Upmann Half Corona

Cisco

I just finished an Upmann Half Corona and I have to say that once again I am left sorely disappointed. This is the 5th cigar from a LAR ABR 13 box stored at 65f/65%, and like the three before it (smoked over the past month), it was bitter and tannic. I really like the Upmann marca and routinely smoke the Corona Major and Regalias, both of which I find to be excellent C&Cs. BTW, the other cigars from my humidor are smoking just fine so I don't think it's storage.

Anyone else have an issue with the Upmann HC? Will these get better with time? I did enjoy my very first one and I'm wondering what happened. Perhaps a bad box or sick period? I was really wanting this cigar to perform well as it checks the boxes for a "winter smoke".

Any insight is appreciated.

I have smoked a bunch of these, and ALMOST all of them have been quite good in flavor, but more than half have had a very tight draw. If the draw were consistently good, I'd buy a lot more but for now, I'll stick with the couple of boxes I have left and see where things go.

Thanks for the responses.

I recall reading some opinions on 2013 cuban cigars and some were mentioning "green" flavours. That would describe my experience with this box. Perhaps they are under fermented? I can only speculate. I do recall really liking the first cigar...weird...I think I'll let them rest for now and try it again on a month or two. Perhaps I'll try one from a local B&M for comparison. I'll stick with Partagas Shorts and RASCC as my "winter smokes". Both seem to smoke well ROTT in 2013.

Stogieninja, you give me some hope that these will evolve into something better. I tried dryboxing the last cigar for a couple of days to no avail but, given your box is two months older, I'm hoping the variable here is time.

Cheers.

Thanks for the replies.

I have no doubt these can be good young, I guess I was wondering if this was a "box" issue or something common to the cigar's evolution. I really like the Upmann profile so I was surprised by my disappointment. I have little experience with these and, after so many good reviews, I was let down with the few I've have had from my box. I know the box is legit and my storage is good so it come down to the box itself.

Now, coming from the wine collecting world, I do understand that there is no such thing as good wine, only good bottles. The same can be said for cigars, and I guess I got a dud box. I am hoping that age will correct these cigars, but they are not harsh just bitter and green, and I am very tannin tolerant. "Green tannins" would be my best descriptor, and I thought this might be common to the 2013 "vintage" (While I have not experienced many 2013 cigars, most have been very good ROTT). I was hoping to get some insight into this, but it appears that most 2013 HCs are good, so it appears not to be a vintage characteristic.

I am not writing off this cigar and given all of the positive responses, it seems that my experience is an outlier (though, I have seen some pretty nasty reviews of these cigars as well). I will rest these some more and hope for the best.

Thanks again.

I picked some up from a B&M and they had dark wrappers and gave a strong chocolate and raisin flavour. SImilar to the Mag 48 i thought, jsut a little more fruity. I then bought a box and am currently smoking through it (will update box code later tonight) and the three that i have had have been true Upmann sticks. Cream and bread, with a bit of choclate sweetness in there as well. I'm really liking them!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I like them too, but what difference does that make? If you don't like them and you like the Corona Major (I like those too) then stick to them. They are about the same price, but with the CM you get more cigar and a tube to carry it around in. Better value imo.

I like them too, but what difference does that make? If you don't like them and you like the Corona Major (I like those too) then stick to them. They are about the same price, but with the CM you get more cigar and a tube to carry it around in. Better value imo.

I've actually come to the same conclusion. Though the HC format looks so appealing when short on time. The Canadian in me also does not want to waste half a cigar . :) You are right though. Thanks Shlomo.

I've actually come to the same conclusion. Though the HC format looks so appealing when short on time. The Canadian in me also does not want to waste half a cigar . smile.png You are right though. Thanks Shlomo.

Love the "Uncle Buck". Happy smoking bro

Not if you're buying in Australia. Thankfully, *****int is fortunate to have an international clientele. Without it, survival would be close to impossible.

Why? Whats the price difference between the 2 in Oz?

You have duty on top for OZ purchases so the smaller the cigar the smaller the duty bill on top of the normal price. Hence the half coronas which started the same price cost less in total.