions that are representative of the conditions of many races this season,” Todt explained.

“They like the track, the facility — the FIA can hardly say they can’t go to Bahrain to test,” he added.

Compounding the impression of a Middle Eastern preference, however, is the fact that nearby Abu Dhabi will hold a highly controversial ‘double points’ season finale in November.

Asked why Abu Dhabi is suddenly worth more than any other race, Todt answered: “There is no extra value of the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.

“This is just an attempt to make the season finale even more spectacular. I like it when people come to me with ideas — shall we award points for qualifying, should the points be distributed differently?

“We agreed with all of the teams to try this model for the last race. At the time, I was not even aware that it would be Abu Dhabi,” he said.

Told that the ‘double points’ idea has not been popular, Todt responded: “Even teams that agreed with the idea suddenly decided to criticise.

“Everybody can have his opinion. To be honest, even I am uncomfortable with singling out one race out of 19, but if it gives us an unforgettable season finale, I will be the first who is happy about it.”

Asked if the idea could be expanded for future seasons, Todt answered: “Well it makes no sense if every race is double points! But yes, if it works this season, why shouldn’t we have some more?”

Red Bull and FIA deny Vettel rebuke over engine noise insult

dms1414ma2242-640x427.jpg

Red Bull and the FIA have denied reports that world champion Sebastian Vettel was rebuked after swearing about Formula 1′s new engine noise.

When the reigning world champion was asked in Malaysia about the milder tone of the turbo V6s, he replied bluntly: “It’s shit”.

“A report then began circulating that FIA president Jean Todt had contacted Vettel to warn him about bad language,” the Telegraph’s new Formula 1 correspondent, Daniel Johnson, revealed on Monday.

Johnson added that the report has been “strenuously denied” by the FIA.

“No one’s spoken to me about it over the weekend,” Red Bull team boss Horner told the BBC. “He should be applauded for saying what he thinks.”

Todt had warned drivers about bad language back in 2012, but Horner insisted Red Bull allows its drivers “freedom of expression”.

Marko: With a better engine we would be at the top, but we have 80 horsepower deficit

Helmut+Marko+Australian+F1+Grand+Prix+Pr

Red Bull’s Helmut Marko is continuing to pile pressure on the world champion team’s engine supplier Renault, despite a good showing at Sepang.

Although the total calamity of the winter season was overcome, the always-outspoken Marko insists Renault cannot even take the credit for the resurgence.

He told Formula 1′s official website that when the seriousness of the winter problems became clear, Red Bull “intervened”.

“Together with Toro Rosso and Renault we started a collaboration to move forward,” said Marko.

However, he still claims the only “sick” part of the RB10 package is the engine, insisting that designer Adrian Newey’s 2014 car is better than the dominant Mercedes.

dpl1430ma229-640x424.jpg

“Yes, [with a better engine] we would be at the top again,” said the blunt Austrian. ”But right now with a deficit of around 80 horse power that’s simply not possible.”

Marko hinted that if it was technically possibly to simply dump Renault and switch to a better engine, Red Bull would do it.

“You are bound to what you have,” he said, “as there is no way of saying ‘hey, from tomorrow we will use a Mercedes engine’ – if they would give it to us – because this car is built around the Renault powertrain,” he said.

Marko claimed that Red Bull had to use Renault’s Melbourne-spec software in Malaysia because the Sepang version was “not working”.

479868441KR00099_F1_Grand_P-640x428.jpg

But Renault insist that they are now ready to take the next development step for Bahrain.

“The positive is that, unlike Melbourne we don’t go to the next race with a substantial job list of rectifications, rather items that will deliver more power and performance in Bahrain,” said Remi Taffin.

Marko, however, suggested Red Bull is taking the problem of its straight-line speed deficit into its own hands.

“We are trying everything possible to find more speed on the straights without affecting the corners,” he is quoted by German television Sky, “and I have to say that from this point of view we are progressing.”

Marko told Bild newspaper: “We are bringing a few new parts from our factory to Bahrain, and also Renault has yet another update for the engine software.”

