Who uses window fans to smoke indoors?

I was at PC Richard today browsing for wine coolers to use as my cigar fortress when I stumbled across some window fans. These are the dual fans that you mount to your window like a AC and you can have them set to suck the air out or to blow in from outside. Then it had me thinking...maybe I can install one and finally smoke in my room?

Assuming I set both fans to suck the air out of my room, if I just hold my cigar near it and blow into the fan, will it suck all the smoke out? Luckily my desk is right next to my window so I can be right next to the fan comfortably. I don't mind a slight scent, as I can also run a scented candle which always does a great job freshening up my room. Mainly, I just want to see how effective this method is, and if anyone uses it regularly to smoke indoors.

I was at PC Richard today browsing for wine coolers to use as my cigar fortress when I stumbled across some window fans. These are the dual fans that you mount to your window like a AC and you can have them set to suck the air out or to blow in from outside. Then it had me thinking...maybe I can install one and finally smoke in my room?

Assuming I set both fans to suck the air out of my room, if I just hold my cigar near it and blow into the fan, will it suck all the smoke out? Luckily my desk is right next to my window so I can be right next to the fan comfortably. I don't mind a slight scent, as I can also run a scented candle which always does a great job freshening up my room. Mainly, I just want to see how effective this method is, and if anyone uses it regularly to smoke indoors.

Let's just say if I even thought about lighting up in the house with a cigar my cigar smoking days would come to a painful ending.....

I smoke indoors from time to time. Mostly during the cold winters when I don't feel like freezing. I use a regular standing fan and place it by an open window so it sucks out most of the smoke. Obviously all the smoke doesn't go out through the window but it works allright. Especially considering the alternative ie. freezing my arse off. I keep running the fan after finishing the cigar but there's definitley a scent the day after. Another day and at least I don't notice any smell. I haven't done this for very long so I don't know how it would work in the long run.

I've smoked in small rooms before while using a window fan. If you smoke RIGHT next to the fan, while allowing enough flow through the doorways to produce a substantial negative pressure in the room.... the smoke will go right out the window. If you smoke farther away than about 3 feet from the fan, the smoke will be allowed to rise up and move around the room. If you have any kind of carpet or draperies, they will tend to absorb the odors. The amount of "stink" that remains will depends on the volume of air that moves through the room... and whether or not there are stagnant pockets of air in the room where smoke is allowed to settle.

When my wife is in a good mood (after a couple of cocktails), she sometimes allows me to smoke in the house. :party: When I do, I will open every window in the house to try and move the smoke. I also use a self-standing HEPA air filter (Austin Air unit) to help remove some of the odors. The odors will usually clear out of the place within 2-3 days.

To wrap things up, I would offer up these pieces of advice:

-Try to isolate smoke to any area with minimal carpeting or draperies

-Keep doors "cracked"... in order to allow for a proper draft while producing a negative pressure environment

-Use additional fans to help circulate the air and help reduce "dead" air pockets in the room

-Use a HEPA air filter if available (Note: the smoke and tar will remain in the HEPA filter... so, it must be replaced often if used to filter a great deal of smoke and odors)

-Even if you don't have any fabrics in the room, the drywall will start to retain odors if exposed to substantial amounts of smoke for a great deal of time

-If you are creating a negative pressure environment inside of your house/apt., then air is being draw into the space through the crevices around the space. Therefore, while running large window fans, you will find that the heating and a/c will run more often in order to maintain temperatures.

Uhm...how 'bout a ceiling fan? And even then only if it's not a cold day! I smoke in a very small living room and always light a stick of incense to be in use while I'm smoking. And I don't know if it's due to the excellent quality of the smokes we choose...but there exists NO smoke-smell in the room soon after I'm done.

Answer to the OP...desperate people? Joking, joking -- cigar smoke will make a room smell no matter the ventilation. It sticks to everything. The best bet to avoid making your house/room smell is to not smoke inside. If you live somewhere where smoking is banned indoor at your B&M you need to go into politics and get the law repealed :)

Yea I figured it wouldnt suck out the smoke 100% but the only way to find out how bad would be to try it. So I went out and bought one (along with my new wine cooler!) I'll report back after I find out how bad it is lol

Interesting responses.

We smoke in our front living room. There is an overhead fan. I have a hepa filter floor model that I run and there is of course a/c when needed. Otherwise the windows are open.

The smoke is cleared out easily.

I feel removing the dead soldiers is essential.

Remember, cigar smoke is not an odor. It is an aroma. :cigar::lol3:

We smoke inside in the winter. An open window nearby is fine, followed by a thorough spraying of Fabreeze. And if you smoke in front of a fireplace, the smoke goes up the chimney too.

Leave the window open for a while and no problem. Even it is is friggin' freezing outside, it is still better than smoking OUTSIDE.

The closest thing to smoking in my house is the garage. And I only do when it is the dead of winter and I don't want to freeze. Next step is going to be to heat and add a ventilation fan to the garage.

When I lived in Chicago, we had a 700 sq ft loft that warmed up in no time. I would run the Austin Air unit with the sliding doors cracked. After I finished smoking, I would fully open both of the sliding doors(only windows in the place)... and put on the parka, gloves, and ski cap. With the hallway door open, all of the smoke would clear out in about 15 minutes. I don't miss it at all.

Lisa, if I knew what snow looked like then maybe I could have been more of a help . . .:)

Aaron, you have to come up in the Wintertime to get that cosy feeling of snow.Then we can smoke inside and outside and in no time we will be on the same page.Deal?

Alright, so just got done smoking in my room about half an hour ago. Had the exhaust fan on and I was pretty much right by it (since my desk is right next to the window anyway) and I blew the smoke out into the fan and saw it all go out. Also had a lit scented candle going at the same time and when I got done all I could smell was the candle. So I thought it worked flawlessly. Then my mom came in the room and she started complaining of how much it smelled like smoke in my room but she does over exaggerate. I probably couldn't smell it because I was too used to it. In conclusion, yes, it probably does have a lingering smell right after but it should be gone by the next day.

If I still smoked cigarettes, this method would have worked well since they only last like 10 minutes and slightly less overpowering than cigars. But blowing cigar smoke for an hour and fifteen minutes probably made it stink more.

I would also think that being so concentrated on keeping the smoke near the fan would dampen the enjoyment of the cigar (it would for me, anyway).

I would also like to quote this. While it wasn't so terrible being right next to the fan, it definitely doesn't beat sitting outside watching the sun set and blowing loads of smoke into the sky freely. But lately it's been kind of cold and breezy so it would've sucked to smoke outdoors anyway. But at least it's good to know I could still smoke in my room and not smell like a B&M.