lizards in queensland

Ken Gargett

i believe that the full name is dusky flathead. no idea what a ling cod is. looking at them on the net, i suspect not.

flathead can be great eating. also good fun to catch - the trick being to actually fight them reasonably gently and never raise their head out of the water until you must do so. they go ballistic. if from a boat, get the net uner them before taking hjem out of the water. if on the beach, ride them up in a wave.

they come in on the tide and if you are lucky, you can grab a bundle. only fish i know which has an upper and lower measurement limit (upper as they all turn into females and the biggies vital for breeding).

i had one day on fraser on the west side once where they were seriously on. brilliant. i was fishing pillies. remember a big one coming in behind the bait (you wind in very slow and they ambush it with a big strike). this one followed the bait without striking until the bait was lying next to my bare toes and the large fish 6 inches away. no one moved. for about two minutes, all frozen. then it hit the bait with a strike so fast i never saw it move. caught it but always grateful it chose the pilchard and not my toes.

you need to be real careful handling them as they have nasty, not poisonous, spikes on their back.