Freezing sticks for 2 weeks

Hey folks,

Just a quick question: I'm off to cyprus tomorrow morning and I would just like to know if freezing my small cigar collections (roughly 40 sticks) is going to be a safe thing to do. The freezer is just your regular household freezer and they will be in there for 2 weeks before i can get back to rescue them.

I have been noticing increasing amounts of mold and beetles as the summer reaches its peak here in the UK and don't feel leaving them unattended for 2 weeks would be wise.

Cheers,

Stephen

I have been noticing increasing amounts of mold and beetles as the summer reaches its peak here in the UK

err… where have you been "noticing increasing amounts of mold and beetles"? In your humidor? btw, you get rid of mold by brushing and airing your cigars, not by freezing them…

err… where have you been "noticing increasing amounts of mold and beetles"? In your humidor? btw, you get rid of mold by brushing and airing your cigars, not by freezing them…

Yes inside the humidor, I plan on upgrading the humidifier once i return. Indeed, I went through each cigar individually earlier today with a cloth and removed all mold and visible beetle larvae.

I was really just concerned that 2 weeks of freezing might damage the cigars as most people seem to say 72 hours is enough.

If you've no option but to leave them in the freezer for this long, please make sure you use a CryoVac-type multilayer bag. I would also wrap it in multiple layers of foil to try and eliminate dessication or drying out.

Wilkey

Yes inside the humidor, I plan on upgrading the humidifier once i return. Indeed, I went through each cigar individually earlier today with a cloth and removed all mold and visible beetle larvae.

If you had "visible beetle larvae" on your cigars these cigars would already been damaged and should be destroyed!

Search and read other threads about beetles, before becoming paranoid on the matter… lookaround.gif

If you've no option but to leave them in the freezer for this long, please make sure you use a CryoVac-type multilayer bag. I would also wrap it in multiple layers of foil to try and eliminate dessication or drying out.

Wilkey

Another vote for this suggestion.

It sounds like there is something already wrong with your set up, you might need to have a look at it. If you store your cigars correctly you really shouldn't be seeing any sign's of mold and certainly any signs of beetles.

Whilst i'm not a fan of freezing cigars, in your case it sounds as if that's your only option left to save them, as the signs of beetles are already there.

Hope you get it sorted!