Young v Old(er) cigars

May be a stupid question. Until recently I only bought singles and these where almost always young pieces, JL2, Epi 2 being favourites. These are constantly referred to as smoking well young and I really enjoy them. Now with a wineador I can buy a little more and have picked up 2 cabs of JL 2 from 2010 I found duty free in India. Should I have bought younger? If I now buy cabs of Epi 2 again younger or older is better? I'm not looking to lay them down for years, I want to smoke them sooner rather than later.

Some cigars age better than others. As neither of those are favorites I can't give a specific comment EXCEPT that when buying older stock be aware of how they had been previously stored. And sometimes, an older cigar is just old, not necessarily better.

Only you can decide what's smoking well for you. Forget about the box dates. If you intermittently sample your cigars you get a feel for how well they smoke and how much you enjoy them. Aged cigars are great, but you don't have to abstain and wait for your boxes to get there. :)

I agree that sometimes old cigars are just OLD...try'm and smoke what you like! If they don't taste good to you just then, don't despair...leave them for a short while and try them again...rinse and repeat!

2009 to 2013 sticks in general have been excellent when young,whether this is good luck or good crop years does not matter.

Some places have older stock,but they cost more.You should seek out older sticks in singles so you can learn which marcas you like best and also learn what time does for a cigar.

When you smoke a 10 year old cuban,you will see what the potential is for a stick that age.

Keep in mind that not all years are the same quality wise,so plan to wait on some items until you find a box where all the variables are in your favor,cost/age/year/marca......

in my experience, a young cigar is very powerful, the flavours are strong, nothing subtle.......an aged cigar is more mellow with more complex flavours that meld together......also its been said age will do nothing if a cigar is bad young......this is really a trial and error to find out when a box is smoking well...... just keep smoking and buying, enjoy the jouney

Only you can decide what's smoking well for you. Forget about the box dates. If you intermittently sample your cigars you get a feel for how well they smoke and how much you enjoy them. Aged cigars are great, but you don't have to abstain and wait for your boxes to get there. :)

This is stated perfectly and explains one of the biggest hurdles I had when starting with Habanos. It's very easy to get caught up with aging stock and not smoking anything for x number of years. In reality that's just not necessary and sampling boxes over time is part of what makes this hobby so fun.

Some cigars age better than others. As neither of those are favorites I can't give a specific comment EXCEPT that when buying older stock be aware of how they had been previously stored. And sometimes, an older cigar is just old, not necessarily better.

Only you can decide what's smoking well for you. Forget about the box dates. If you intermittently sample your cigars you get a feel for how well they smoke and how much you enjoy them. Aged cigars are great, but you don't have to abstain and wait for your boxes to get there. smile.png

These two quotes have ooodles of wisdom contained in them. It would be my explanation to others as well. Great advice there.