What do the rollers smoke?

In videos of Cuban Cigar factories you often see rollers sitting at their stations smoking cigars.

It led me to wondering what they smoke whil they are working.

Are they just taking a cigar from the pile they've rolled or is there a factory blend that most of the staff make themselves and then smoke during they day?

I watched a doco about cigars years ago where a roller commented that he was permited to smoke as many cigars as he liked during the day and then was allowed to take 3 home at the end of his day and those 3 didnt come off his totals for the day

I'm not sure i thats how it works with HSA but I got a chucke out of the thought that there could be rollers in Cuba smoking BHKs all day long

Well I know that Hamlets favorite cigar is the Partagas Lusitania BUt he also likes the BHK's alot

I thought he also enjoyed the Cuaba Salomones...which always gave me comfort.

Dunno what the rollers rules are..but I do know how rules are regarded in Cuba!

The handful of torcedors I've seen, including Hamlet, have always been smoking what they roll.

Commercially rolled Cuban cigars, once they get banded and boxed, are very expensive, particularly for Cubans.

The lady I met at an event in the Middle East from Partagas factory said at the time she enjoyed a Montecristo 520 once or twice a week (her favourite at the moment) but usually smoked monte 2s (I think, my Spanish isn't awesome). She rolled me some fantastic fresh rolled and even let me hold the leaf and smell it before she rolled them.

The lady I met at an event in the Middle East from Partagas factory said at the time she enjoyed a Montecristo 520 once or twice a week (her favourite at the moment) but usually smoked monte 2s (I think, my Spanish isn't awesome). She rolled me some fantastic fresh rolled and even let me hold the leaf and smell it before she rolled them.

Great, aren't they? I could watch a good torcedor all day long.

In videos of Cuban Cigar factories you often see rollers sitting at their stations smoking cigars.

It led me to wondering what they smoke whil they are working.

Are they just taking a cigar from the pile they've rolled or is there a factory blend that most of the staff make themselves and then smoke during they day?

I watched a doco about cigars years ago where a roller commented that he was permited to smoke as many cigars as he liked during the day and then was allowed to take 3 home at the end of his day and those 3 didnt come off his totals for the day

I'm not sure i thats how it works with HSA but I got a chucke out of the thought that there could be rollers in Cuba smoking BHKs all day long

The handful of torcedors I've seen, including Hamlet, have always been smoking what they roll.

Commercially rolled Cuban cigars, once they get banded and boxed, are very expensive, particularly for Cubans.

Correct. Generally, smoking what they themselves roll. But I believe the take-home limit is and has been only 2-a-day.

Culebra

Myth, even if posted by cigar retailers as fact. I researched it once, and found that it came about from the theory that thinner cigars age better when tightly bundled... which started in the Phillipines, not Cuba.

they smoke what they want to smoke. most of the time, it is what they are rolling at the time in the factory. Some roll a vitola that they enjoy, others smoke the vitola they are rolling for the day. As long as the quota for the day is hit per roller, it doesn't really matter.

No real rhyme or reason.

In terms of LCDH rollers, again, they roll the vitola/blend that they want. Not really restricted.

Never seen a roller smoke a culebra in a CC factory. Maybe some and I just didn't notice.

Gurkhas??

While not Gurkhas, I've brought other NC samplers for some friends in the past, for them to sample and maybe enjoy, and they love it - they enjoy seeing what else is out there, outside of Cuban cigars, to see how their tobacco is stacking up.

While not Gurkhas, I've brought other NC samplers for some friends in the past, for them to sample and maybe enjoy, and they love it - they enjoy seeing what else is out there, outside of Cuban cigars, to see how their tobacco is stacking up.

Would they say which they prefer? I know it's a bit difficult to answer with nationalistic pride at stake.

While on this topic do they have humidors or they just smoke fresh cigars?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Would they say which they prefer? I know it's a bit difficult to answer with nationalistic pride at stake.

While on this topic do they have humidors or they just smoke fresh cigars?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

LOL. They always say they prefer a Habanos! It's in their blood!

But, there's always a keen interest by them, and they do enjoy the different and unique taste, as they taste the "terroir" from another country's cigars.

And, regarding the humidors...

Nino, Rob, or Art may better be able to answer that one. I've never actually been to any rollers/blenders/retailers/etc. personal houses. I haven't seen what they store their personal cigars in at home. But, the retailers that I know of have a special spot for their own stuff at the shops, in the humidor cabinets. But aside from there, at home? No idea. And, most are just straight freshies from off the table too, so no dire need to humidify.

Havana is it's own natural humidor!!!

LOL. They always say they prefer a Habanos! It's in their blood!

But, there's always a keen interest by them, and they do enjoy the different and unique taste, as they taste the "terroir" from another country's cigars.

And, regarding the humidors...

Nino, Rob, or Art may better be able to answer that one. I've never actually been to any rollers/blenders/retailers/etc. personal houses. I haven't seen what they store their personal cigars in at home. But, the retailers that I know of have a special spot for their own stuff at the shops, in the humidor cabinets. But aside from there, at home? No idea. And, most are just straight freshies from off the table too, so no dire need to humidify.

Havana is it's own natural humidor!!!

I'm quite curious over this topic too. How does Cubans keep their cigars? Speaking from a summer all year round malaysia. Would really like to find out. Thanks!

I remember when I spoke to Hamlet about what cigars he likes smoking. He said that the party lusi were the ones he liked. Obviously they won't be the cigar he'd be smoking while rolling but nice to know an insider would smoke

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2