mick jaguar

i didn't make up the name. some fantastic shots from nat geog! spectacular stuff. i remember seeing caiman on the banks of the rio colorado last year and was told they had jaguar in the region. mind you, the size of the caiman we saw might have been a bit of a problem for any jaguar.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2013/09/pictures/130906-caiman-jaguar-animals-science-photos-brazil-attack/?utm_source=NatGeocom&utm_medium=Email&utm_content=inside_20130919&utm_campaign=Content#/1-jaguar-kills-caiman_71388_600x450.jpg

Incredible. Jaguars are so beautiful, and terrifying at the same time

when i was over in costa rica, went to a wildlife park with some fantastic stuff - an amazing area with about 30 different species of hummingbirds flying around you; a frog habitat and a butterfly one, both you could enter. etc etc.

the cat area had pumas and jaguars. it brought it home to me how extraordinarily powerful the jaguar was. so much bigger and more impressive than the pumas. they looked like an overgrown house cat in comparison.

many years ago in africa, i remember i visited a village that had shot a leopard overnight. it had taken some kids. it was strung up a bit like a crucifix. standing next to it, you could see the incredible muscles it had, especially legs and neck. and the size of those teeth. tarzan would never have stood a chance.

i remember one very old lady who was shaking in fear, even though was dead. she would get back about 30 yards, run in wielding a stick and screaming at it. but when she got within ten yards, she'd dissolve in terror, fling the stick and run off into the bush yelling and screaming. did it about five times. never got near to the leopard.

the other curious thing i recall from the trip was that one of the girls bought a small wooden lion in a market. we'd tied it to the side of the truck. it has some scungy fur glued to it but was only about two foot long. in a lot of the villages we drove through, we could not understand the terror. finally worked it out. the african villagers knew what a lion looked like and they knew they had to be terrified of them (and they were) but they had no idea of the size. they thought we had a real lion tied to the truck. it seems crazy but not when you think about it.

when i was over in costa rica, went to a wildlife park with some fantastic stuff - an amazing area with about 30 different species of hummingbirds flying around you; a frog habitat and a butterfly one, both you could enter. etc etc.

the cat area had pumas and jaguars. it brought it home to me how extraordinarily powerful the jaguar was. so much bigger and more impressive than the pumas. they looked like an overgrown house cat in comparison.

many years ago in africa, i remember i visited a village that had shot a leopard overnight. it had taken some kids. it was strung up a bit like a crucifix. standing next to it, you could see the incredible muscles it had, especially legs and neck. and the size of those teeth. tarzan would never have stood a chance.

i remember one very old lady who was shaking in fear, even though was dead. she would get back about 30 yards, run in wielding a stick and screaming at it. but when she got within ten yards, she'd dissolve in terror, fling the stick and run off into the bush yelling and screaming. did it about five times. never got near to the leopard.

the other curious thing i recall from the trip was that one of the girls bought a small wooden lion in a market. we'd tied it to the side of the truck. it has some scungy fur glued to it but was only about two foot long. in a lot of the villages we drove through, we could not understand the terror. finally worked it out. the african villagers knew what a lion looked like and they knew they had to be terrified of them (and they were) but they had no idea of the size. they thought we had a real lion tied to the truck. it seems crazy but not when you think about it.

Both Leopards and Jaguars are extremely powerful cats, with the Jaguar being the strongest cat pound for pound. In fact they are even stronger than they look as they have far greater muscle density than we humans. Tigers, one of my favourite cats, vary greatly in size depending on the sub-species Tigers in Assam India are extremely big some males weighing 300kg!

Both Leopards and Jaguars are extremely powerful cats, with the Jaguar being the strongest cat pound for pound. In fact they are even stronger than they look as they have far greater muscle density than we humans. Tigers, one of my favourite cats, vary greatly in size depending on the sub-species Tigers in Assam India are extremely big some males weighing 300kg!

extraordinary creatures.

i always thought the amur tigers the biggest?

extraordinary creatures.

Correct. The Amur or Siberian Tiger is the largest of the sub-species. Though the Liger is the largest of the big cats.

extraordinary creatures.

Yes the Amur tiger was/is the biggest but their size has been dropping over the years due to lack of habitat. Bengal Tigers from northern India and Nepal are now on average bigger.