Humidor Cabinet.

rkd

I cant decide if I want to go with a wineador or a nice looking cabinet to show off my future collection. I also have a few questions if I go the cabinet route. What do you FOH think about this cabinet for a possible humidor setup and will I have to line the whole inside with Spanish cedar? The dimensions are 60" tall body is 20.5" wide depth is post-16826-0-76652600-1367438107_thumb.j13''.

Yes, you'll have to line the whole interior with Spanish cedar (edit - unless that this is already made of cedar or mahogany, but it's likely just pine or a mild hardwood). You should also look at a sealing layer in between the cedar and the other wood.

Check out some older threads on cabinet conversion in this Humidor Tutorial sub-forum. I did one, and there are several others who did so also.

The person selling the cabinet said it not pine or veneer but did say its a hard wood just not sure what kind. Is it preference or is the wineador or cabinet better then the other?

I would say this is much nicer looking than a wineador and you will have more space as well. The functionality is close to the same and remember with the wineador you will have to do something about shelves with this you already have them.

I agree with shlomo ( shocking as it may seem) just kidding. You don't need the Spanish cedar if your storing in boxes. If you want it of course go ahead as it can't hurt.

If these were my choices I would go with the cabinet you pictured as it can go in about any room in the house and look like it belongs.

CanuckSARTech. Great write up on your cabinet build. I'm gonna go with the cabinet build and line the whole box with Spanish cedar. I will post pictures when I start this project. Thank you for all your input.

Very nice unit. I agree on the Spanish cedar. If it's in boxes no need to line it unless the interior wood cannot withstand humidity. because if it starts to warp, well, you just can't undo that and the unit's overall integrity is lost.

Make ANOTHER cabinet...............one for cigars, and the other for wine. Great cabinets like this one should always come-in-twos.

Great Job..........add some Walnut or Pecan Stain, and you'll have a MASTERPIECE!!! cigar.gif

I used marine grade mahogany ply instead of Spanish cedar because it costs less, easier to get, and is way easier to work with. Very cool piece.

I used marine grade mahogany ply instead of Spanish cedar because it costs less, easier to get, and is way easier to work with. Very cool piece.

Sounds interesting. Does it have a strong aroma? Or any at all?

These are wise words. A few friends of mine who have built walk ins used marine grade mahogany. Perfect temp and humidity all year round and zero warping.

Please be careful on your wood. I recall some woods exchange poisonous gas. Make sure your wood is kiln dried.

Many have used Luan plywood as an odor neutral and cost effective alternative.

...I agree on the Spanish cedar. If it's in boxes no need to line it unless the interior wood cannot withstand humidity. because if it starts to warp, well, you just can't undo that and the unit's overall integrity is lost.

Well said here by Frank. Also, like others have said, the marine mahogany is great advice too. Teak is another nice option as well, if you want.

All this said - it's your project. Do as you see fit, and/or you desire and can afford.

I disagree with others that say you do not need to add cedar, with a caveat. Is it absolutely needed? No. But that depends on a lot of things - if your cigars are stored in their boxes, if you're going to have a singles area, what the cabinet material is already made of, if it's painted and/or stained, if there's any interior odours/chemicals, what the seal is like on the cabinet itself already, what the door seal is like, what kind of humidification means you're going to put in there.

If it's made out of hardwood, while that's good and definitely better than pine or other softwoods, it's still not perfect. Is it maple, poplar, ash, beech, etc., etc.? Either way, the thing to keep in mind is that with most woods, nearly all, depending on how that current cabinet was made, the wood may not withstand the high-humidity environment for decades and decades. You may get swelling, warping, cracking over time, if it's not lined and sealed correctly.

Now, all that said, I agree that the marine-grade mahogany ply may work best for you with this. It's a thinner medium to use to line that (compared to a sealing layer and then unfinished spanish cedar), and your construction will be easier, and your overall cost will be less. It should also ensure that it lasts for a very long time.

Either way, whatever you choose, enjoy the project. It's a very unique and nice looking cabinet, and is definitely sure to be a nice showpiece in your home once it's completed for your cigars.

The cabinet didn't end up looking like the picture so I had to pass. I did come across a deal I couldn't pass up. Here is a picture of my new humidor. It probably cost a little bit more then a wine cooler would have cost with drawers and beads.post-16826-0-39128300-1368156485_thumb.j

Thanks almudawi. Im not sure on boxes but the website says 3500 cigar count. Here is a picture with the door open that I downloaded off of a website.

post-16826-0-39682700-1368208301_thumb.j