Arturo Fuente Line

I've just smoked another one of my AF Best Sellers in Maduro. What an absolute stellar cigar, it's never the first cigar that I go for... But whenever I do reach for one it ALWAYS delivers, different flavours to the normal Cubans I smoke but always good and always consistent.

My question is this, for those of you who smoke the AF marcae, how does the Best Seller in Maduro compare to the rest of the line in flavour profile. Particularly interested in how it compares to the 898 in Maduro and the Anejo 48.

Sitting here smoking a anejo 77 as we speak. I have had the 48 and 46 they are both equally as enjoyable for me. Fresh are a whole different animal than aged versions. The 2013 vintage have a very in your face congnac and dark fruit aroma a little more feral than the aged ones. Aged a few years they are beautiful, complex smooth, sublime smokes. I know they have their fans and detractors but I think they are well worth it at msrp. The best seller and woam are also stellar and very enjoyable they have more of a maduro quality if that makes sense. No favorite either way just different. I started my cigar journey on maduros so get sentimental and these are some of the best examples of the style in my opinion. The opus x on the other hand, yuck unless they have around 5 years of age.

I really enjoy the AF Hemingway Short Story naturals. I have yet to buy the maduro. I just bought some AF Hem. around the world Maduro but have not tried them yet. I have always stayed away from maduro cigars as I found them to sweet but lately I am taking a shine to them. I have tried some other AF and find their lines enjoyable. I think when a company controls the process from seed to delivery it makes a difference. I know this is the case with Padron and I believe AF is the same.

I'm not a NC smoker, but if I were sentenced to integrate them to my habits, the Short Story and/or the Best Sellers would be in my rotation, in natural or sun grown, but not the maduro version.

For my taste the maduro wrapper overwhelms this (relatively) delicate sweetness that is very specific to the Fuente cigars…

I used to smoke Fuentes a lot more before I fell into the dark side. Now I rarely smoke NCs , but I still reach for the occasional NC and Fuente is top on that short list. Of the Fuentes I still enjoy, hemmingways, don Carlos, anejo 46, and the unnamed reserva from last Xmas.

I really enjoy the fuller bodied sungrown wrapper Fuentes. Short story, Work of art and Sungrown Chateau. Are they Cuban? No, but they have their own unique flavor profile and the construction is about as consistent as it gets.

If you are considering trying other Fuente maduros, I would recommend giving the AF Chateau Maduro a try. They can be had in the US for about $4 a stick and are a robusto/short robusto size. With a little down time, they are quite nice and represent a great value. Fuentes are the only NC sticks I continue to grab. I too like the Anejo 46 and 77, the SS and Work of Art Maduro and also I enjoy the Casa Fuente line. I just picked up some of the 2013 Unnamed Reserves and I am eager to give one a try soon!

In my opinion, a couple of good Fuentes you should try are Fuente Magnum Rosado Sungrown R52 (Robusto) and Fuente Don Carlos Robusto. Both either fresh or with a little age can be stellar. I shared an R52 with an uncle who smokes Nicaraguans and Cubans as he is in Nicaragua. He thought the R52 was a "very good cigar". For my likes, I find these flavorful and complex, with a good balance of some sweetness, spice, and strength. Solid medium smokes.