Refillable Nespresso capsules...

Hello folks!

Just wondering is there anybody here using refillable nespresso capsules and if so what are your thoughts?

I love the Nespresson coffee as I think it tastes fantastic and is of great quality, I still intend on ordering monthly supplies for me and the girlfriend.

I would however like to start ordering some gourmet coffees online and start experimenting with different roasts etc, I also want to start using some cuban coffee in the machine.

Can anybody reccomend some good websites for reliable refillable capsules or is it not worth the hassle?

Many thanks!

Hi CS,

I had a crack at this a while ago. i have a U model. Watched a couple of Youtube clips where you scoop out used pods, wash and clean and then fill with coffee of choice then cover tightly with small piece of foil. Found it only worked properly 50% of time. My favourite coffee in Australia is Illy coffee and would love a better way to use it with my Nespresso. Woolworthes has just released a range of compatible pods with come in at 40 cents a pod. Do me for know with the authentic range.

Hello folks!

Just wondering is there anybody here using refillable nespresso capsules and if so what are your thoughts?

I love the Nespresson coffee as I think it tastes fantastic and is of great quality, I still intend on ordering monthly supplies for me and the girlfriend.

I would however like to start ordering some gourmet coffees online and start experimenting with different roasts etc, I also want to start using some cuban coffee in the machine.

Can anybody reccomend some good websites for reliable refillable capsules or is it not worth the hassle?

Many thanks!

CS - Nice topic, I myself haven't experimented with refillable capsules, I tend to just buy the coffees I love. Those being

1) Kazaar

2) Arpeggio

Would be great to see if anyone has had any real success with refilling the capsules.

Lol this is weird...

Kazaar and arpeggio are also my favourite!

Have any of you guys seen this?

http://www.mycoffeestar.com/en/

Seems to be the strongest rated of all the refillable ones, the advantage being its made of machined stainless steel so more durable than many of the plastic ones on the market.

With the technology involved in the pressure system of the Nespresso machines, in addition to the high level of technology involved in the grind of coffee, packaging of coffee within the pod and the sealing of the pod = reusable pods, if you can get them to work consistently will not make a quality cup, which leaves the whole point of having the Nespresso machine pointless. I've tested it out, it was a huge disappointment. I should have known better than to apply a use for something that isn't supposed to be used in the machine in the first place.

I wouldn't bother!

To be honest, I wouldn't bother with refillable pods. There are plenty of compatible pods now available as the patent term has expired. You bought the pod machine for the convenience (well, I did back then) so why complicate things with fiddly refillables?

Oh, and Kazaar is my favourite too!

With the technology involved in the pressure system of the Nespresso machines, in addition to the high level of technology involved in the grind of coffee, packaging of coffee within the pod and the sealing of the pod = reusable pods, if you can get them to work consistently will not make a quality cup, which leaves the whole point of having the Nespresso machine pointless.

Thats what i am led to believe as well, i noticed that all the re usable pods dont create as good a crema as the official pods.

My understanding is this is pressure related

Correct. You need high pressure during extraction to get good crema. The grind and type of roast are also a factors.

Stick with the Nespresso pods, they've done all the work for you (correct grind for the bean and roast).

Hello folks!

Many thanks!

Correct. You need high pressure during extraction to get good crema. The grind and type of roast are also a factors.

Stick with the Nespresso pods, they've done all the work for you (correct grind for the bean and roast).

Agree fully with Fuzz, the quality and convenience and the range of Nespresso is second to none. Just topped up with another 15 tubes for Xmas and New Year.

Cohibasteve, if you want to try different roast of coffee beans take a look at Saeco machines, not cheap but they are excellent for home and you set the grind etc to suit your taste.

The roast and grind is proprietary to Nespresso and the specifics are kept secret. What also was explained to me is their proprietary packaging system (how the grinds get into the air sealed pod), and from what I was told, during the process from grind to in the pod, the coffee is never exposed to air, and then it is vacuum sealed inside the pod, having never been exposed to air. You can't duplicate that with a refillable, so why even mess with it. There is a reason why it tastes so much better than all of the other pod systems.

Reminds me I need to head down to the shop for some more!

I love a pot of French press coffee (I drink a lot of it) but nespresso is nice for a change.

When the first pod systems came out, like Keurig et al, folks tried to make their own pods to beat the system of buying expensive pods. It was hysterical seeing the energy and materials going into the mess. Then the refillable pods came out, making an equal mess with limited success. Being more active in the coffee biz at that time, we were as active on forums as I am here.

By the time you clean up the mess, figure out what works and buy different coffees so you don't drink the same one day in and day out, you lose money.

Like Dux, we just have regular coffee sometimes and mix it up a bit.

I had a pre-pod machine years ago. Too big and got to be too much work. Got a nespresso machine for the convenience of the pods and that it takes up very little counter space. I also have a Keurig machine. My wife bought the capsule that can be filled with your own grinds, we used it once or twice and now it sits in the junk drawer.

Never got into the pods

I couldnt justify the $300+ a Nespresso costs when a decent French Press cost $50

I prefer my plunger anyway.

If i get sick of French Press coffee I just go out and buy a cup from somewhere

That being said, I agree with whats been mentioned above

The idea of Pod machines is to make them easy and convienient so refilling pods sounds counter productive

Nespresso don't just drop some grounds in the pod and glue on a lid so I dont think you would get decent results from refilling pods either

If you want to try different styles of coffee and different roasts you're better off buying a proper expresso machine and using the Nespresso when you havent got time or cant be bothered with the proper machine

Well that just about answers my questions lol.

Goin to give it a miss and stick with kazaar and arpeggio.

Sunday mornings for me consist of: bolivar coronas junior, double shot of kazaar, the ipad to read the latest news. Bliss.

I have a Keurig, tho a bit different I will say I ONLY use the refillable pods. Easy to dump out the grounds and I find my coffee much better ( and less expensive ) than the pre- made pods. The pod is tough plastic with screen in the bottom, a slight squeeze and the used coffee drops out. There are aluminum pods but a b*tch to get the grounds out.