Humidifier Refill?

jay83091

Hi Experts,

I've purchased my humidor few weeks ago with traditional rectangle shape humidifier and crystal humidifier gel in a jar.

My digital hygrometer is indicating that it is around 69% humidity after a week but I was wondering, how often do I need to re-fill (re-soak) my traditional rectangle humidifier with distilled water?

I am a total newb, if anyone could recommend me a type of humidifier that works quite well and consistently it will be awesome :)

How's the Hydra electronic humidifier?

I have about 100 cigars in my humidor and it would really suck if I mess them up.

Thanks alot

they won't get messed up quite as easily as you'd think. They're very Tough and somewhat resilient ! :)

A lot depends on your climate (or home humidification as well) - here the winters are very cold and dry and it requires more fillings, where as the summers are hot and humid and filling less often is the case.

Just take it easy and don't stress out about it, have a look every few days and see how your humidity is, and it will probably be just fine. If it's stable at 69 and you see it dropping add a little water. Personally i used to use a puckifier 100 in my desktop - i prefer beads to gel.

I agree with Goalie and Tmac, you want to get the puck from cigarmony, beads will hold a rock steady RH, best investment you can make for your cigars

I have a Hydra electronic humidifier, works great, but my humidor is about the smallest that it can be in. Unless you have a 150+ stick humidor it will be way too much humidification. Like I said though, 150 the smallest that you can put it in. I'm looking to upgrade to a 300 count humi soon. (well I've been looking for a while but that thing called life keeps taking all my spare cigar money). :D

Thanks for your replies.

I am about to purchase those RH beads but which one should I get?

65% or 70%?

I thought 70/70 is the optimal condition for humidor to be in?

70/70 is the general standard, but it really comes down to personal tasted and preferences. Keeping temps at 70 degrees or below is important. You get much above 70 degrees and the risk of beetle infestation goes up dramatically. In terms of humidity there is much more room for variance. Cigars from different manufacturers and different countries seem to flourish under different levels of humidity. With CCs, that seems to be closer to 65rh than 70rh. So my suggestion would be to go with the 65rh beads.

• 1 month later...

70/70 is the general standard, but it really comes down to personal tasted and preferences. Keeping temps at 70 degrees or below is important. You get much above 70 degrees and the risk of beetle infestation goes up dramatically. In terms of humidity there is much more room for variance. Cigars from different manufacturers and different countries seem to flourish under different levels of humidity. With CCs, that seems to be closer to 65rh than 70rh. So my suggestion would be to go with the 65rh beads.

I thought that 75% was proper, also a total humidor newby here. Is there a bad humidity, besides below 60%? What is the negative when the humid is high? Don't mean to steal the thread.

I thought that 75% was proper, also a total humidor newby here. Is there a bad humidity, besides below 60%? What is the negative when the humid is high? Don't mean to steal the thread.

Well, as with many things it comes down to personal preference - if you like how your cigars smoke and taste when stored at 75%, then that's the

right humidity for you. Personally, I feel 75% is pretty damp, leading to tough draws and potentially sour / off flavors.

I sometimes think that we coddle our cigars a bit much - how do we feel when subjected to humidity in the 70s? With no scientific ground to stand

on, I've never had a problem with regards to elasticity etc, with humidity in the low to mid 60s, or even high 50s in the driest of months. I

think I'd rather have my cigars stored on the slightly lower side versus the slightly higher side - but something I feel very important is stability

of climate, with no rapid or extreme changes either way.

I am pretty sure that humidity has nothing to do with beetles. If I am right, it is temps above 70 degrees for extended periods that may lead to outbreaks. Anybody know more about this than me?

I've been told it's a combination of both, but the higher humidty keeps the eggs viable for longer.

I am pretty sure that humidity has nothing to do with beetles. If I am right, it is temps above 70 degrees for extended periods that may lead to outbreaks. Anybody know more about this than me?

Knock on wood... No beetle problems here yet. My temps sit at 78 all year until winter comes. I keep my humi at around 62%.

Finally my 65% RH beads have arrived!!

I've replaced my gel with the 65% RH beads and I am very sure I put the correct amount but my humidity is still at 70% after few days.

Any suggestions please?

Cheers

When you put in the beads, were they completely white? Depending on where you put the beads, previous humidity, air flow, etc, it can take some time for your beads to reduce the RH. Your beads should slowly turn clear as they remove the excess humidity. If they stay completely white, do a salt test to make sure that your hygro is accurate.