London recommendations

I'll be in London (UK) for a few days in July. Time will be limited, so I'm looking for a few cigar-related things to do while I'm there.

I read through the London thread, but given my limited time I'm keen to hear your top 3 recommendations for shops, bars, lounges etc. We are staying in Notting Hill.

Cheers :)

I'll be in London (UK) for a few days in July. Time will be limited, so I'm looking for a few cigar-related things to do while I'm there.

I read through the London thread, but given my limited time I'm keen to hear your top 3 recommendations for shops, bars, lounges etc. We are staying in Notting Hill.

Cheers :)

This might help you buddy http://www.friendsofhabanos.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=98105

If the weather stays as brilliant as it has been then you're in luck

Defo worth a walking trip round the west end to take in Sautters, Foxes and Davidoff - I'd then get a couple of smokes and stroll along the south bank looking across the river back at London

ENJOY!!

In terms of purchasing....I've had good cigars from JJ Fox, Davidoff, Dunhill, all of which are round St James, Mayfair, so within walking distance.

Also good cigars from La Floridita in Soho, Soho is always worth a look around. Shame the smoking bar is gone...sigh...

If you feel like splashing out and having a civilised, or even rare aged cigar(if you can afford it) try the Lanesborough hotels smoking room.....you can by standard production cigars, and a cocktail for around £35 not cheap but....

Boisdales is another great traditional London haunt for the smoker....recommended.

A few on here also recommend Tom Tom...I've not tried it, but am sad not too..seems a bit less formal, if the sun is out you can smoke outside.

I'd recommend Belgo in covent garden for reasonably priced Belgian eats and beer...decent value for London, and in a nice part of town.

I would love to show you these places, but am leaving London in 3 days to go travelling.

Have good trip.

Thanks harmesh. As I said, I did read through that thread. Was more interested to hear people's top two or three recommendations given my limited time (e.g. 'if you're only going to visit one shop, make sure it's this one' etc).

Cheers.

Oops my bad I did not read thru your post, my fav place in London would be the duke hotel at their cigar and cognac garden it's a cozy place by st James. The only setback is you must purchase cigar from the outlet in order to smoke there. Check it out if you have the time.

If you can get out to it the LCDH in teddington run by a guy called Ajay is supposed to be superb and has a members only lounge downstairs. I'm told he will let non members use it and he's a great guy to chat to. Might be worth seeing the itinerary for the Cuban roller who is in the uk at the moment

Many thanks for all the replies guys!

If the weather stays as brilliant as it has been then you're in luck

Defo worth a walking trip round the west end to take in Sautters, Foxes and Davidoff - I'd then get a couple of smokes and stroll along the south bank looking across the river back at London

ENJOY!!

Perfect! Thanks for the tip.

If you feel like splashing out and having a civilised, or even rare aged cigar(if you can afford it) try the Lanesborough hotels smoking room.....you can by standard production cigars, and a cocktail for around £35 not cheap but....

Boisdales is another great traditional London haunt for the smoker....recommended.

A few on here also recommend Tom Tom...I've not tried it, but am sad not too..seems a bit less formal, if the sun is out you can smoke outside.

I'd recommend Belgo in covent garden for reasonably priced Belgian eats and beer...decent value for London, and in a nice part of town.

I would love to show you these places, but am leaving London in 3 days to go travelling.

Have good trip.

I have considered spending an afternoon at the Lanesborough but can't really justify that sort of coin. Will consider it though.

And thanks for the Tom Tom recommendation. Sounds great - will check it out.

Have a great trip yourself! :)

If you can get out to it the LCDH in teddington run by a guy called Ajay is supposed to be superb and has a members only lounge downstairs. I'm told he will let non members use it and he's a great guy to chat to. Might be worth seeing the itinerary for the Cuban roller who is in the uk at the moment

Had a quick look at their website but no info about the roller. Will try to find out :thumbsup:

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have a family vacation planned for this July including London and Paris. Can't wait to visit some of these spots!

I ended up having a bit less time in London than I'd hoped but did manage to do the 'Cuban cigar walk' ( http://www.citiesinsound.com/London-Audio-Walks-s/1831.htm ). Make sure you have a full day to yourself if you're going to do the walk. I had to rush it a bit.

