My Cigars are Ruined!

I believe it will be all okay buddy. I kid you not. I had a package of Mag 46 show up on my door 14 months in transit =)...

Your cabinet must have visited ISS...

One day at a time Chris.

We all feel for you mate and you have had plenty of great and correct advice. I would take Shrink up on his offer .

Cigars believe it or not are resilient little buggers.

had a full plastic bin/humidor of cigars forgotten in the open attic - a few hundreds of them... been stored there for a few years, thru the winters and hot summers.... found them, put them in a semi dry humidor (around 50%) for couple of weeks, then just put them in my tower among the rest. Couldnt tell the difference, that batch is now 10+ year old, and whatever is left smokes just great. It may be my dulled palate...but the whole religiouls adherence to strict humidity/temperature conditions is way overblown, imo. How does cubatobaco stores their stash of millions of sticks for years? are they climate controlled within 2 degrees? maybe...but i doubt it. Till mid 20th century cigars werent artificially humidified at all (not to mention temperature control). that said - 60-65% cigars taste and smoke best - but storage history may have much lesser impact on final thaste than it's commonly believed

So sorry to hear this. There seems to be a lot of great advice and I second Rob's thoughts on taking Shrink up on his offer. Sounds like he can hook you up with some people who have much experience with this problem.

Thanks everyone for your kind words and good advice!

I will PM shrink now to get those details, and corroborate all the information there and here to come up with the best plan for restoring these cigars. I have hope - all may not yet be lost!

Thanks again everyone, I will post on my progress once I get everything started!

To those with whom I had trades arranged - none of your cigars have been damaged, they were either with me on the ship and thus well-kept, or they were stored separately in Box-sized humipouches and are in excellent shape. If they had been damaged, I would never think to actually send them to you in such a state, not to worry!

One day at a time Chris.

We all feel for you mate and you have had plenty of great and correct advice. I would take Shrink up on his offer .

Cigars believe it or not are resilient little buggers.

Regardless of being someone who is rather picky about my cigar storage I have to agree with the above sentiment. As Cubn citizens, I don't really believe that cigars are that thoughtfully taken care of on Isla Cuba. Like the Cuban people who make them they are rather resilient to abuse! And frankly a lot of folks like me are just old hens when in comes to cigar environment.

I have to think, considering the processing of tobacco, the fermentation, wetting and drying... you have done absolutely no harm at all to them Chris. I would however be concerned about cracking if the filler hydrates faster than the binder or wrapper.

I would consider moving them to an airtight container where you can monitor the amount of water that you feed them and make every attempt to not allow them to vary too greatly in temperature. I think temperature fluctuations while tobacco is brittle could cause you some structural issues, but I am just guessing. I would slowly introduce them to water vapor again, and not worry about it.

If you are in need of a care package... to pull you though, I am your man mate and can spare a few sticks for you my friend. You let me know if I can help you out in any way. -Ray