The lovely tongue

Well, I am the proud recipient of a beautiful HQ box of LGC, but I can't help but wonder, is there a safe way to remove the nasty tongue sticker off of the great varnished box, without staining, scenting, or leaving all those sticky bits behind?

Input will be much appreciated!

In the past I have taken the cigars out of the box and VERY carefully used my wife's hairdryer to heat up the sticker glue while slowly and again, VERY carefully pulling back the offending sticker. Do not try the old band-aid quick pull method to remove the sticker as it will likely result in a torn box.

Agree, although i'm not so gentle with the hair dryer. Blast it with the heat and what you will find is the glue will literally melt. Once you peel off the sticker you will be left with tacky glue residue on the box which i normally remove with contact cleaner on a rag or somethign similar. You'll need to obviously take the cigars out of the box during this process and sometimes leave the box to sit for a few hours or a day so that the contact cleaner smell is no longer there. Alternatively ive found a few weeks in the humidor seems to help the stickers peel off easier, but ive foudn that helps on raw wood surfaces, and not so much on paper or varnished surfaces.

Ive used this method on several boxes (cohiba, monte, partagas etc) and worked well with all of them, except an aged box were it appears the quality of the sticker is poorer and the sticker keeps tearing.

May I suggest my friend two methods! First take out all the cigars from the boxes and put them in an Ellie Bleu humidor :D the second one, get down to my part o the world, I'll cook a steak and open a great wine, and we can smoke them until the sun goes down!

Good luck in your quest Ryan!

May I suggest my friend two methods! First take out all the cigars from the boxes and put them in an Ellie Bleu humidor :D the second one, get down to my part o the world, I'll cook a steak and open a great wine, and we can smoke them until the sun goes down!

Good luck in your quest Ryan!

Sounds Great!!

I've done the hair dryer thing on a sticker with OK results. Had another box that i was able to peel off slowly. And why is the one onthe top of the box much harder to remove then the one on the bottom...

As members have already described, a hairdryer will usually work with wood boxes (I use this method to remove labels from wine bottles). Residue can be helped with products such as Goo Gone, though there is, at least initially, "aroma".

To be honest, I pay little attention to the warning stickers. I'd probably just cover them with something more appealing / less offensive, than bother with trying to remove them.....