Of Cuban Elevators..

I really liked my casa this time in Havana. I’m done with hotels now in Cuba. Great view of the Malecon, loads of space.

Last year I was staying on the 12th floor of a building on the Malecon. First night there, there was a power cut at 3 in the morning with me in the lift. 2 hours of shouting “Necesito ayuda” and banging out “SOS” on the wall of the lift with my fist brought a very helpful chap with a crowbar.

Texts from Rob Fox who was in a board meeting in Dublin at the time didn’t help much at all. :)

Having said all that, if I had it over again I’d rather take that one-off experience than the time spent waiting on lifts to and from the 20th floor of the Habana Libre hotel..

This year, I was on the 8th floor of another building, much nicer casa. The lift breaks again, this time without me in it. I asked the landlord what the deal was as I wasn’t too into the idea of walking up and down 8 floors every time I wanted to go out.

He tells me, oh that lift sometimes breaks but we have another one. Enter the building, walk up to the first floor, walk across to the other building, there’s a lift there, get that up to the 7th floor, get out, walk across to this building and up the stairs to your floor, no problem.

Leaving that evening, I follow his instructions in reverse, walk down to the 7th floor and across to the other building to get the other lift. This is interesting, this lift door can open without the lift being there, just shaft. There is a big hole in the door where, in the time of the previous government, there would have been safety glass, now there’s a hole big enough to put your head through and see if the lift is coming, never a good idea..when the lift comes it could be used as a cigar guillotine.

Getting into it, much of the floor was rusted out, shaft below visible. Standing at the edge of the lift was the way to go, remembering to keep to knees bent so the femurs don’t enter the abdomen in case the cable snaps..

I saw my landlord the next day, I told him about the lift and how I thought it was maybe a litle dangerous.

“Oh, it’s much more dangerous! But it always works!”

(except, of course, during power cuts as I found out the following night..)

I’ve booked the casa again for next year. :)

Great story and one of the reasons I only book houses when I stay. I use a website that gives you picks and shows the place on a map so you know where you are staying.

My favorites are the houses that are split with the family living in half, that way I can buy the food and have them cook it. Good times :)

I haven't been in years but plan to return soon.

Thanks for the reminder.

I'm all stuck on an elevator, I no longer ascend happily...

It's not broke as much as the power's out, nobody seems to notice me....

lol3.gif

Awwww come on Colt, we notice you. Like one of those old lifts where you have to close the iron doors yourself.wink.png

Great story Ryan.

Lol, cool read, Andy.

When I was in Havanai was out to lunch with Ayala, Punch Joe, Freefallguy and a couple of other Aussies. Lunch was on the 6th floor. After lunch we decided to head off, so headed for the elevator. Unfortunately there wasn't enough room for all of us in the elevator, so Freegallguy and I decided to take the stairwell..... Certainly not the best of ideas - we got two flights of stairs down and it was entirely pitch black - couldn't see your hand in front of your face. We back peddled and got back to where we entered to find the door closed. We finally got it open...

Being that the stairwell door was marked with a clear "use in case of fire" (in Spanish) I was glad the building was not burning!

Ayala said it beautifully about even the most 'modern' of buildings - "such a beautiful place... but you don't have to look long to see its just being held together by a piece of fraying string"

Awwww come on Colt, we notice you. Like one of those old lifts where you have to close the iron doors yourself.wink.png

Harrumph....

I require a proper doorman.

And liftman.

And someone to receive me to take my hat, cloak, gloves, and walking stick.

Clang, clang, elevator doors......

P.S. I also think it's a great story - reminded me of other member Cuban (mis)adventures - getting locked out hotel rooms while in underwear, trips to the hospital emergency room, etc.... smile.png

Harrumph....

I require a proper doorman.

And liftman.

And someone to receive me to take my hat, cloak, gloves, and walking stick.

Clang, clang, elevator doors......

P.S. I also think it's a great story - reminded me of other member Cuban (mis)adventures - getting locked out hotel rooms while in underwear, trips to the hospital emergency room, etc.... smile.png

All these tales make me think I didn't put enough effort into my stay there...will have to go again.