Has anyone else had a similar experience

I do however have a problem when people act like I'm strangling kittens in front of them, as if I'm offending them to the very core. I've got even less time for cigarette smokers complaining about cigar smoke, that's like saying the smell of my steak is stopping them enjoying their McDonalds.

Good analogy.

...I do however have a problem when people act like I'm strangling kittens in front of them, as if I'm offending them to the very core. I've got even less time for cigarette smokers complaining about cigar smoke, that's like saying the smell of my steak is stopping them enjoying their McDonalds.

Wow. Yeah, this is GOOD.....well said, man!

I love being told that my cigar is stinking the place up. :cigar:

If I am sitting in the designated outdoor smoking area, as is required by law, and then told to put it out because people are complaining I make sure that I call a mate to join me and then light up another just to piss them right off. The one I love the best is when someone who isn't smoking at all, but is sitting in the smokers area complains, that's just too easy for me then. :stir:

EXACTLY :2thumbs:

Been there, copped that. I used to go for a quiet after work smoke at the local RSL. As it was usually around 5pm, the outdoor smoking area was typically empty (the youngsters don't rock in until after 7pm) and my mate (cigarette smoker) and I would be the only ones out there.

The last time I was there, we'd been sitting there for about 45mins when a gaggle of 20yr olds came along. They were hardly in the area before they were already lighting up there cigarettes (smoke was wafting back into the club through the open door), then proceeded to plonk themselves right behind me.

Five minutes later, I get tapped on the shoulder and was told, "That stinks! Put it out or smoke somewhere else". I just replied, "I find cigarette smoke offensive. Why not put yours out or smoke elsewhere?"

Why they can smoke anywhere in the "Smoking Area" but I can't, is beyond me. Even in the smoking community, cigar smokers are discriminated against!

Thats a good article, but think of it from an evolutionary perspective. Rotten/poisonous food (often)smells bad. Nobody tells you it smells bad, you just know. Smell spoiled milk for instance. We ALL have an averse reaction to it. Feces is another example. Its gross not becayse somebody told us it is, its gross because we simply know. Then there are the sweeter, pleasant smells like honey or baked goods (or a cigar for some people). They are pleasant smells because of innate associations. The averse reaction to smells is one defence mechanism that has come with us through time in order to ensure the survival of the species. If we all ran around eating rotten brontosaurus meat when we were cavemen, we would not be here.

I don't know about that Shlomo. Explain why some people love the smell of durian? Personally, it smells like rotting garbage to me.

I love being told that my cigar is stinking the place up. :cigar:

If I am sitting in the designated outdoor smoking area, as is required by law, and then told to put it out because people are complaining I make sure that I call a mate to join me and then light up another just to piss them right off. The one I love the best is when someone who isn't smoking at all, but is sitting in the smokers area complains, that's just too easy for me then. :stir:

I do the same thing, tempted to copy Colin Farrel.

But in seriousness,I take the black and white view, if it's a smoking area, I'll smoke in it, and no-one will prevent me from doing so.

I wouldn't dream of smoking in a non smoking area.

I tend to get a more favourable reaction when out and about, as people tell me about their uncle Albert who used to smoke cigars, and the smell evokes a happy memory for them.

For me, the shame in England is that we adopted the "hardcore" smoking laws, ie nowhere in doors without provision of an expensive extraction system. While in Berlin (still in the EU) I could smoke in a designated area no probs, as the Germans had adopted a slightly less extreme version.

While I don't smoke cigarettes, and I do understand the health implications of smoking, I do personally feel that the smoking ban in the uk has stepped over the mark into infringing personal rites.

Anyway, the posted topic reminded me of a scene in the great film "In Bruges".

Shown here in two sections....Strong Language......

Great movie !

A friend and I go to a bar/restaurant terrace during the summer maybe once every 2-3 weeks to have a drink and smoke cigars. Anyone can light up a cigarette anywhere on the terrace, which is huge by the way, but most of the time when we go there, we try to sit far away in a corner so as not to be bothered by dirty looks or people complaining.

But if we get there early enough and there is plenty of spaces to sit, we sit a bit closer to the entrance and if people come sit near us after, well too bad for them if they don't like it.

But everytime we go there, when we arrive and sit down or leave and walk out, people look at us funny with our cigar caddys in hand ... but if it was cigarette packs, no one would notice.