Any experience with barcodes?

Peter11216

Hello All,

I'm wondering if anyone has any information to share about using the form on habanos.com to verify barcodes.

I just examined several boxes which were offered for sale.

One of the boxes had the barcode: 00000 3437914

habanos.com reports that

The product is original from Habanos S.A.

HSA: 10.9071.17.0190

Descripcion: MONTECRISTO MONTECRISTO No.2 CB-UW-C/L-12,13-n-25

That's all well and good, but the warranty seal is on a box of "Cohiba robustos." (The seal is also positioned in the pre-2009 fashion, according to the Habanos website.)

Has this happened to anyone else?

Best,

Pete

I haven't encountered this myself, but hey...it's Cuba, right? Stranger things have happened. Taste will tell you all you need to know.

I tried it on a five pack of Cuaba. Said the code was suspect. On another forum, members told me that application was pretty much useless. Legit boxes would appear as counterfeit or as you experienced, listed as something else.

On the boxes that I have tried, it worked so far. However, it was only about 5 of them or so. My other boxes either have the barcode removed (grey market stuff) or they are from the pre-barcode days.

Have used it many times , and have never had a problem. Your case is very odd, but in Cuba anything can happen. The only thing I can say is that is good to have a trusted retailer like FOH.

Pete, I'll mirror what others have said.

I've used the system, on boxes bought from Czar's, from other retailers (both grey and legit), and even from boxes that were bought in Cuba directly at the LCDH stores. Even when putting in the same codes, but on different days, I get varying answers (legit, or legit but a different type [like your example], fake, unknown, system down, etc., etc.)

It's a neat idea for consumers to have accessible to them, but just as in the case with many Cuban-related issues, there's lots of bugs in the system to be worked out.

It's definitely not a 100% reliable system, at all.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Best,

Pete

Thanks much for the input. My initial suspicion was that the warranty seal was stolen, and then sold to someone making counterfeits. I suppose that is a bit of a stretch. (Why would the barcode be entered into system, and then stolen. Presumably, Habanos SA scans the barcodes into the system after they are stuck to boxes. But who knows?) I'm not going to purchase for the guy, anyways. Even though everything else looks legitimate, it doesn't seem worth it.

There's a bit more to the story, but it occurs to me that the guy I was in touch with could use this forum. So I won't go into it, except to say that I'm sure the guy is genuine (e.g. he was cool about giving a lot of info about the cigars), even if his cigars turn out not to be.

Best,

Pete