My first Cuban cigar experience (talk about newbie!)

Hello, all,

I have smoked cigars here in the US for around 15 years, but until one month ago, I had never smoked a Cuban cigar. I was on vacation (destination wedding) in the Caribbean with my family and we found our way to a cigar store I had read to be reputable. I told the gentleman that I had never smoked a Cuban, and I told him what I normally enjoy at home, after which he pointed me to a Cohiba Robusto.

A couple of nights later, my Father-in-law, Brother-in-law and I all lit up our respective purchase. I was the only one that had selected the Cohiba; the others got something else, also Cuban, but I didn’t pay any attention to what they were. The others didn’t necessarily care for theirs; harsh, bitter, and poor/tight draw were mentioned. I, on the other hand, thought my selection was far and away the best cigar I had every smoked. Not even close, really. Beautiful draw, creamy, burned wonderfully…I just couldn’t believe what I had been smoking all of my life compared to this cigar!

I’ve done some reading on this forum (my newfound lust led me to you fine folks) and it seems that the particular cigar I smoked has a good reputation, perhaps the 75th percentile? However, compared to my previous smoking experience, it was extremely special to me and I am hooked! I told my BIL last night that I don’t even want to look at what is sitting in my humidor and I’m now ruined for life!

Do you all remember your first Cuban smoke? If so, was your experience similar to mine? I’m guessing with the global audience here, many of you may have started with Cubans and never looked back.

Since I really liked this particular cigar, what advice would you all offer as to what I should explore purchasing? My budget will be fairly modest to begin my inventory, perhaps $300-$500 USD. I would like a mix of something I could hold on to and age for special occasions, and something that would be pleasurable now and that I can occasionally treat myself and a few friends to in between my non-Cuban smokes. I wish my budget were greater, but my wife and I are newlyweds and are saving for a new house (plus we’re paying off the honeymoon). I thought of just using some of the many cigar reviews on the forum and diving in, but this will likely be a once-a-year purchase for me due to the aforementioned budget crunch, and frankly, I don’t want to screw it up.

My sincere apologies for the long, self-serving post, and my deepest gratitude for your guidance and expertise, where I have none.

Cheers!

Joe

Welcome to the site!

You're lucky to have smoke such a great cigar for your first time! The shopkeeper was very nice giving you one of the most expensive in his shop :rotfl: The Cohiba Robusto is a fantastic cigar though, something that most of us probably didn't get around to trying until we were further into the hobby.

My first was a Quintero Panatela about five years ago, nothing fancy just basic good cuban tobacco. It made me want to go out and explore the rest of the world of Cuban cigars.

I'm sure you'll be able to get tons of advice to help you decide what you should buy :thumbsup:

If you like the robusto format - I would suggest buying one or two of the robusto samplers that the Czar offers. They will give you a chance to sample many of the marcas and all of the cigars will be choice examples.

Step #1: Sell all of your Non Cubans on Craigslist, they should sell easy, and add that money to your budget.

Never look back, never ever look back!

Buy the Czar:

Piramid Sampler

Petit Corona Sampler

Robusto Sampler

Partagas Party Pack

Singles : HU Sir Winston, Cohiba Siglo VI, Cohiba Behike 52.

My suggestion to you would also be to check out one of the samplers from our FoH host, Cigar Czar. There are several varieties to choose from. When starting out with Cuban cigars, avoid buying an entire box until you've had a chance to smoke what's available to you. In the Robusto format, there is tons to choose from.

A Robusto sampler is a very good idea.

If I was starting my collection again and had $500 I would buy 10 packs of:

Monte No. 2 (wish they did and Upmann No. 2 in 10 packs.....)

Upmann Mag 50

Partagas D4

Hoyo Epicure Espeical

Monte Petit Edmundo

Cohiba Secretos

You would have a nice mix of main line marcas in different sizes and profiles to help you learn about what you like. Cheers and happy smoking.

I'll echo what some others have said and the sampler packs would be a very good grab to start off with and then you can figure out which flavour profiles you enjoy most.

Welcome, agree re the above, my first CC was a Sancho Panza Non plus and I have always had a soft spot for this, less that grand, brand since, try as much as you can and don't ignore the small smokes..Partagas shorts & Trinidad Reyes and most other petit coronas are good representations of the Marques in my opinion.

My first was in Cuba(Varadero) on an AI vacay last year. I had been having Cohiba cigarillos during the week but never a real cigar. Anyways, first one was a Cohiba Maduro 5 Genios. I had about 6-8 glasses of rum and about 4 or 5 espressos with it..I was sick all night.

