What tobacco/blend separates different Vitolas, Regionals and Limited Edićions?

Im just trying to learn here so excuse my ignornance. They are a different Vitola....but specifically what else makes them.

Say an MC Edmundo or #2 vs the 12 MC 520. I know the MC ELs seem to use a darker wrapper and a unique blend so its limited. But I'm trying to learn what and how do they choose what tabbaco is used? From specific plants? Or part of the plant.

My question even goes for regular production. Say the Partagas D4 vs P2 or the MC Edmundo vs #2 and so on....

If you're picking from a plant how do they get consistency for a cigar year after year? crop after crop? And create seperate flavors?

Again just trying to learn..maybe someone can recommend a book or somewhere to learn more.

Essentially every cigar is different, blended by using different leaves from different parts of the plant from different plants from different places on the island. If a cigar is from the same marca eg montecristo then they will all be blended to share similar flavours.

Eg monte 1,2,3,4,5 will all be different but similar blends. ELs are generally similar to their marca too but a lot of the time are more a 'in the spirit of' cigar. REs are generally a lot closer to the typical flavours in a marca than ELs

While I must admit I haven't bought any in a few years, to my taste ELs taste more like each other than their particular brand. As for REs, I've bought many Ramon Allones & they are all over the place. The Super Ramons are super strong, the Estupendos much milder. Celestial finos a box of chocolates- some very strong, some medium & some quite mild.

I suggest you get the booklet "Cultivating a Tradition of Perfection" published by Habanos SA, to learn the basics.

Agreed. A great book. It's actually available separately, or as an included booklet in the "Complete Guide to Habanos" binder by H S.A. from 2008 or so.

Agreed. A great book. It's actually available separately, or as an included booklet in the "Complete Guide to Habanos" binder by H S.A. from 2008 or so.

Just ordered, haven't seen this one before - thanks for the suggestion!