HdeM Epi No.2's

I picked up an Epi No.2 at a B&M a couple of weeks ago but I didn't check the age when I bought it. Anyhow...I'm smoking it right now and it seems to be lacking much flavor. The first inch or so was kind of bitter but that faded as it got going. Now, just over the halfway mark it is starting to liven up a bit. Interesting flavors...but it seems to be missing that base of earthy Cuban goodness. Could it be just too young? It had a rough start and required a relight just before the halfway mark.

Still enjoyable...but I guess I was expecting much more.

Thoughts?

Probably a bit young, HdM's need age before they open up, the first year or so they are kind of bland, good, not great. IMO of course, and based on some reviews from fellow botl's, but seems to be unanimous they need age, and the epicure especial even more.

Thanks for the input. I won't let this experience deter me from buying a box to tuck away then. It has been finishing nicely and I am seeing it's potential now. I haven't had much luck with the HdeM's so that would probably explain things.

Epi 2's are definately on the under medium side usually. I have an 2010 box that is smoking very well now but are a mild cigar. That said, I couldn't believe how strong my mystery cigar 2 was and shocked to find out that it was a Hoyo.

I find the Epi #2s are more affected by hydration factors than some. Too moist and it kills the flavor. Do you store at 65%? If so, try dry-boxing at a somewhat lower RH. Of course, age will help, too. :)

Yes, my humidor is at 65%.

Lol...so varying opinions I guess. 5 years...you're killing me! Maybe that will be possible when I've built up some stock.

I enjoy the Epi 2 very much and I do agree that at least a six to twelve month waiting time and a bit lower RH makes a difference.

I love taking long walks in the wood with the dogs. And in the spring, when the firs are budding, they release an aroma that I just love. That aroma mixes very well with the Epi 2. Relaxing by the river with one of those just makes time stop for a while.