45 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I took the day off today. Life's tough. Big question... what to pull from the humidor?

This box of Partagas Serie P No. 2 came from the airport duty free in Santa Clara. Beautiful, rich wrappers. I started this morning at about 11:00 am with a retro mini coke and Ron Santiago de Cuba. Headed out to the yard, where the sun is out, the rain has passed, and the garden is just coming up. I lit with two wooden matches, the last in the box.

post-6690-0-65356000-1338230838.jpg

The first inch or so was pretty mild and although 'nice', it wasn't overly impressive. Good amount of smoke, lovely aroma, but thin in the flavour department, at least for a Partagas pyramide. The choice of rum and coke seemed wise at first, but produced a bit of a sour finish, so I switched to Brazilian americano. Really, life is tough.

Slowly, this cigar started to pick up steam. Mostly mild coffee and toasted tobacco. Welcome flavours, but not overly pronounced. Boy, the coffee made a better pairing. More birdsong and sunshine... emerging flavours of rum cake perhaps, and medium body.

post-6690-0-28241600-1338231792.jpg

The cigar went out, surprisingly. Didn't have a lighter so had to improvise. My tabletop lighter is probably bigger than yours... nice smoking beside the garage!

post-6690-0-91647700-1338231846.jpg

Beautiful flavours on relight, believe it or not. Richer baking spice, coffee, tobacco. Very core, but still not more than medium.

Damn, it went out again. The practicality of my tabletop lighter recedes... found some more wooden matches. Well, I can say that so far this cigar has taken well to being re-lit (something I don't like to do). Much richer now, I can feel the coffee and nicotine on my empty stomach. Now past the halfway point, this stick is showing all the strength you'd expect from a P2... I'm a bit lightheaded, still sitting down! This small batch Brazillian espresso is great... something I picked up at Bumpy's, a cafe near my old office... chocolate, lighter flavours than you'd expect... just what I needed to round out the flavours of this cigar.

post-6690-0-68609500-1338231923.jpg

Just keeps getting richer and stronger. Perfect draw, supple wrapper. Darker flavours and warm sunshine. Enter a bit of dark coffee and milk chocolate. Approaching the nub. This may be a story you've heard before, but it's just great to experience.

Another re-light, and now clove and allspice, coffee and rich tobacco. This is what I expected. Man, I love it when a plan comes together. I'm getting more chocolate and baking spice, laden with rich coffee and bean, maybe a bit of vanilla. Mmmm. It's like Hamlet's cigar! Ooh, bit of menthol and liquorice, and a bit of tar (but still good). My americano tastes light in comparison!

post-6690-0-02520500-1338232642.jpg

Ok, I'll sign off as I approach the last inch. I'd say this cigar started off too light to rate properly, but has evolved into something great. I look forward to these in a couple of years. In all, this cigar demanded a bit of patience. I'm glad I chose today to smoke it, with nobody around and the sun shining. As it heats up it's still getting better... I'm going to say this went from an 87 start to a 91-92 finish over about 2 1/2 hours. Hard to beat what I've got now, especially from a duty free cigar!

Be well, everyone!

Partagas is one of my favorite marcas but I've always had mixed results with the PSP2, though. Sounds like you had mixed results in one cigar, but I'm glad it finished on a high note.

Excellent review... out of all the CC's I've had over the past 6mths, this is the one that has 'blown me away' so-to-speak. Going to smoke one tonight and watch the two latest ep's of "Game of Thrones"! :cigar:

I love the PSP2, but not the one I smoked Sunday night. It had burn probles galore. It probabli went out 10-15 times and tunneled from the first 1/3 until the end I have about 7 left in the box and have nothing but good memories of the rest of the box.

I've tried this cigar since it's initial release & it always falls in the "good but nothing special" catagory. Frankly, the only current production Partagas I find outstanding is the 898. Luckily, I'm well supplied with 98 TPCs, 02 Lonsdales & 06 Coronas. THOSE are some old school Partagas.