New smoking bylaw passed in Ottawa, Canada

Busy day at Ottawa city hall

Smoking bylaw:

Councilors also passed measures to toughen the city's smoking bylaw. Smokers will now be in violation if caught smoking on city-owned properties including parks and beaches. Smoke-free regulations have also been expanded to include all bar and restaurant patios.

City officials say bylaw officers will start to issue warnings on April 2 and that enforcement will begin in July.

This is very craptastic :mob:

Stretch a rubber band enough and it will snap. Let's push for hundreds and hundreds of inane bylaws, all of which will require more costly jackbooted bylaw officers to police, until the whole farce falls apart under its own weight. Then they will just leave people alone. :thumbsdwn:

as a historian the Antismoking seems to becoming the new puritanism worldwide anyone notice the gradual creeping of other anti-movements aka drinking and fatty foods one can only hope that people start to realize how pointless and a threat to liberty all these laws are r becoming or if not I can see the slow road to civil wars around the world the parallels in England at least to the long build-up of grievances which led to our civil war are actually quite startling.

However one way or another the pot is starting to simmer and the temperature will increase with every draconian law and tax until the whole lot explodes

so wait, Ottawa has now banned smoking on outdoor patios? WTF? business owners can NOT be happy about that...

The majority of patios have been smoke free for a while now. The stupid part was that you could literally just step over the fence that separates the patios from the sidewalk and smoke away. Good luck enforcing this one ... unless they are going to hire a lot more bylaw officers I do not see how they can enforce this.

please ban passing gas in public too, I would love to see a designated farting area :daydream::covermouth:

I'd like to see a ban on perfumes and colognes in public places. All I have to do is get a good whiff of strong perfume/cologne and I almost instantly have a headache. I'd also like to see the colour yellow banned from all clothing because I don't like the look of it and it pisses me off. Passing gas in public, from both ends, should also be banned. And hey, lets also ban and fine people for sneezing in public ... spreading their bodily fluids and contagions all over the place like that. Spitting in public places should also be banned. Now that the flood gates have been opened where do they close?

So, we all b!tch about this but what can we do? Seriously? The US has the CRA lobby group. Perhaps we need to start one? In this case, what is the process for passing the bylaw? Is the public consulted or did city hall just pull it our of their arses?

My blood pressure just went up . . .

All of these politicians are running scared and won't dare stand up to the anti-smoking lobby for fear of being called out for supporting the evil tobacco companies. It also makes it easier because Canada does not manufacture these products like we do in the US, so what voting block or lobby group do they have to be worried about? Your rights are being infringed upon, but no one wants to say anything. When this happened in New York no one wanted to stand up to Mayor Bloomberg because of how powerful he is. And what other city to you associate with smoking more than New York? You guys need to form a lobby or set up a super networking group to identify attorneys etc., who can challenge these law Pro Bono.

My blood pressure just went up . . .

All of these politicians are running scared and won't dare stand up to the anti-smoking lobby for fear of being called out for supporting the evil tobacco companies. It also makes it easier because Canada does not manufacture these products like we do in the US, so what voting block or lobby group do they have to be worried about? Your rights are being infringed upon, but no one wants to say anything. When this happened in New York no one wanted to stand up to Mayor Bloomberg because of how powerful he is. And what other city to you associate with smoking more than New York? You guys need to form a lobby or set up a super networking group to identify attorneys etc., who can challenge these law Pro Bono.

Good point Aaron. We do(did) have tobacco farming up here but not to the extent of the US. The lobby power down there is strong. As for NYC. I totally agree. If any city would be tell politicians to take a flying leap it'd be NYC. I bet Bloomberg enjoys the odd cigar in certain circles.

Frank, you are right. There are surely some nice Cuban cigars being burned in NYC by those who supported this law. And just as surely they are laughing about how it will never apply to them as they secure the liberal voting block who full supports the confiscation of the rights of others to enjoy tobacco products in the open air.

Also, when I was in New York I was told by a bell hop that I could be ticketed for smoking a cigar anywhere in the city. When I asked him how much the ticket was he said over $100. I was just flabbergasted. I knew they had outlawed smoking in Central Park and there are signs at all of the smaller parks prohibiting smoking, but I had no idea of the full extent of the law. I fired but a BRC in protest and walked the streets of the Financial District pissed off, but enjoy my cigar very much. Sometimes you just have to practice civil disobedience to fight these sorts of injustices...there's my rant for the day :)

When they passed the no smoking in public buildings law in Québec, they built a smoking room inside the parliament. So our great politicians whom are after our well being, exclude themselves from the regulations they pass.

When they passed the no smoking in public buildings law in Québec, they built a smoking room inside the parliament. So our great politicians whom are after our well being, exclude themselves from the regulations they pass.

Québec is the most corrupt province in Canada for many reasons and that is just another example.

Québec is the most corrupt province in Canada for many reasons and that is just another example.

Yeah, I'm sure there's none of that **** going on in the rest of Canada. :rotfl:

To some extent, I think it seems that way cause we're the only ones making a public fuss about it, while it's all hush-hush in the other provinces.