Mercedes rivals fear that the gap will be hard to close

SNE22432_copy-640x424.jpg

Mercede’s Formula 1 rivals have acknowledged that the gap to the dominant championship leaders will not easily be overcome, in the aftermath of their one-two finish at Sepang.

Reports immediately after the race suggested that Red Bull are quickly catching up with the Silver Arrows in the development race, in the light o Sebastian Vettel finishing within striking distance of second-placed Nico Rosberg in Malaysia.

But Red Bull’s Christian Horner said after Sepang: “It’s a big gap. They have plenty up their sleeve.”

Ferrari’s Fernando Alonso, meanwhile, acknowledged the Italian team is not yet even in a position to beat the second force of 2014, Red Bull.

“For Bahrain we can’t expect any miracles, because we are practicing again in just five days and so no teams are going to make any sudden, giant steps,” said the Spaniard.

“Top speed is also important in Bahrain and so I expect Williams to be strong as well. I want to be in the top five again.

“We need to keep finishing as close as we can to the top, so that we can think about the championship later on if the car is more competitive,” Alonso is quoted by Speed Week.

As for McLaren, racing boss Eric Boullier was forthright when asked if the British team can close the gap to Mercedes for the start of the European season, when the first major development steps will be made.

“No,” he answered.

Is Boullier confident that the gap can be closed at all in 2014? “That’s the right question. Maybe by Europe next year, yes.”

Bahrain Grand Prix: Sauber preview weekend at Sakhir

JS23628-640x427.jpg

Directly after the race in Sepang, the Sauber F1 Team is travelling to the third round of the FIA Formula 1 World Championship taking place from the 4th to 6th April at the Bahrain International Circuit.

Test and reserve driver Giedo van der Garde will be called into action for the first time this season for FP1 on Friday. Regular driver Esteban Gutiérrez will take over from the second practice session on. Van der Garde will also be at the wheel of the C33 on day two of testing, which will take place from the 8th to 9th April in Bahrain. On day one Sergey Sirotkin will drive the car in order to fullfil the requirements for the super licence.

Esteban Gutiérrez (car number 21): “Bahrain is a track which we all know pretty well from testing. We have good references from there, and it will be very interesting to come back and to see what our improvements are in comparison to the first two races. The Bahrain International Circuit has a special track characteristic. Based on what we learnt from the first two races, I think we can make another step in terms of drivability. We made improvements on the braking and I believe we can push these even further. Everyone in our team and Ferrari are doing their best to get things done properly. My favorite part of the track is the last one with the fast corners. The left-hander which goes uphill is very interesting. Besides that, it will be a nice feeling to race for the first time in Bahrain at night. I do believe the track in Bahrain will also help us to have more stable tyre temperatures as the weather will be good.”

Adrian Sutil (car number 99): “This year Bahrain will host a night race, so it won’t be as hot, and the data collected during the pre-season tests will only be of limited significance, which makes it interesting. The tyres especially will behave differently, but we can go back to our data from the night race in Singapore. I am looking forward to the race weekend. Night races are always interesting and provide a great backdrop for the spectators. It is special to drive at night. I like the layout. The pit facilities are very modern with a lot of space. My favorite parts are the fast chicane in turns six and seven, as well as the fast section in the last sector. We have spent a lot of days testing at the Bahrain International Circuit, but driving there was always fun. I like being in Bahrain. It’s a small country, but it is interesting and has a lot of history.”

Giampaolo Dall’Ara, Head of Track Engineering: “We went testing in Bahrain twice before the start of the season and were not happy with the performance of the car, which had a lot to do with a lack of straightline speed and some issues under braking. However, since then, we have improved the car in different areas, particularly under braking. In addition, the performance in medium and high speed corners is quite good as well. However, we still have room for improvement in low speed corners, and the straightline speed is still an issue. Pirelli will provide the medium and the soft compounds, hence, the same tyres we had in Melbourne. I think this is a good choice for the Bahrain track, because it is more abrasive. We are constantly working on fine tuning all the systems with the goal to provide the drivers with a car which gives them the confidence to push it to the limits. In addition, we will continue our weight saving programme during the upcoming races.”