London recommendations

I'll bet you say that to all the big hairy cigar aficionados.

When are you coming back out, sactochris? If you time it well, you could coincide with one of Dr Guano's forays.

Or is there a reason no one has ever seen you both in the same room...

Indeed, we pay full-fat taxes. Don't expect grey-market internet warehouse prices (not that there's anything wrong with that!) but there are a good deal of regional editions, and aged stock doesn't attract much of a premium. Also, not being in the EU the shops usually have smoking rooms with interesting and friendly BOTL/SOTLs.

Nic Wing, a highly respected BOTL, has a smartphone app out that guides you through the London cigar highlights for a couple of dollars.

After coming from Spain,Yes everything is expensive in London.

Up to you, really. In London, the smoking rooms of the cigar shops frown on you smoking cigars you have not bought from them. Some of the lounges/gardens don't care too much if you are buying a drink or two, but some might object. Not many I can think of, though.

If you go to the Cubana Cafe in Paris (a cozy little lounge), I've seen patrons not only bring their own cigars, but their own drinks, as well! Cheeky monkeys.

I'd bring a few and mix it up. Non-Cuban cigars are taxed as much as Cubans in London, and are often more expensive. Might be a good opportunity to trade with another patron.

Heading to London on Sunday, then off to Paris the week after. Not sure if I should bring my own smokes or purchase locally?

Generally, cigars are bloody expensive here.

I don't know how this compares to where you live, but I think they are about the most expensive in Europe.

The old cigar shops in London are always worth a look, ie JJ Fox and Sauters, even La Floridita in Soho, which is in a really lively and in a cool part of London.

The one LCDH is a bit of a schlepp if you are staying centrally, and only really has EL/RE stuff. Fox will have a few older and more interesting things.

I would bring my own, and maybe get something special while here.

.. and only really has EL/RE stuff.

They do make a special effort on the EL/REs, but that certainly isn't all they have. The main shop humidor is packed with regular production cigars.

If you're not in a hurry, show an interest and Ajay isn't tearing around with his hair on fire, you might be asked to see some of the astonishing collection in the lower ground floor humidor.

In Belgravia, there is also the cheerful and rarely mentioned Tom Tom cigar and coffee shop. Nice blokes, they introduced me to RASCCs many years ago.

Up to you, really. In London, the smoking rooms of the cigar shops frown on you smoking cigars you have not bought from them. Some of the lounges/gardens don't care too much if you are buying a drink or two, but some might object. Not many I can think of, though.

If you go to the Cubana Cafe in Paris (a cozy little lounge), I've seen patrons not only bring their own cigars, but their own drinks, as well! Cheeky monkeys.

I'd bring a few and mix it up. Non-Cuban cigars are taxed as much as Cubans in London, and are often more expensive. Might be a good opportunity to trade with another patron.

10 Manchester Street are happy for you to bring your own cigars if you spend £25, which is a couple of cocktails and service.

Tom Tom is a good shout for a cigar and a coffee.

The weather is allegedly going to be decent all weekend and into next week so I'd bring your own and find a good pub with a garden or smoke in one of the parks.

Habanos2000, happy to try and suggest a few places if you let me know which part of town you're going to be staying in?

They do make a special effort on the EL/REs, but that certainly isn't all they have. The main shop humidor is packed with regular production cigars.

If you're not in a hurry, show an interest and Ajay isn't tearing around with his hair on fire, you might be asked to see some of the astonishing collection in the lower ground floor humidor.

In Belgravia, there is also the cheerful and rarely mentioned Tom Tom cigar and coffee shop. Nice blokes, they introduced me to RASCCs many years ago.

That's interesting.

I have been in there quite a few times, and have generally recieved a luke warm welcome.

I put this down to not being dressed in a suit.

I was expecting some older, regular production stuff on my first visit, but there was no mention of a downstairs humidor when I mentioned this.

I noticed the welcome warmed as the recession bit.....

Don't remember too many cigars in the shop humi that didn't have two bands...

Not tried Tom Tom, but as I mentioned earlier in this thread, it has been recommended to me, cheers.

I still sadly miss La Floriditas smoking cafe...civilised.

Guys, I appreciate all the insight and advise. While my trip is a family vacation, with 2 teenage boys and a wife that loves to shop, I'm going to try and make it a point to visit as many of the cigar spots you've mentioned as possible.

We're staying just west of Regents Park and of course going all over town as typical crazed tourists would. Some down time with a fine cigar at a legendary location sounds like it could be the perfect way to end a stressful day. Cheers!

Guys, I appreciate all the insight and advise. While my trip is a family vacation, with 2 teenage boys and a wife that loves to shop, I'm going to try and make it a point to visit as many of the cigar spots you've mentioned as possible.

We're staying just west of Regents Park and of course going all over town as typical crazed tourists would. Some down time with a fine cigar at a legendary location sounds like it could be the perfect way to end a stressful day. Cheers!

I'd recommend leaving the wife, the kids and a credit card to enjoy Oxford Street, you could then stroll to Sautters on Mount Street and pick up a cigar. If the weather is good then it's a short walk back to Grosvenor Square gardens where you can smoke next to the American Embassy and watch the world go by. There's also a pub called The Audley at the junction of South Audley Street and Mount Street with seating outside or The Barley Mow on Duke Street is another option in that area. If you want tea or coffee then Higgins on Duke Street is a great option.