Old Boy

Wang

Just noticed that the new Old Boy remake trailer has come out.

Looks like Spike Lee is sticking with more or less the same story and feel of the Korean version. For those who watched the original what are your thoughts?

Are you guys for real?

You do know that old boy is an adaptation of a manga? Anybody should be allowed to interpret the original work in any way they please as long as they have permission.

And a seriously good cast and directed by spike lee?

I will most certainly be watching this.

Are you guys for real?

You do know that old boy is an adaptation of a manga? Anybody should be allowed to interpret the original work in any way they please as long as they have permission.

And a seriously good cast and directed by spike lee?

I will most certainly be watching this.

Yes we're real.

The original is a top quality film, violent, sensitive, brilliant.

The thing is, Hollywood will be remaking the original film, not the Manga comic...

Hollywood has a track record of producing crap remakes of good originals. This will be one of them.

I know nothing about the new version, but the Korean original is fantastic. Hard to imagine improving it. One would hope they don't stupify it, but I won't hold my breath waiting for anything groundbreaking.

The thing is, the vast bulk of the audience of the remake would never consider seeing a film that wasn't in English anyway, so few will have anything to compare it to.

I know nothing about the new version, but the Korean original is fantastic. Hard to imagine improving it. One would hope they don't stupify it, but I won't hold my breath waiting for anything groundbreaking.

The thing is, the vast bulk of the audience of the remake would never consider seeing a film that wasn't in English anyway, so few will have anything to compare it to.

I agree to this, but who know what the movie will turn out like, Scorsese got his first Academy Award for best director off of a remake of Infernal Affairs (The Departed) and although I love the original trilogy, the remake was no slouch either.

So although I'm absolutely NOT looking forward to this movie being remade, I don't want to assume it's going to be sh*t.

But early signs do point to that direction.....

And the copy comment was about the blatant attempt to mimic the camera angles and so on from the original, though the trailer shows a complete lack of the depth and grit of the original, frankly it looked wooden and almost comedic in comparison. Just imo of course.

Nobody said anything about "allowed". Sometimes there are great films that don't need to be redone imo.

For instance I would never want to see a remake of Goodfellas...with permission or without...

But your post previous to the above more or less agrees that even if a remake where to happen, we should automatically assume it to be poor. That's wrong.

And where have any of you guys read that spike lee is remaking the original Korean movie?

What happened to the days when films could be released and we judged them on their own merit? Simple as that.

I loved tim burtons batman when it came out when I was a very young child, to this day it remains one of my favourite films. when I heard chris Nolan was taking a stab at it I didn't hate it right away... I watched the damn thing first.

And I loved it.

Not only that, spike lee has made some of the most culturally significant films in the last 20 years, not to mention some of his more personal works have been outstanding (25th hour with ed norton and Philip Seymour Hoffman was utterly fantastic), but this upcoming ADAPTATION has an extremely accomplished cast.

Josh Brolin, Samuel l Jackson and Scharlto Copley?

Hell yeah I will watch that.

I really enjoyed the Korean one... And I do look forward to this remake! I think it will work out great. Can't wait!

Hope it's as good of an American remake as the girl with the dragon tattoo was from the Swedish one.

Stevie, no reason to get super defensive bro. Its human nature to make quick assumptions that occasionally turn out to be wrong.

Some things are perfect or almost so the way they are, others can use a tweaking. Would any film fan really want to see Casablanca remade with George Clooney and Anne Hathaway? Maybe some...just not me. My OPINION.

Fair enough mate, and again I'm all for people expressing their opinions. But my opinion is i don't agree with people saying that old boy should never be remade because the original was so 'perfect'

The number of films that have been released in the last 30 years that are actually remakes would probably surprise you.

I loved the original, one of my favourite films of all time. But I don't take it too seriously... So I personally welcome a remake.

I'm not trying to rub people up the wrong way, I'm crazy about film and love to discuss and express my opinions.

Thanks

Yes we're real.

The original is a top quality film, violent, sensitive, brilliant.

+1 I love the original!!

Hollywood has a track record of producing crap remakes of good originals. This will be one of them.

Just look at what they did with the remake of "Infernal affairs" and remaking it into "The Departed".

I didn't mind the Departed, it wasn't a complete write off BUT nothing beats the original. Why remake something that isn't broken?

The original is one of my favourite films. Great story. As for the remake, I thought the reason would be obvious, there are a lot of people out there who would definitely pay to see this film but won't pay to read subtitles.

• 1 month later...

A friend is a stunt double in this. I am sorry I saw the original. I hate to think how brutal this will be.