Well done you Aussies

Good test match and despite missing a few knock-ons (both ways) a good refing performance too, overall 1-1 seems fair you guys would be 6-4 on in my book to take the series...

what a game, I laughed,I crIed and sent many texts to persons of an EnglIsh persauIon and now I'm hoarse shoutIng at the TV. And now onto the Tour de France.

I for one, am very dissapointed in the lack of imagination in the backline play of the Lions. I know thats the style of the northern hemisphere, but that pitch was an absolute belter. The Wallabies are weak down the left hand side and they didnt expose it. On a plus, how good was it to see a reliable kicker in a gold jersey.

I for one, am very dissapointed in the lack of imagination in the backline play of the Lions. I know thats the style of the northern hemisphere, but that pitch was an absolute belter. The Wallabies are weak down the left hand side and they didnt expose it. On a plus, how good was it to see a reliable kicker in a gold jersey.

Can understand that, I think most people are but all I would say is that I feel the back play is based around going forward then wide and without Roberts to almost always get over the gain line it is harder for them to do that...

What an entertaining game!!

Yes Dicko it was a pearler

Very tense game - lots of dropped ball and turnovers from both sides.

Lions defence was fantastic until last 5 mins. Warburton had an absolute blinder of a game.

The teams are (obviously) very evenly matched.

Lions need a new loose head prop and I would bring back Phillips and Cuthbert.

For Wallabies - O'Connor had a shocker - dropped so much ball - stood way too deep in attack.

I dont think Beale passed the ball once.

However somehow they got there. Was nice to see Horwill take the scrum in the last 10 mins rather than the goal. Nice in that no Australian captain in the last 10 years has had a scrum where they have been able to reasonably expect that they would retain possession. So things are looking up there.

It has been raining in Sydney for the past 3 weeks - everything is absolutely sodden. Supposed to be sunny this week so the ground might dry out a little but expect it to be soft under foot which you would imagine would better suit the Lions.

Very close.

I just cannot see much improvement in the Lions with the personnel they had on Sat - whereas I think the aussie back line has significant improvement in it.

Almost too close to call but I am going to go with wallabies - they now have the momentum and self belief.

Can understand that, I think most people are but all I would say is that I feel the back play is based around going forward then wide and without Roberts to almost always get over the gain line it is harder for them to do that...

Agree with both of you, the Lions never looked like they were going to risk it wide, a fingerless hand could count how many times BOD North or Cuthbert got given the ball... if they don't think Davies or BOD can break the line, why not bring on Tuilagi with 30 to go?

To be fair neither team played their backs into the game until Aus fell 6 points behind with the clock ticking and HAD to run it. Had it been the other way around the Lions might have tried to build more... but because Aus kept at it and succeeded they deserved the win.

I think the key to the Lions running it will be Roberts' return and/or falling behind on the scoreboard (the likes of Tuilagi and Faletau coming off the bench might help). They constructed the Cuthbert try in the first test so they know that they are capable of it...

Warburton probably won't be there (in stellar form!) to get all those turnover penalties for them so they'll need to run it...

I just cannot see much improvement in the Lions with the personnel they had on Sat - whereas I think the aussie back line has significant improvement in it.

Definitely... JOC, who doesnt quite play like a 1st5, looked a little better than last week so anything is possible! The AAC shortball off JOC to score the try, despite the circumstances (backpedalling lions defence), is exactly what they need to replicate to make use of JOC's narrow strengths. And if he could accidentally deliver a wide ball in the process, well.. they'd be on fire.

However the Lions might realise that they have to actually Use their backline this week again like they did in the 1st test. And with the likes of Phillips and Roberts possibly on the team sheet they could have a few more linebreakers.

Now if George Smith is deemed fit this week and Warburton injured, Smith could do a Warburton on the Lions and turn the game...

Warburton probably won't be there (in stellar form!) to get all those turnover penalties for them so they'll need to run it...

And thank goodness they seem incapable of running it. Even with so many Welsh in the team, it hasn't happened enough. In saying that, I reckon this last game is going to be old school rugby and awesome.

Very tense game - lots of dropped ball and turnovers from both sides.

