Tight Draw

I know this supposedly "doesn't happen anymore," but I get sticks all the time that are way too tight. Rarely fully plugged, but tight enough to not smoke or taste right. I have a box of Cohiba Corona Especiales from 2006 that's nearly all practically plugged, and have had quite a few sticks out of 2007-2010 boxes that are really tight as well. There are a couple things you can try:

1) Dry box (leave it at a lower rH for a few days

2) Re-cut further down. Tight spots seem to happen more regularly closer to the head of the cigar

3) Draw-poker. Be really careful on thin ring cigars, but I will use a poker on anything as a last resort

4) Try it anyway. Sometimes, cigars will open up as it smokes ... this seems pretty rare, but i've had it happen. So I'll often try to smoke it anyway, but bring another cigar out with me because it probably wont' work.

4) Try it anyway. Sometimes, cigars will open up as it smokes ... this seems pretty rare, but i've had it happen. So I'll often try to smoke it anyway, but bring another cigar out with me because it probably wont' work.

Whether it's fixable through smoking really depends on the vitola for me. I had a Lusi this weekend that had a tight draw and poor smoke production at first. By the end, it was a fantastic cigar. When it comes to "A"-size cigars, those are almost *all* tough draw-wise at first.

So I would give a cigar that is fairly substantial (45+ RG and longer than 6") some space to develop. If it's a skinny cigar or a robusto, I'd say forget it if it can't draw correctly after a proper cut, however.

You sure the behike was real? Draw is very consistent on all the ones I've smoked maybe it needs a bigger shinier band.

No problem with d4s, tossem and spark up another though quality has been great since last year. Also helps I keep my rh at 62 so if it's plugged it's a rolling issue.

I try to massage the plug out first, and if that doesn't work I'll take a BBQ skewer and run it right through the middle cigar to give it better airflow. When doing this, you have to be careful not to run it through too quickly, or you may punch through the side of the cigar or pop the wrapper.

If all that fails, I just toss the cigar.... :thumbsdwn: But hate doing that!!

First BHK52 I had was similar, not fully plugged buyt tight after about 3 months rest...I think ill pick up a draw poker at some point...it happens even with these expensive sticks, stings because of the cost but all part of the game