Le Vin de Merde defending winegrowers in Languedoc.

laficion

Today Sunday, I had some friends over the house and after a great aperitif, mostly Mojitos, we sat down for a fine lunch.

I asked everyone if they all wanted wine and they all said "YES", It's then that I said that I would open some bottles of "CRAP WINE" They all looked at me horrified :clap: . It was only after I explained the wine that my friends felt relieved and started enjoying the meal & the wine.

The wine is not a joke, it's really called " Le Vin de Merde" and I found this nice little wine from the Languedoc region in the small town of ANIANE.

The wine is made up of 60% Syrah and 40% Grenache Noir and a AOC « Terrasses du Larzac ».

with very enjoyable tastes of red fruits and I must say that it goes down pretty smooth. we did not have any problem finishing the bottles LOL LOL.

Here are two photos of the bottle. on the back label there's an english write up but you'll have to zoom on the Photo. The owner, Jean Marc SPEZIALE, calls the wine," The wine of phillosophers" and adds some of his own phillosophy on the back label.

On the label he has marked " The worst ... hides the best "

post-3705-1307319596.jpg

post-3705-1307319666.jpg

Here is what Jean Marc Speziale said on his site,

http://www.levindemerde.com/

"Each of us keeps in memory the memory of more than disappointing, if not impossible to drink wines

just good to finish in the sink... but to date, only Jean Marc Speziale had the courage.. .or the folly of the claim and to display clearly on the label: "the wine of ****"; Then necessarily it wonder... what...

But when it is discovered that the man is epicurean and defender of taste, there is very likely that, as stated on the label "the worst... hides the best" and that it can be an incentive to overcome our prejudices...

...And certain prejudices die hard.

Thus, despite a remarkable work undertaken for dozens of years by winemakers who have improved the quality of their wine, many consumers remain on the idea that some wines are wines of "****".

With an unprecedented wine crisis, Jean Marc Speziale has created a "special" cuvée and named "the wine of ****", in supports to the winegrowers of its region".

:clap:

That's awesome. :flower: Was the wine itself any good? And on another note, can you find out why the only French wine we get in Canada tends to be swill unless you're shelling out $70+ for a bottle? Was it something we said?

I was wondering the same thing, I never buy french wine here because its just not enjoyable...Its hard to find a nice french wine here in quebec of all places at a decent price. thats why I stick with italian, aussie, new-world wine.

I was wondering the same thing, I never buy french wine here because its just not enjoyable...Its hard to find a nice french wine here in quebec of all places at a decent price. thats why I stick with italian, aussie, new-world wine.

Seriously? Whenever I step into an SAQ 70% of its' stock is French Wine. I too stick to Italian. I've had so many lame bottles of French wine that I've just about given up. What got me curious was a a trip to Paris. My GF and I rented an apartment for a week. We lived like locals, bought groceries and bought lots of French wine to enjoy with our meals. We were getting very good wines in the 3-8 Euro range that put the shame the stuff they stock on our shelves here. The only real standout French wine I had cost me about $90 and it was a gift from a friend who had visited France. Everything here in the LCBO that is considered to be excellent French Wine is behind lock and key in the Vintages section and costs $400+ per bottle. Screw that. I can get excellent Italian, Australian, Chilean and even Ontario wines for a lot less. My conclusion? The French send their swill abroad for general consumption. If you want the good stuff, be prepared to open your chequebook.

Well yeah the SAQ has tons of french wine, but everyone I try in the 15-18$ range, I dont enjoy, for that same price point I can get a exellent italian or aussie wine, or even a great california/oregan/washington wine, or for even less a great new-zeland/south african wine. I've all but given up on french wine, its over-hyped and over priced