El Credito review

On my recent trip to Havana I picked up many, many tasty cigars. But I also found something unique, for me anyway. While walking through Plaza das Armas, I got the usual spiel about Cohibas and Montecristos. Thankfully I speak enough Spanish that I told the guy what I really wanted was what he smoked. "Tobacco nacional?" he asked incredulously. Yes, and I told him I'd pay a CUC for one, which I also told him I know is 25 times the cost. (This is before I discovered with the national peso I could buy these myself at a bodega). He was not impressed, but after about 5 minutes came back with a stick for me.

My expectations were very low going into this, but my curiosity was so high, it was the first cigar I smoked after getting home.

post-8479-0-42819800-1338336402.jpg

As you can see, it's a nice enough looking wrapper, if applied rather loosely. The head was also rough looking. Love the band, though:

post-8479-0-96505500-1338336446.jpg

The cigar started far, far smoother than I expected, but not complex and with no depth. There was a pleasant tobacco and roasted nut flavour, but the aftertaste reminded me strongly of smoking cigarettes. Not nice.

post-8479-0-70913500-1338336521.jpg

At the end of the first third, the flavours continued pretty much unchanged, but there was a hint of ginger (first time for that one!), while still nice and smooth.

post-8479-0-40153100-1338336573.jpg

The second third ended pretty much the same way, continuing smooth, light and very enjoyable. (The cigarette aftertaste lasted only the first few puffs).

post-8479-0-62006500-1338336624.jpg

The cigar ended a little harsh, but creamy with hints of gingerbread and smoked meat. Loosest ash I've ever seen, however.

post-8479-0-32650800-1338336683.jpg

I was certainly not disappointed and was happy to find out that what Cubans are smoking are quite nice cigars. 82

• 11 years later...

Kingantz did a review of these at Cigarpass a few years ago. These are still available in the bodegas for locals that are 50+ years old. They get 4 cigars a month. The rest are found in smaller neighborhood markets (bodegas). With some age, I find that the darker wrappers are the best of the bunch. John