Lions defence was fantastic until last 5 mins. Warburton had an absolute blinder of a game.

The teams are (obviously) very evenly matched.

Lions need a new loose head prop and I would bring back Phillips and Cuthbert.

For Wallabies - O'Connor had a shocker - dropped so much ball - stood way too deep in attack.

I dont think Beale passed the ball once.

However somehow they got there. Was nice to see Horwill take the scrum in the last 10 mins rather than the goal. Nice in that no Australian captain in the last 10 years has had a scrum where they have been able to reasonably expect that they would retain possession. So things are looking up there.

It has been raining in Sydney for the past 3 weeks - everything is absolutely sodden. Supposed to be sunny this week so the ground might dry out a little but expect it to be soft under foot which you would imagine would better suit the Lions.

Very close.

Almost too close to call but I am going to go with wallabies - they now have the momentum and self belief.

pretty much agree with all that. my belief was that we always had the talent but where it could be put together was another thing entirely. despite deans, we are now close. a five eight who has had two bog ordinary games. yet he'll be there again because defying your team and mates and going out to 4am just before the biggeest game of your career is way less damaging than calling the team atmosphere toxic no matter how often you apologise. had we had cooper, i have absolutely no doubt that we'd be 2-0 and the thing would be over.

interesting to see a series where you have two tests that so easily could have gone the other way and you could hardly complain if that happened.

Definitely... JOC, who doesnt quite play like a 1st5, looked a little better than last week so anything is possible! The AAC shortball off JOC to score the try, despite the circumstances (backpedalling lions defence), is exactly what they need to replicate to make use of JOC's narrow strengths. And if he could accidentally deliver a wide ball in the process, well.. they'd be on fire.

However the Lions might realise that they have to actually Use their backline this week again like they did in the 1st test. And with the likes of Phillips and Roberts possibly on the team sheet they could have a few more linebreakers.

Now if George Smith is deemed fit this week and Warburton injured, Smith could do a Warburton on the Lions and turn the game...

agree re o'connor. at in centre, a little wider, with him running on or having the extra space for passes like that, he could be deadly. every day, i find new reasons to hate deans.

and my understanding is that smith was fit for the last one. deans just would not pick him. unless he gets pressure from on high or he squibs his own internal bitterness for the sake of the team, i don't see him there again.

after all, gill is the new plank after that late lineout steal.

Gill has to start - Hooper just doesn't have that presence - probably needs to grow a foot taller (Gill) or wider (Phil Waugh). Smith would be good but dont see it happening with this coach.

Thought it was very instructive to watch Genia's reaction to JOC kicking the ball out on the full when taken back into the 22 in the dying minutes. There was no 'keep your head up' stuff. Basically wrote him off - the last of too many mistakes in a huge game and before a huge game. Obviously doesn't rate him at all (well as a 5/8 at least) and Genia is a champion who would know him better than most.

This was a comment on rugby heaven:

SO someone stood at no.10 for JOC in defense, this was a reason given for no Cooper.

JOC spilled the ball...again reason for no Cooper.

Yes JOC kicked two good kicks..something Cooper can do.

So Dingo with the series on the line, are you going to play Cooper as the Lions smothered JOC at 10.

Or is stubbornness again going to be your game plan?

Gill has to start - Hooper just doesn't have that presence - probably needs to grow a foot taller (Gill) or wider (Phil Waugh). Smith would be good but dont see it happening with this coach.

Thought it was very instructive to watch Genia's reaction to JOC kicking the ball out on the full when taken back into the 22 in the dying minutes. There was no 'keep your head up' stuff. Basically wrote him off - the last of too many mistakes in a huge game and before a huge game. Obviously doesn't rate him at all (well as a 5/8 at least) and Genia is a champion who would know him better than most.

This was a comment on rugby heaven:

SO someone stood at no.10 for JOC in defense, this was a reason given for no Cooper.

JOC spilled the ball...again reason for no Cooper.

Yes JOC kicked two good kicks..something Cooper can do.

So Dingo with the series on the line, are you going to play Cooper as the Lions smothered JOC at 10.

Or is stubbornness again going to be your game plan?