Since then I've been smitten by these things.

I remember my first Cuban cigar. It was a PC sized Upmann I got up in Vancouver Canada. It was one of cigars that I wish would never end.:wub: After that I was on a misson to find more.

Unfortunatly I can't think of another cigar that is a good alternative to the Cohiba Robusto. They are their own animal.

As mentioned the H. Upmann Sir Winston is a must try.

:buddies: Welcome NMjoe, glad to know you, glad to have you, glad to share with you! My VERY first Habana cigar was a Montecristo Especial No.2. Not much flavor IMHO but I was glad as hell to have it. Now I have many Havanas to enjoy - which are more my preferred size. BTW I ADORE your governor there! Mr. Richardson is a fine, fine human being and he turns me on!! :wub:

:buddies: Welcome NMjoe, glad to know you, glad to have you, glad to share with you! My VERY first Habana cigar was a Montecristo Especial No.2. Not much flavor IMHO but I was glad as hell to have it. Now I have many Havanas to enjoy - which are more my preferred size. BTW I ADORE your governor there! Mr. Richardson is a fine, fine human being and he turns me on!! :wub:

Thanks, Cigcars! What do you enjoy smoking now?

Well, Governor Bill is no longer, in fact, we don't really see or hear much from him anymore, other than the occasional news report that the FBI is investigating financial improprieties from his tenure as our own little Governator. :lookaround:

I really appreciate the welcome! A great group of people are here, in my short experience.

Joe

Joe, first of all welcome to FOH. Your enthusiasm reminds me so much of myself about 4 years and 1500 cigars ago. In fact, I had a similar budget crunch when I started out. Here is my advice: focus on trying as many different brands and sizes of each brand. You have smoked a fantastic cigar in the iconic Cohiba Robusto but keep an open mind and believe me when I tell you that each brand is unique and will offer you a completely different flavor profile. To complicate matters even more each size within each brand has a unique blend. Now you are going to receive a ton of different ideas of what to buy but you should have Rob and Smithy put together a sampler of cigars that are representative of the brand and of affordable cigars so you can experience a wider range. Dont buy any boxes until you have sampled quite a bit as it will help you make smart purchases with what you enjoy. As a good rule of thumb Petit coronas in most brands offer your best bang for the buck. Good luck and keep us updated on what you are enjoying. If I wasnt 800 miles away from my humidor I would send you a sampler myself pro bono. Enjoy the journey.

Joe, first of all welcome to FOH. Your enthusiasm reminds me so much of myself about 4 years and 1500 cigars ago. In fact, I had a similar budget crunch when I started out. Here is my advice: focus on trying as many different brands and sizes of each brand. You have smoked a fantastic cigar in the iconic Cohiba Robusto but keep an open mind and believe me when I tell you that each brand is unique and will offer you a completely different flavor profile. To complicate matters even more each size within each brand has a unique blend. Now you are going to receive a ton of different ideas of what to buy but you should have Rob and Smithy put together a sampler of cigars that are representative of the brand and of affordable cigars so you can experience a wider range. Dont buy any boxes until you have sampled quite a bit as it will help you make smart purchases with what you enjoy. As a good rule of thumb Petit coronas in most brands offer your best bang for the buck. Good luck and keep us updated on what you are enjoying. If I wasnt 800 miles away from my humidor I would send you a sampler myself pro bono. Enjoy the journey.

aavkk,

I really appreciate your advice and your kind welcome message.

My experience with that Cohiba was magical, and although I now find myself longing to replicate that smoke, I have come to realize that, more importantly than smoking a similar cigar, the experience fundamentally changed my way of thinking about cigars. So, in line with your guidance, I do plan to pull together a modest, diverse purchase my first time out. I look forward to sharing my thoughts about those smokes, with everyone that has been so helpful to me here, once I can finally get a purchase together. In the meantime, I really enjoy reading and learning more on this site.

Cheers to you and yours!

Joe

Joe,

I'd like to chime in with a word of caution based on my own experiences. Sometime the "first" time of anything leaves such a remarkable impression that the second time can be a let down.

That said, don't be disappointed should your next CR or whatever cigar you choose to smoke not take you to the same heights you remember from the first one. Cuban cigars are definately a journey and while there can be a few bumps in the road once you get to where you want to be going it'll all be worth it.

My first CC experience was a Hoyo DC, back in the mid 90's. That cigar was all the rage at the time and honestly I don't remember it knocking my socks off. But I did note that CC's definately had something going for them that I couldn't find any place else.

Have fun!