Once embargo lifted...what wil happen to quality of Cuban cigars?

The topic is a pretty interesting one to say the least. I think the deep pocket cigar companies (Fuente, Padron etc.) will eventually put out great products hybrid or otherwise. They may even return to the old seed varieties that supposedly were susceptible to blue mold but, it has been said, put out better tasting tobacco. With their deep pockets they could afford some crop losses and also have the time to properly age and ferment the tobacco. Plus the consistency could be improved upon as well. I would suspect that even with the embargo gone there may not be any exporting of raw tobacco as that would just take jobs away from locals so it may be a moot point for a long time.

The key thing beyond Florida and the voters there are all the people lobbying for their special interests. On one side you have farmers and product sellers in the U.S. wanting access to an unfettered Cuba. On the other side is all the other Caribbean islands, Mexico and perhaps even Florida having no interest for tourist competition 90 miles off our shores. I suspect that Cuba today isn't prepared to compete with them on many levels but would be at some point. So I suspect there are a lot of issues going on besides the politics of the Florida vote likely more than appears evident.

• 3 months later...

Quality goes down.....prices go up. There is no way the Cubans can supply the US market in their current condition. All of the trademarks that Altadis USA owns (non cuban Monte, Por Lar, Romeo, Upman, St. Louis Rey, Trinadad) Cuban counterparts come in day one. The rest go through a protracted court battle. Wholesale of Cubans will go through JR Cigars since Altadis bought them in 2003. Stock price of Imperial Tobacco goes up since they own Altadis and in turn Altadis owns 50% of Habanos SA.

I don't think it will be that big of a deal. Habanos only uses their LCDH's to sell their cigars outside of the distribution network. That will take time to get up and running. Also, some coming back from Cuba have said HSA has stockpiled cigars for the eventual lifting of the embargo, so it may take sometime for the stockpile to be exhausted. Finally, the most pressure will be put on the online retailers who will see an enormous increase in traffic from Americans looking to buy Cuban's legally. It will be a cluster F at first, but will calm down. Eventually, HSA will have to expand to serve all of their existing market and a new American market. That will be the time when we could have a repeat of 99-01. However, I don't see the embargo lifting anytime soon. Unless the Cuban people make a move for freedom I think the USA keep the embargo in it's back pocket. Only being played to help revolution to insure their interests in Cuba.

I don't think it will be that big of a deal. Habanos only uses their LCDH's to sell their cigars outside of the distribution network. That will take time to get up and running. Also, some coming back from Cuba have said HSA has stockpiled cigars for the eventual lifting of the embargo, so it may take sometime for the stockpile to be exhausted. Finally, the most pressure will be put on the online retailers who will see an enormous increase in traffic from Americans looking to buy Cuban's legally. It will be a cluster F at first, but will calm down. Eventually, HSA will have to expand to serve all of their existing market and a new American market. That will be the time when we could have a repeat of 99-01. However, I don't see the embargo lifting anytime soon. Unless the Cuban people make a move for freedom I think the USA keep the embargo in it's back pocket. Only being played to help revolution to insure their interests in Cuba.

I bet they are socking up Guants for us Americans...I bet most Americans would pay up to $15 for those pos lol3.gif

From the cigar perspective I hope the embargo never lifts...

For the sake of the Cuban people I would hope the embargo lifts but only if their own gov can control things enough not to get too greedy and the people suffer.

As to those who think that the NC companies will get their hands on cuban leaf...well that is not going to happen for a long long time. Why in the world would someone let their core material go to the competition?

If you a watch maker you don't sell your internal parts to other guys to make bast*rd versions of your watch.

Habanos will be able to sell anything they make, so there won't be any spare leaf, even the stuff that is currently so bad only the Cubans get it (Selectos, Nacionales, Caceque and such...peso cigars) will be worth gold.