Out of the shops, the definite highlight was Sautters Cigars. Make sure you get there. It's only a small store, but in a beautiful building and has some great customs on offer. Davidoff was great to visit too. Was a bit disappointed by JJ Fox, mainly because the museum was closed.

I ended up having a bit less time in London than I'd hoped but did manage to do the 'Cuban cigar walk' ( http://www.citiesinsound.com/London-Audio-Walks-s/1831.htm ). Make sure you have a full day to yourself if you're going to do the walk. I had to rush it a bit.

Out of the shops, the definite highlight was Sautters Cigars. Make sure you get there. It's only a small store, but in a beautiful building and has some great customs on offer. Davidoff was great to visit too. Was a bit disappointed by JJ Fox, mainly because the museum was closed.

And the museum would def be on my must do list, as well as the other spots mentioned. Got my fingers crossed.

• 3 weeks later...

If anyone is visiting London try the "Edward Sahakian Cigar Shop & Lounge" in the Bulgari Hotel (Knightsbridge). It has a great range of vintage and current production cigars, it is properly indoors but it does require you to purchase a cigar from them to 'sample' in the lounge. No minimum spend either although the cheapest cigars start around £18. The manager is a guy called Mike and he is very welcoming and knowledgable.

• 3 months later...

I was going to go there but seen it was too far the underground dosen't go over there would have had to take a train and taxie too bad I really wanted to check it out.

The train to Teddington takes less time than the Underground to Heathrow, to toss out an example.

No need to be afraid of the train. Get yourself to Waterloo station, and catch the train to the only LCDH in the UK! Ajay is a very knowledgeable chap, you shouldn't miss his shop if you are in London and like cigars.

I don't consider Teddington any way near London. It's about 40 mins drive.

So you're going to fly all the way to London, but balk at a 40 minute trip to one of the best collections and the only LCDH in the UK?

Teddington isn't part of Greater London, but from Waterloo Station it's a 33 minute (or so) train ride. That's a short trip by London standards.

I only said that Teddington is not part of London. The owner of that La Casa often presents and talks about his shop as if it's located in London. Which we all know is wrong. Why doesn't he rent a place in London like all the other vendors, pay the extra rent and then brag about being in London? It's not like you get better deals in Teddington. The prices are the exact same if not more. Lastly, the "only LCDH" in Europe doesn't mean much in Europe.

Teddington is in the London Borough of Richmond upon Thames, part of Greater London. Yes it certainly isn't central London and doesn't have a London post code, but the owner is hardly being disingenuous in saying that his store is in London. London Luton London Gatwick even "London Oxford" yes, but there is no dishonesty here.

Teddington is in the London Borough of Richmond upon Thames, part of Greater London. Yes it certainly isn't central London and doesn't have a London post code, but the owner is hardly being disingenuous in saying that his store is in London. London Luton London Gatwick even "London Oxford" yes, but there is no dishonesty here.

nicely put, if you miss out on going to Ajays after flying all the way from Vancouver you will miss a treat

Just walk down St James St there are 3 shops on that one street alone 2 are close to each other the other is at the end of the block. Of course being London they are expensive. I seen a single stick don't remember the brand for 300 pounds.Crazy

Just walk down St James St there are 3 shops on that one street alone 2 are close to each other the other is at the end of the block. Of course being London they are expensive. I seen a single stick don't remember the brand for 300 pounds.Crazy

Indeed, we pay full-fat taxes. Don't expect grey-market internet warehouse prices (not that there's anything wrong with that!) but there are a good deal of regional editions, and aged stock doesn't attract much of a premium. Also, not being in the EU the shops usually have smoking rooms with interesting and friendly BOTL/SOTLs.

Nic Wing, a highly respected BOTL, has a smartphone app out that guides you through the London cigar highlights for a couple of dollars.

What do you mean by not being in the EU? The UK is a member state but just not in the eurozone.

You're right, of course. I only meant to suggest that smoking rooms associated with shops are common in London, but not always present in Dublin and mainland Europe shops.