A Weddding at La Fontana

El Presidente

The Wedding at La Fontana. June 30th afternoon. by Punch Joe

Yesterday was a very lovely day. Nick, a young Dutch friend of mine joined the Club of the happy married ones! I am certain you can sense the irony behind my words. He always wanted to get married in Havana, with his long time Cuban girlfriend Kelly and the place chosen for the ceremony and after party was La Fontana, a well-known paladar in the heart of Miramar. No gifts required written in the invitation card, made me think twice about bringing a little present but I knew that some cigars wouldn´t be rejected in any way. Having not asked him about the wedding cigars I assumed that department was under control so I decided not bringing any and wondering what the wedding cigars would be.

The invitation reads 3:00 p.m. The heat is really painful especially if one is determined to go there by walking. It is going to be a very promising wedding celebration since the last one I attend, was mine. Happy to see free drinks at the bar downstairs so it was a good idea leaving the bike at home. Started my afternoon out right with a couple of frozen Bucaneros. It´s already 3:00 p.m. and my friend Nicky is still greeting people at the door and no sign of the bride yet. That´s nothing to worry about. My wife came 35 minutes late and I was sweating bullets. What he needs now is a cigar. So do I. Having not bringing any, my wife wisely picked one before coming to the place without telling me. Surprise!; it´s a 60 girth Maduro with 194 mm in the length. Check it out. LOL! I lit this huge specimen (rolled by Juanita´s hands at Melia Cohiba CDH) and right away it promised to be a tough one. It´s the wildest I have tried this year. Crazy, too strong, fresh, spicy… it took the most of me so my wife gave a hand to smoke this bastard off.

post-4-1310424555.jpg

Finally, the wedding cigars arrived. It´s a Cañonazo with custom-made bands to celebrate the tie. I had to put it aside for later delight since I wouldn´t enjoy it now. Still one more hour to finish the bastard. Soon after the music started as the guests were asking for it and I realized the power of alcohol over people, especially if they are happy and they are girls. When the ambience started to heating up, a familiar voice on the back on my neck told me: Cut the fun, grab the cigars and let´s go. We said good bye to the newly weds and had our last drinks on the way back to the entrance.

post-4-1310424647.jpg

Friday, Saturday and Sunday evenings at La Fontana restaurant are best enjoyed with friends, preferably cigar smokers. Going there to spend some time at the bar while smoking used to be part of my program every single Friday for months with a couple of friends who share same interest on cigars and drinks over good conversation. The place has grown big time in the past three years while the Yerbabuena bar is still the indicator on how cool the evening can be in hot Havana. Located at the end of the stairs, left to the entrance after reaching the end of the aisle, the bar resembles the spirit of the speak easies in the late 20´s with the exception that the booze has never been banned. Walls are decorated with paintings of Cuban artists with dim lights providing the place with a cozy ambience that please every taste.

Needless to say where the fun is since it´s allowed smoking in the bar! Born with the slogan the best grill in Havana, they have managed to remain open even in the most difficult times circa 1999. Much has been said about La Fontana which first opened doors in 1995 but if you ever feel tempted to indulge yourselves with great food, drinks and Cuban music here´s a few hints of the place itself.

La Fontana paladar at a glance:

Address: 46 St and 3ra A, No 305 Miramar, Playa.

Owners: Horacio and Ernesto

Tel: + 53 7 202 8337

Web: www.lafontanahavana.info

Booking in advance is recommended.

Must have dishes: A range of 60 dishes including the house special: Grilled Octopus with pesto. Any fish specially Red Snapper, Marlin or Swordfish. Grilled Pork plus Black beans on the side.

Bring your own cigar to the bar and enjoy the mojito served there while listening to live music. Half portions and hot ´n´ cold tapas are offered there as well. Sure you will enjoy until past midnight.

post-4-1310424681.jpg

post-4-1310424697.jpg

post-4-1310424713.jpg

post-4-1310424729.jpg

post-4-1310424747.jpg