Bands cut too long?

joshb

Hey guys, I'm seeing something strange on some Siglo IIIs I just received (via third party, not direct from my trusted vendors), and I was curious if any of you have seen similar issues on any known legit sticks.

The bands on these sticks appear to be cut quite long and the ends wrap all the way around to come close to and in a couple cases actually meet with the 'C' in Cohiba. The bands compare favorably with some known good bands i have, the only detectable difference being a slightly more orange tint to the background color, but these bands are from '09 while the known good bands are '11. The cigars look good and there's no real warning signs or alarm bells going off in general, just the band issue.

I know qc on things like print calibration etc can be spotty, but I've never seen this exact issue before. Any input?

Best,

Josh

Fair enough, the pics are iPad camera pics, so they most likely won't illustrate anything more than my description ;) here they are, but I'll post back once I smoke one in the next couple weeks.

61a1e879.jpg

00944043.jpg

I really don't usually pay much attention to these things, but my initial thought is that the band was intended for a larger ring cigar

(but I don't know if there are multiple band sizes).

I know, helpful.....

I really don't usually pay much attention to these things

I don't usually either, this was pretty curious though. I'd imagine the bands are printed at one scale cut to length at some point, but i have no real idea. I'm actually not paticularly suspect about these cigars since they really seem perfectly fine otherwise, so perhaps this wasn't the best choice of forum ;)

The choice of forum is no issue, we are all friends here. What is being pointed out I think is that sometimes unscrupulous types take bands from one cigar, maybe genuine ones, and put them on others, probably not what they say they are. Most likely cheaper non- Cuban sticks.

Cohiba and other brands have strict quality control and would never let a cigar leave the factory like that.

Smoke it and take it for what it is- if it sucks, pitch it.

I was wondering how long it would take this to show up somewhere. Here are the facts about these cigars:

They came from me.

I bought them directly from a trusted vendor in HK that I do not need to mention by name as I am sure anyone who has been involved in cuban cigars for more than 2 minutes knows.

I smoked almost the entire box myself and found no issues between these and the other 4 boxes of sig 3 I have smoked previously.

I communicated all this to the OP, and also offered a refund on the 5 cigars as I don't have the time or patience to deal with this kind of nonsense.

That being said I never even noticed the bands as I trust my sources and have bought enough cigars to know that QC on the island in fact is terrible, and to judge a cigar, person, and vendor by the way a band is glued or cut is plain ignorant. Again anyone who has handled more than 2 boxes of cigars knows this. Lastly by chance I posted a pic on the intact box in question in the photo gallery if you look close enough you can see the sloppy bands.

dsc02556v.jpg

If I offended, I apologize. Like I said, we are all friends here. But honestly, the OP Showed one stick, and Cohibas have to be the most faked, so cut me some slack here? :unknown::smartass:

Happy smokes,

Lisa

I've honestly been debating even replying to this, but feel I should. I never did nor intended to bring your name into this post in any way, so I was a bit taken aback by your response. I was posing a fair question based on the bands on the 5 cigars I had, and the fact that I haven't seen this issue before.

I bought them directly from a trusted vendor in HK that I do not need to mention by name as I am sure anyone who has been involved in cuban cigars for more than 2 minutes knows.

I smoked almost the entire box myself and found no issues between these and the other 4 boxes of sig 3 I have smoked previously.

I communicated all this to the OP, and also offered a refund on the 5 cigars as I don't have the time or patience to deal with this kind of nonsense.

As soon as you relayed to me the vendor these were from and your experience with them I felt very comfortable with the situation, and as we discussed, if I had any question regarding the sticks after I smoked one we could work it out. I didn't post to this thread after I recieved your response, and as far as I was concerned the matter was resolved between us. I still don't believe that my very polite inquiry to you was nonsense, but we'll agree to disagree there I suppose.

That being said I never even noticed the bands as I trust my sources and have bought enough cigars to know that QC on the island in fact is terrible, and to judge a cigar, person, and vendor by the way a band is glued or cut is plain ignorant. Again anyone who has handled more than 2 boxes of cigars knows this. Lastly by chance I posted a pic on the intact box in question in the photo gallery if you look close enough you can see the sloppy bands.

I certainly don't claim to be an expert on cigars, cuban or otherwise, but i have a few years of cumulative experience smoking them and have certainly handled more than a couple boxes. Asking this question here was an innocent way to try and gather a data point(s) about the issue at hand.

This type of interaction sums up perfectly why I generally stay off internet forums. Cheers.

I'm actually not paticularly suspect about these cigars since they really seem perfectly fine otherwise, so perhaps this wasn't the best choice of forum ;)

I got the impression from the get-go that OP just wanted some advice and opinions on bands etc. rather than insinuate any kind of counterfeit product... at one point he even says he isn't going to mention the supplier.

Regardless, this thread is a little close to dancing on "Rule 5- No Discussion of Sources and Prices"... I'm not sure how strict this is enforced, but perhaps we call it a day considering everyone seems to be arguing the same point :)

Regardless, this thread is a little close to dancing on "Rule 5- No Discussion of Sources and Prices"... I'm not sure how strict this is enforced, but perhaps we call it a day considering everyone seems to be arguing the same point :)

I think this thread has run its useful purpose.