suspect cigar bands

david8017

I purchased a box of (10) Partagas P #2 from a vendor in Canada. Everything looks legit except that every one of the cigar bands have a smudge where the band is glued together. Has anyone else seen this before? What are your thoughts?

post-17232-0-82856600-1375623332_thumb.j

If the picture's out of focus, please take another that is clear and then post that one. Being able to see the details you're talking about will help us help you.

I believe what you have is a cocaine cigar. The Cuban government has been reported to smuggle cocaine via paste and glue used in the closure of cigar bands. The most common marcas for this smuggling are, unsurprisingly, Cohiba and Partagas. Large ring cigars and regional and Edicion's Limitada are also very useful for this as they have sometimes one or even two accessory bands.

Wilkey

Cocaine cigars huh? I will lick the bands and let you know..lol. I took a little clearer pick of the band. You can see the smudge fairly easily in the pic. Also, do the length variations look okay?

post-17232-0-66622800-1375626237_thumb.j

post-17232-0-93285200-1375626252_thumb.j

You all expect waaaaayyyy too much out of Cuban QC

How true! Glue smudges including nearly complete finger print impressions are not rare.

The length variation is probably on the long side of relatively normal.

Wilkey

Bands are one of the easiest things to copy these days and with software being so easy to use esp. with Photoshop you can make your own bands and make them look like an Opus band practically speaking. The real deal is knowing your cigars and how they taste is the overall way to ensure that they are real. Fakes are all over the world and the industry tries to keep pace but it's one of those things that it's one step forward two steps back. If anybody is wanting to purchase CC's but are not that keen about them as far as taste it's a wise thing to let one of the veteran members walk you thru it so you don't get stung by counterfeiters.