Read more: http://www.smh.com.a...l#ixzz2XkRTq8JX

he is a monumental hypocrite. if we win this series, it will be in spite of, not because of deans.

this morning he was all talk about building combinations and it taking time. if i could have reached through the internet and choked him, i would have. genia made it clear that he had a great combination with cooper built up over years. they have trust. he made it clear he did not have that with anyone else. deans ignored that. now it is about building combinations.

clearly genia does not have faith in o'connor.

it was never about cooper defending at the back as so many others do it. unless deans really is so incredibly hopeless that he doesn't see it. clive did it with jonny. so another lie.

yes, that kick at such a crucial moment showed how far o'bieber was out of his depth.

and for deans to do a press conference after the game with beale and o'connor? my god, i nearly vomited it. you are either deans' best buddy and in. or you are not and you are gone.

a dishonest, monumental, incompetent hypocrite.

i think you however you look at it you are describing George Smith wink.png

warburton showed how its done. Gill and Hooper are like Sam Cane - very useful in fast and loose stuff (like two thirds of the super rugby games) - but not so much of an impact in attritional test level style rugby with unforgiving defences and big back row opponents. With time they might gain the nous or strength to make an impact ... but Smith i thought has shown all of these qualities since his return from Japan. Hooper's joker is his speed as a ball carrier and that is his entry card, much like O'Brien for the Lions - Mowen, Palu, Lydiate et al. don't have that. George Smith, while not lightning quick, is actually a bit evasive as a runner as well, both teams' back rows could do with some of that ...

Smith off the bench on saturday...?? Maybe even for Palu with Mowen going to 8? or just start him!!!

i think you however you look at it you are describing George Smith wink.png

warburton showed how its done. Gill and Hooper are like Sam Cane - very useful in fast and loose stuff (like two thirds of the super rugby games) - but not so much of an impact in attritional test level style rugby with unforgiving defences and big back row opponents. With time they might gain the nous or strength to make an impact ... but Smith i thought has shown all of these qualities since his return from Japan. Hooper's joker is his speed as a ball carrier and that is his entry card, much like O'Brien for the Lions - Mowen, Palu, Lydiate et al. don't have that. George Smith, while not lightning quick, is actually a bit evasive as a runner as well, both teams' back rows could do with some of that ...

Smith off the bench on saturday...?? Maybe even for Palu with Mowen going to 8? or just start him!!!

no argument with including smith (always been a massive fan) - dump palu. my back row would be 6 - smith, 7 - gill and 8 mowen. mowen played well enough to keep his spot. one of our best last weekend. smith is one of the greats and still playing more than well enough. provides all sorts of options. hooper on the bench for late impact with his energy and speed, but he does miss tackles and give away penalties and nowhere near as effect as gill in turnovers. also, gill, despite stature, gets used in lineouts (near the back end), more than any of them, bar mowen, of course.

gill is still a kid. you can throw the quote back in my face in a decade but i think by then we'll be looking at someone who is rated, if not better, then at least as highly as smith and mccaw, injuries permitting. and hopefully by then he'll have been wallaby captain for quite a few years.

Thought it was very instructive to watch Genia's reaction to JOC kicking the ball out on the full when taken back into the 22 in the dying minutes.

Yes indeed. The failed clearance (exactly the type of thing QC is known for) gets JOC the lip. To be fair even though JOC is a little twerp nobody should get that from a team mate for a mistake. Genia needs to shut his trap and save it for the midweek review, or go to soccer where teammates moan and whinge at each other every game. Nobody shouted at him when he kicked it out on the full in the first test. Bloody halfbacks.

Yes indeed. The failed clearance (exactly the type of thing QC is known for) gets JOC the lip. To be fair even though JOC is a little twerp nobody should get that from a team mate for a mistake. Genia needs to shut his trap and save it for the midweek review, or go to soccer where teammates moan and whinge at each other every game. Nobody shouted at him when he kicked it out on the full in the first test. Bloody halfbacks.

fair enough but had o'connor not been out at 4am a few days earlier, he might have had more solid ground. don't blame genia when his teammates treat the game with such contempt.