Bad day for the Toronto LCDH

Dear all,

Some of you may already have noticed this but for the others you should know that as of last Friday you will not be able to drink your complimentary coffee on the patio of the Toronto LCDH anymore. As the story goes (but correct me if I have muddled the details), it seems that last Friday the shop received the visit of some sort of official inspector who warned the LCDH personnel that by serving their cigar customers free coffees on their patio was considered as acting like a bar for which the Toronto LCDH has, of course, no licence (obviously one could argue in court that since these complimentary coffees were not sold but offeredk, the LCDH patio is not acting like a bar, but what the heck!).

Now, complimentary coffee you will still receive if you ask for it but you will have to consume it inside the shop only. On the other hand, you will still be able to bring your own cup of coffee (bought elsewhere, for instance at the coffee shop next door) and enjoy it with you cigar on the said patio! What a stupid, petty legalistico-bureaucratic world we are living in!

Have a good day and a nice week-end.

Michel

Meanwhile in LCDH Montreal, we can have our coffee, and cigar inside...thats a shame for fellow botl's in toronto...How des serving coffee make you a bar?

Unf***ing beleivable!!!!! God I hate the nanny state that we live in these days.

I am sure that it was some whinging prick sitting on the starbucks patio next door who took offence to the cigar smokers at LCDH and complained to the city.

Well, I know I won't be buying from that Starbucks..their stuff tastes like sh!t anyway.

I may just go over to the SB with a nice big SLR DC, my own coffee and puff my brains out.

I'm so sorry to hear that guys. Someone should stand up to these a-hole bureaucrats. It would be worth the fight in court to show the "nanny state" that some people won't just roll over because they said to do so. What a waste of a wonderful past time. I feel very lucky to have experienced the pleasure of smoking an LCDH cigar while drinking some wonderful Cuban coffee there that same week.

I may just go over to the SB with a nice big SLR DC, my own coffee and puff my brains out.

Anyone up for a Herf sunday morning august 28th at the starbucks patio? :D i'm sure they would love to have 30 cigar smokers on their patio!

I agree with you Orion: yes, it would be fun to go against that advice/decision? On the other hand, who has the time, money and legal expertise to do so? And that is exactly on that that some of these bureaucrats are counting.

I'm so sorry to hear that guys. Someone should stand up to these a-hole bureaucrats. It would be worth the fight in court to show the "nanny state" that some people won't just roll over because they said to do so. What a waste of a wonderful past time. I feel very lucky to have experienced the pleasure of smoking an LCDH cigar while drinking some wonderful Cuban coffee there that same week.

Hi Canadian Beaver,

Not sure to have understood the first part of your sentence (English is not my first language). - Which shop do call your LCDH? - what do you mean by that?

Best,

Michel

Which shop do call your LCDH? And someone call me when you are hangin out OK?

CB

There is only one LCDH in Toronto. It is on Yorkville Ave. beside the Four Seasons in Yorkville.

Hi Canadian Beaver,

Not sure to have understood the first part of your sentence (English is not my first language). - Which shop do call your LCDH? - what do you mean by that?

Best,

Michel

In the OP it says, "last Friday you will not be able to drink your complimentary coffee on the patio of the Toronto LCDH anymore".

So I wanted to know what the LCDH they were referring to, since I thought an LCDH could be a number of locations?

CB

In the OP it says, "last Friday you will not be able to drink your complimentary coffee on the patio of the Toronto LCDH anymore".

So I wanted to know what the LCDH they were referring to, since I thought an LCDH could be a number of locations?

CB

LCDH is "La Casa Del Habano" the trade name of the stores around the world opperating as franchises under Corporation Habanos.

Ok Canadian Beaver, I understand now. As Tmac pointed out there is only one LCDH in our glorious city although a very nice one!

You can usually find me there late in the morning or early in the afternoon once or twice per week although I do not have regular days. I work very close to the shop that explains why I am there at these times. Late afternoons, evenings and week-ends are impossible for me because I have two young, pretty active kids to take care of and a wife who needs some reprieve!

If these times are convenient for you, we can set up a day for a smoking meeting next week, if you want. Always happy to meet new people and fellow cigar lovers.

Best,

Michel

This invitation also apply to anyone who is in downtown Toronto at these times of the week days. Cela va sans dire.

Michel

Ok Canadian Beaver, I understand now. As Tmac pointed out there is only one LCDH in our glorious city although a very nice one!

You can usually find me there late in the morning or early in the afternoon once or twice per week although I do not have regular days. I work very close to the shop that explains why I am there at these times. Late afternoons, evenings and week-ends are impossible for me because I have two young, pretty active kids to take care of and a wife who needs some reprieve!

If these times are convenient for you, we can set up a day for a smoking meeting next week, if you want. Always happy to meet new people and fellow cigar lovers.

Best,

Michel

Someone has got to know a conservative cigar smoking attorney in Toronto willing to take this on Pro-Bono. If this were happening in Arizona I could find a dozen willing and able attorneys to fight this. But maybe that is because this is the wild wild West? Come on Toronto BOTL's use your connections and fight this!!!

it is indeed a sad day for the Toronto LCDH patrons and staff, i was there on Saturday and was informed i could no longer have any food or drink at all on the patio and if i wanted anything i would have to have it inside of the store. from what i was told an inspector came into the store and told them that no food or drink was allowed on the patio not even from outside vendors, and that the inspector apparently saw an individual light their cigar inside of the store. I would think that the new restrictions are as a result of this or that the inspector was having a bad day. I its sad that the Ontario Government has yet again told us we can not do something it was first no smoking in side then smoking in specially enclosed and ventilated rooms & finally not at all and now this whats next the banning of smoking completely. I think that we need to do something about this the US has CRA (cigar rights of America) I think we need to create our own version of this movement in Canada and even in the provinces

i'm with you on that nick, we need a canadian version of the cra to protect the rights of cigar smokers in canada. This is getting out of hand...