RH - 70% vs 65%

Jason55555

Month ago after doing some online reading I had decided to throw my hat in with the aficionados and store my CC AT 65%. After smoking a PSD4 at 65% RH found that the burn is way better....but not sure how 65% RH effected the taste, I've now got a PSD4 in my desktop humidor that I keep at 70% and I'm going to smoke it soon to see if there is difference. I know that the reason aficionados preferred the 65RH is for aging reasons for the long run. I'm worried/perplexed because I like tasting my CC ever so often, and worried that having them at 65% I'm interfearing with the flavors (short term) since storing at cigars at 65%RH makes a cigar a bit more dry,I know 65% is good for aging but how about just a daily casual smoke? Would 70% bring out more flavors or taste originally how the cigar makers wanted it to taste?

Therefore another q for members who have already have had experiences experimenting with different RH, how different or noticeable did you find your smokes when stored at different RH's? Taste Wise/Burn Wise/ETC

********keep in mind I know that everyone has personal preferences and it up to the individual person to decide what RH makes there cigars perform & taste better, but I'm just looking for a generalized opinion of members personal exp.

65% has much more to do with how the cigar smokes than just long term aging. I prefer mine at 63 % and will still drybox for 24 hours before smoking. One of the main facotrs affecting the taste is the burn. And in theory, yes 65% is a little dryer than 70%, but by no means is 65% or even 60% considered dry. 65% is still very wet, I know Ray (PigFish) will and has supported this with scientific facts and data.

65% is not dry enough to start losing of muddling flavors, it is just on the high end of the spectrum to be just dry enough to provide a much more open and even burn, therefore giving you a better draw and much more flavorful smoke.

65% is far, far away from being detrimentally dry.

My 2 cents.

I used to keep my cigars at 68-69%. When I went to 63% they smoked better, burned better, and didn't try to go out with 2 inches left almost every time. They smoke better where I live lower than 65% but not much lower.

Got my wine cooler humidor up and running, I keep it at 65% but my desktop is 70% I keep non Cubans in there only now aka Gurkhas,Rocky Patel, Opus X but I heard on various cigars sites that non Cubans smoke better at 70 and CC are better at 65 and lower Myth or Fact?? hummmmmm.... :lookaround:

I hadn't noticed any difference until I started keeping a second humidor at my office. I've found that I preferred the lower humidity (low 60s vs mid to upper 60s) and I've since attempted to lower the humidity at home

Just my opinion.. sure wish that the 2 lbs of beads I bought were 65% instead of the 70% now

• 2 weeks later...

I prefer to stick with 62% - 66% humidy. I haven't noticed a taste difference in my CCs however sometimes I did notice a slight change in my NCs when they are higher around 70%. For me though the burn is so much better at the low to mid 60s that it negates any difference that I've had in tastes.